1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao is the only center in the NBA averaging over 20 points per game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Feb 8, 2006.

Tags:
  1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Critical? Assuming money/length of contract whatever were not an issue (as if), would a consensus of NBA GMs trade Camby for:

Miller
    Okur
    Kamen
    Okafor
    Ziggy
    Foster

Of Camby and that list, who are the ones preferred over Yao?

And BTW - none of that list is a big time blocker/rebounder.

2. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

what bothers me even more is that all the media idiots who say yao shouldnt be starting refuse to even mention the possibility of shaq not starting. shaq has played like 3 more games than yao, and yao is putting up better numbers. add in the fact that bosh (yes, he is a center for his team) is easily outperforming shaq this season...it just makes me sick.

spin it any way you want....yao is a clear victim of racism by the black media, and will always be. the guy is the most gentle, harmless, classiest player in the NBA, and no matter how good he is, he will always be hated on by racists like Stephen A. Smith, who can't bear the thought of a Chinese man succeeding in the NBA.

yao is playing as well if not better than any center in the league, he is apparently the most popular player in the NBA worldwide, and, the All Star Game is being played in his NBA hometown for christ's sake. We have a dissappointing record thus far, but it's largely attributed to him missing 15 games. How can anybody in their right mind be that strongly opposed to him not starting???

3. gbao

gbao Contributing Member

Very well said!!!

4. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Well, they think that Yao is soft, sissy even if he scores nearly all his points inside the paint and would prefer some jump shooting center who plays no D to start the ASG before him (Brad Miller).

It does not matter that you can make a strong case that Yao is playing like THE BEST CENTER in the league right now. Even if Shaq averages 15 ppg and 8rpg, he will still rank ahead of Yao as a center, let alone Ben Wallace.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, critical ... but maybe I should say very important. If you had an offensive-minded center who didn't add to your team in key areas like rebounding and shot-blocking, you'd ... well, you'd have Eddy Curry.

Ditto the power forward spot, which has plenty of jobs outside of scoring. If it was all offense, Mo Taylor would work just fine.

I'm not saying Yao is totally deficient in those areas... but he certainly can't afford to drop any in those areas. All I'm saying is Camby, being a much better leaper, is outperforming him clearly in shot-blocking and rebounding.

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There's no racism, there's ethnocentrism, most media, black and white, have a bias against foreign players, same with most American fans. You hear the same type of criticism for Yao as you do with Dirk, Pau, Manu, Parker, Nash and most other foreign players. That's why everyone hates on the US team when they lose in the Olympics or World Championships, they already have it in their heads that the US should dominate everyone and are angry when they don't.

7. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

I think Nash is quite popular. Maybe because he is Canadian? :confused: ;)

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sure it's important. However, how are game plans/shots etc affected by Yao as opposed to game plans/offense affected by Camby? The perfect O and D 5 might be a healthy Zo or even a healthy Okafor. Shaq isn't. His boards are generally low because he's a lazy prima dona, as bas as Kobe on the selfishness charts. Yao is good and the team plays well when he and TMac are healthy and clicking, better as a pair than any twosome not named Diesel and Flash (and that's because of Flash).

When will this management team ever find a positive complementary 4 to Yao's 5 (and a Kittle-type 2 to complement TMac, for that matter)?

Reggie Evans for Luther Head might be a good thought for both teams (as MJax and both #1s for SS with the Netsies is a good thought for both). Even Raef's 3s and weakside blocks would complement Yao better than Howard.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And when you start those two on the same team...you'd have the New York Knicks!

xiki - I'd take this version of Camby over everyone on your list save maybe Brad Miller. I don't get your point. While none of those guys are putting up the eyepopping 13 boards/3 blocks of Camby (with 1.5 steals and 15 points), guys like Okafor and Kaman are certainly notable rebounders/shotblockers. And what is Jeff Foster doing on your list at all?

This says nothing of Yao not being a deserving all-star - I think he's the best center in the league behind a motivated Shaq, followed by Wallace and Camby. But all of those guys are a step above the names you're mentioning.

10. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

in my opinion Nash deserves the MVP again, for the way he has still held up Pheonix without Amare

11. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

the blocks aren't necessarily a bad thing if he is changing the way the other team plays them. Plus Yao has been on reduced minutes since he came back.

12. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

I beg to differ. Even a motivated Shaq is inferior to Yao right now. Shaq cannot even dream of hitting Yao's jumpshots, does not have any low post moves that Yao doesn't do at least as well, if not better, does not play better defense IMO, and don't even get me started on free throw shooting. All he does is throw down a few emphatic dunks and alleyoops each game so that we all don't forget he still exists.

Yao is the best center in the NBA, period.

13. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I see the main difference between Yao's game and Camby's is that teams plan their defensive game plan around stopping Yao. Camby is not factored in at all with Melo / Miller / KMart in Denver.

I think Yao is cleary the best Center in the West and still getting better. Does he need to grab more rebounds and block more shots.. yes if he wants to be considered an elite (superstar) player.

However, I will take a Yao over Camby any day of the week just because of all the attention he demands and open shots he creates for his teammates.

Yao has definately gotten better this year and I hope he tries to get to the line much more moving forward. Yao / Stro attacking the rim will make us unstoppable because its either score or get to the FT line.

J

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

My point is that some of the better centers in the league are OK, just OK. One might take any or none for Camby but it is discussable. You would not discuss Yao for any of them.

Big Ben is a freak and in a perfect situation for his freakish talent. He would not necessarily shine in some other situations. Shaq is a lazy, past his prime stud who, on a given night, can and will still dominate.

Yao and Shaq and Ben and Duncan and ? That is still a short list, even including TD.

15. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Yeah...people will take it for granted that Yao is actually performing better than Tim Duncan this year.

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Canadian is still foreign, and I remember all the crap people took for defending his MVP over Shaq.

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well Yao is scoring more, but that doesn't mean he's performing better. Duncan is a little behind in points, and has a decided edge in rebounds. And he's been a huge part of a top 3 team (Tony Parker being the other huge contributor to their success).

18. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Tsk Tsk Tsk...you American people.... :cool:

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If Nash was black I am sure there would be much less objections to him being MVP, that's just the way NBA is today.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes. But what if he were a black -- foreigner?