1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao is the only center in the NBA averaging over 20 points per game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Feb 8, 2006.

Tags:
  1. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

As Rockets' fan and a site for supporting Rockets, Why we spent so much time in questin Yao starter's status. If we do not support our stars, who is going to be? With so many garbage writers over there, and Rockets' fans (even fans' site builter) selected on the side against one of top stars in our team with those writers, Is it not a strange thing? Yao must be really bad, or those fans must have some problems......

2. BullRider

BullRider Member

clutch is biased b/c he added sanity to some crazy yao only fans sayin' yao is as good as duncan??? :eek: we got some ****ed up people over here.

keep it real C, always keep it honest. good to see ya puttin' the smack down on this fool.

3. jlwee

jlwee Member

I agreed yao is not at the same level as Duncan even Duncan is injured the whole season. Yao and camby is debateable!
    But i just dont agreed blamin all on yao on those 0-8 records without T-mac. Out of those 8 games were against Miami, Detriot, Mavs, Phoenix and Indiana(J'O Neal and Artest played) plus the fact all the new signee like alston, swift and DA were all struggle mightily and even D Wes were in shooting slump at the begining of the season.
    But i do blame yao on the loss against New Orleans and Orlando, he should win these games for all the rockets fans but he failed.

Guess, after all yao is not a franchise center after all just like CAmby!

4. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

It's ridiculous to even suggest that Yao is in the same atmosphere as Duncan. Yao is a good player, but Duncan is a champion. However, it's nice to have George Ming defend his son here.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

What are Yao's good statistics, compared to Duncan? He's a better free throw shooter, what else?

Yao's a very good player, but come on.

6. leonking

leonking Rookie

Check nba.com by yourself. Now Yao is better than TD in:

FG% .499 vs .491
    FT%.833 vs .664
    PPG 20.0 vs 19.8

Most importantly, TD's stats are falling dramaticly this year (So do Shark and Ben). What can you predict in the next 2 to 3 years?

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

The thing with Tim Duncan is that he doesn't need to do as much work as he used to a few years ago. His other guys are stepping up big and Duncan isn't really required to throw down 25 and 12 every game

8. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Yeah, without Duncan, Spur may be able to win 60% games.Wihtout Yao, Can Rocket win 30 percent of games? our role players sucks.....

9. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

The thing with Yao Ming is that he doesn't need to do as much shootings as he used to in China. His other guys are jacking up so many shots, Francis and Tmac included. Yao isn't really required to throw down 25 and 12 every game. :D

10. WinkFan

Yes, obviously he's dominating Duncan in those stats. Except for free throws, there's less than 1% difference. If Duncan was averaging 11.5 rebounds, and Yao 11.4, I wouldn't say Duncan was a better rebounder. Since Yao's only averaging 9.3, I can say that. As for the next 2 to 3 years, Duncan is only 29, and he'll be fine. We'll have to see what have what happens with Yao. Maybe in 2-3 years he'll be as good as Duncan. Maybe not.

11. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

It's truely enlightening.

With a mostly negative press around Rockets, I guess we should not indulge ourself into positive thoughts, not even proud parents/fans/homers talking, not even in a supportive thread, in a Rockets forum. Instead, we slap those who dare with truley informative labels, which should help a lot of our fans grip our English.

12. yamingx

yamingx Member

Duncan is a PF, but Yao is a C. How can your guys compare the two great players? Camby is just a good player but not a key player. Nuggets still work normally without Camby. How about Rocket without Yao? Defense is not just showed on rebounds and blocks. How many shoots were affected when Yao standed inside? How many rebounds were tipped to the teammate? Yao is now the western best center and is at same level as Duncan this year if we just consider the inside domination.

13. lalala902102001

The difference between Tim Duncan and Yao Ming is three championship rings and two MVPs.

Enough said.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

im not on either side. but can someone tell me what you guys are even arguing about in the first place?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

20 ppg and 9 rebounds is certainly all star caliber.

Yao is looking good.....

DD

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

I surprised people are so adamant about Yao not being even close to the level of TD. Now, I agree with that to a certain extent. And if you asked me to choose which player I want for this season's playoffs, I'd pick Duncan no doubt.

That said, some of these arguments against Yao is ridiculous. First of all, this is not a "career acomplishment" comparison. It doesn't exactly matter how many titles Duncan has. KG has zero championships. Lebron has zero championships. Yet I'd take them over Duncan of this year. Duncan is a star player now, but no longer a superstar. He WAS that superstar. A player who might be considered the best PF in the history of the NBA. But I don't see that dominance this season nearly as much in the past.

So in a sense, I see the gap between the two players shrinking. If one were to put Yao on the Spurs team in place of Duncan, do you think they'd suffer that much? I can see both the offense and defense running pretty smoothly anyway. The offensive load of the team is now much more spread out to Ginobilli and Parker. Duncan is no longer without a doubt the best player on the team.

17. redeeming

redeeming Contributing Member

Regardless of whether you deem current Yao as good as TD or not, you all wish future Yao AS GREAT AS POSSIBLE, don't you?

If you're a YOF, you should, because of the title of "YOF";

If you're a royal rocktes fan, you should, because Yao is a Rox;

If you're a Yao-hater, well, you're just mean and spiteful, because I can't see Yao being great would do any harm to you.

You're a fan of other teams? Sorry, you've entered the wrong board and no refund of the contribution fee...

18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I think they are arguing over two different topics.

One side is saying that Yao is not yet at the same level of the Tim Duncan when he dominated the league.

The other side is saying that Yao is at the same level of the regressing Tim Duncan this season.

#138 RocketForever, Feb 12, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  19. WinkFan

To clarify, I am saying that Yao is not yet at the same level as Tim Duncan right now.

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

3 points

1) Yao is a great center and doing his usual pre All Star domination routine.
    2) He is nowhere on TD's level despite whatever stats you pull up. The Spurs are notorious for their taking it easy in the regular season, and as such don't place such a big burden on TD as they would in the playoffs so his numbers tend to be down.
    3) Anyone who tries to equate these two guys on the same level needs to be taken to the woodshed and punished with a gerbil, repeatedly.