1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets don't capitalize on two for one opportunities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aceshigh7, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I have noticed repeatedly during JVG's tenure. At the end of quarters when there is like 45 seconds left or so and the Rox have the ball, they just don't seem conscious of the two for one possession opportunity. When Rudy was here the Rox always got a quick shot off and got a two for one. Why don't these Rockets do the same? I think it's costing us some chances.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

JVG doesn't believe in rushing a shot just to get a 2-for-1. he feels that most teams waste that first possession because they are thinking of getting the ball back.

he would rather spend the needed amount of time to get a good shot off the first time.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, he's slipping back into the ole "ye gotta throw the rock around 18 times before McGrady jacks up the 20 footer" offense again.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think Gundy does a good job, but I'm with ya'll on this one. Two for one is strategically smarter if the opportunity is there, if it isn't you have the rest of the shot clock to get a good shot. His methods don't follow my 'life hands you lemons, make lemonade' philosophy. He should be more open minded about this strategy and others.

5. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

It's been noticeable to me on the road all season long because Matt Bullard likes to point out every single time that the Rockets have a chance to go for the two-for-one. And the Rockets rarely do. McGrady takes it upon himself to do so sometimes, but that's about it.

6. jopatmc

And a lot of the time, we wind up running the shot clock down and relying on an even worse look from McGrady to get the single shot off. With Mcgrady, we oughta come down and as soon as he's open take the shot or if he's covered take it to the rack quickly and create the contact or get off the layup. 6'9" with half court range that can raise up and fire over anybody and can handle and take it to the rack. We should take advantage of every 2 for 1 situation. We're not the Bobcats...............er......or are we?

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

since some of you have braught up tmac's 20ft jumpers:

what bothers me more than JVG's take on the 2-for-1 opportunity is the fact that tmac settles for a jumper WAY too much. any time he drives into the paint he scores. allmost 100% of the time.

i understand that he scores just fine with his jumpers and that he is worried about his back, but when we really need a shot and he goes to a pull-up 3 EVERY time the defense begins to close out on him. he should take it to the rack at that point instead of throwing up another 3.

8. jopatmc

Oh, I agree with you, but the refs just won't call the contact enough for him. McGrady gets mugged every time he goes down there and they blow the whistle maybe 1 out of 4 times. That's a lot of punishment and a lot of turnovers/missed shots to endure. Why do that and take the abuse and not get any points? That's why TMac fires up those bombs rather than driving.

I'm telling you, TMac and Yao do not get one third of the calls they should get. Witness, last night's game. Yao on the right low block. Pass comes in. He turns back towards the middle and drives to the bucket for the layup. 3 defenders are hanging on his arms. No whistle. Go down the other end and somebody goes inside. Yao is standing there and the penetrator barely bumps Yao. Pffffffftt!!!! Foul. McGrady goes through the same thing. He's 6'9" and driving to the basket. He gets hit practically every time. But the refs don't call it like they do when Wade or the smaller guards go in there. McGrady gets abused down there. The only time they call it, is if it is a man advantage fast break, and the defender knocks him down into the camera row in open space.

9. sgm

sgm Member

Yao is standing there and the penetrator barely bumps Yao. Pffffffftt!!!! Foul.

:D :D :D You are so funny~~~

10. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

That's TMac's game. He relies a great deal on jumpers....even back in his days in Orlando. Too many people expect a Kobe or Wade-esque "drive to the hoop every time and get pummelled" type of game from McGrady.

McGrady's body type is lanky and as a result, he doesn't have the same strength to finish around the rim (a la Kobe/Wade) if there's a lot of traffic. If you add in his bad back, it's no surprise he incorporates long range jumpers in his game a lot more. His body won't allow him to take a beating every time down the court. I'm sure McGrady judges the kind of space the defense gives him and decides whether to drive based on that analysis. He only drives when he knows he has a good opportunity to score. Otherwise, it's a jumper.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

McGrady is worth millions. Some doctor needs to come up with a plan to put strength and durability in his back. I know it is possible. It probably just needs to wait until the offseason.