1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Changes are coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Thanos, Feb 9, 2006.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Paul Pierce + one of their young guns or a draft pick. The Celts have gone nowhere with Pierce and truth be told we haven't with T-Mac either, anybody has to be concerned with T-Mac's back and that fragile frame of his. Paul Pierce hardly misses a game and if not as good as T-Mac he certainly is a top 10 player. Ainge might be receptive to this trade to completely rework his underperforming Celts.

Back problems like T-Macs are common enough, I wonder what the long term prognosis is for his problem. If the prognosis is that it can be treated with exercise and physical therapy but expect him to miss 5-10 games every year then maybe we should consider trading him.

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Mike James would've been perfect for us in situations like these. The dude brought it every night...too bad we couldn't have him and alston at the same time. Maybe we can sign him next season.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Did you copy and paste this from last year?

4. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

i can painfully part with tmac IF that means getting a player of equal caliber. but we are keeping yao for sure till he is deke's age.

5. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

There is simply no way/need to trade Tmac, because:

1. There is no way we get equal value. Think about Orlando, LA, Toroto. You want the Rockets to join them as the teams who traded their franchise players? What do you want in return? Odom? Francis? Draft picks?

2. There is no need. Tmac, when healthy, is extremely talented, lethal and unselfish. He makes everyone happy, I mean EVERYONE. Plus, he's happy here.

6. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I agree totally. You simply don't trade a superstar to get 2 stars.
    As for superstars, I can only see 2 others of equal value, KG and Duncan, and I don't think they will be traded.
    I won't even take Kobe, too selffish.
    Elton Brand is great but from his position, he can't lead.
    Wade, Nash are good leaders but they need the right pieces around them.
    Lebron is the closet but I still prefer TMac's leadership and quality.
    So thanks, but no thanks.

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

We're not trading T-mac. That back is a massive concern, and I'd consider doing a slight downgrade for a healthier player (such as T-mac for Pierce). But because of that back, we can't get anything close to equal value.

For better or worse, we're stuck with T-mac. If he can play through his troubles at an elite level, or Yao can upgrade his game to top 5 caliber, then it's all good. But if T-mac becomes a shell of his former self and we can't get to the next level, then that's the price you pay for shooting for greatness. That's life.

8. Thanos

Thanos Member

Excuse me, but what the heck do you mean by that?

9. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Agreed, 100%.

I like Yao and TMac. I think they've gotten a raw deal with JVG here -- though I've grown to appreciate Jeff, I can't help but wonder how this team would perform under a less totalitarian coach. I don't think Jeff is a bad coach, but I don't think his approach fosters community amongst players nor do I think it encourages Yao or TMac to emerge as individual leaders they could be. When you look at Detroit, a think a lot of their current success stems from the freedom allotted Chauncey Billups and how he's responded to that -- has JVG afforded that opportunity to anyone on this squad?

Whether we do it now or at the end of the season, I think we need to strongly consider a coaching change.

10. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Lebron is the closest thing you can find to T-Mac in this league. And

#1 He's still a young'un with lots of learning to do ...
    #2 He is not even 25% the clutch player that T-Mac is, and
    #3 You probably have a better chance of signing Wilt Chamberlain from the grave than getting LeBron out of Cleveland.

11. Thanos

Thanos Member

The pieces are falling into place. Our rebuilding on the fly is underway.

First it was Baxter...

And then it was Bogans.

Now it is Anderson...

And so we will have ... ?

And I wonder, who's next?

Barry? Moochie? Juwan? Wesley? Mutombo? Bowen? Are any of those guys being packaged with Anderson?

Like I said before, outside of Yao, Tmac and Alston, everyone else is fair game. It was a gut feeling after the Lakers game. Enough is enough. Bring the youngsters in!

Who's next? It's anyone's guess. We can't forget how much JVG seemed to appreciate his pet Jim Jackson, and that didn't stop him from shipping the guy.

12. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

I can tell you that Mutombo is untouchable. As in, he has made up his mind to stay in Houston and retire here. If they try to ship him anywhere else he's going to retire immediately. And Bowen has next to no value. Everyone else, I'd say yeah they're up for grabs. Although I get the feeling Luther's here to stay. He has too much potential for them to let him go in a flimsy trade.

13. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Well yeah it's definitely suspicious...but what do DA and JB have to offer other teams that they can't offer us? My question is how would they be a better fit elsewhere, and what can we get from them? Can we even get a 1st round pick? 2nd round? What type of quality can we get for them?

I just hope Bogans turns out to be a good move. Unless we're getting something reliable in return, I think we should keep Hayes, Swift (yes, stromile), alston, head, wesley, and of course yao, mcgrady.

BTW resting McGrady won't help much with his back

1) it's a chronic thing...the only thing he can prevent is playing when he gets the post-spasm stiffness in his back. the initial spasms will come whenever they do, that can't be helped.

2) for the reasons stated above ADDED ON TO you'd be dooming this team, is tanking what you're for?? i'm NOT for tanking.

I would like our youngin's to get lots of experience though, i mean, once we're mathematically eliminated (if that happens)

I really like our team next year..

14. Thanos

Thanos Member

If we can get a young player like Bogans for Anderson, I'm all for it. It has become clear that we are sorely lacking athleticism. Heck, for his salary, even a 2nd rounder would suffice. We can't forget that Cuttino was picked on the second round. Judging by today's quotes, it doesn't seem like Barry is being traded, but then again... neither did Jim Jackson, and he was shipped. Though it seems that Barry has to agree to a trade for it to happen.

I'll have to say that there conflicting reports about Tmac's back and wether resting would be helpful or not, so I won't defend either stand.

As far as tanking goes... I think that:

1) we should not sacrifice our future for this season. That means, no trading of youngsters for a quick fix.

2) unless we bring a player that can significantly impact our roster - who knows - perhaps Bogans and what we get from the other trades can do that, with this roster, I don't think we are reaching the playoffs/

3) if we can somehow revamp the roster, and still compete, I'm all for it, but I think that our objectives should be more centered around building for next season. And that means, playing Bogans, Hayes, Head and Swift a lot of minutes, while trying to ship our Baggage (Moochie, Barry, Bowen, Howard, Wesley, Mutombo) elsewhere. Howard, Mutombo and Wesley could actually be key reserves on a championship team, playing sparingly, like SA does with Van Exel and Finley.

But the others? It's time for them to go and we must renew our roster with younger players. Barring the obvious exceptions, no one over 28 should be brought in. This league has changed to a league that values speed above all, and our old legs are not keeping up.

15. TIM BREAUX

TIM BREAUX Contributing Member

No changes...no players of value...

Boguns was picked up because that's all the Rockets could get. He won't save the day. Not that caliber of player.

We are going to have to make it with what we have.

16. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

People who think the propblem is with Van Gundy are just plain ignorant. The problem is players with no heart IE Anderson and Swift. The second part of the problem is guys with heart being injured all season long IE Sura and Barry. Tmac will get his back straight in the offseason and we will finally bring in players van gundy wants instead of players LES OR CD WANTS. Hayes and Bogans are Van Gundy types of players and when Sura comes back full time another Van Gundy type player this team will be alot better next season. Go Rockets!!!

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I would make a move for Lewis. Send Stro,Wesley, and Anderson to Sea for Lewis, and throw ins. Then Seattle can extend Radmonvich and have a workable roster. The Rox get younger and bigger by moving T-Mac back to the 2. Alston,T-Mac,Lewis,Howard,and Ming would be ready. Ridinour,Allen,Radmonovich,Swift, and Swift wouldn't be 2 bad either.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'd do that deal if the throw in was Evans.

19. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Lewis is just a downgraded mcgrady, meaning they are pretty much the same player, one with just (much) more talent than the other. Why would we want him? Why would they give him up for stro, wesley,and anderson?

wesley can (spot up and) shoot, anderson is going right? and stro i still believe in...whoever said bogans won't save the day is right, he's just not that caliber of a player. but that doesn't mean he won't be effective off the bench.

I would have liked getting peja because then we can have a sharp shooting sf who would thrive with mcgrady playing the 2. The mismatch for most sg's trying to guard tmac would be monstrous, and if they double, kick it to alston (who's been on fire lately) or peja (who's also been doing well lately).

But then we get to the same problem we have now, who's going to come off the bench for the SF?

I think our team is fine right now (the way it's built), with some more youth and accurate shooters, we should be a force in the west (next seaason) or make a run to the playoffs (this season).