1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

a barkley trade now seems impossible...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achebe, Nov 28, 1999.

Tags:
  1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

when (craig saeger?) the barkley interview was shown at the half on tnt during the hou/por game, barkley said (roughly)

for me to ask to be traded away from the rockets would make me a bad person

he was saying that scottie was a lesser man, of course, but he also put the dagger into any hopes that for barkley's sake (that is, if we are lottery bound by the trade deadline) he be traded to a contender...

2. popeye

popeye Member

I didn't read it that way at all.

I read it as ... there is no way I can ask for a trade ... I would be seen as the same as that gutless wretch Pippen ... I would not want to be seen as another guy desearting a sinking ship.

That does not mean:

* that a trade cannot be had for me.
    * that the Rockets cannot negotiate a trade on my behalf.
    * that I wouldn't agree to a trade if one was put together.
    * that I would refuse to go to another team.

Just that I would or could not ASK or INITIATE a trade away from the Rockets.

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Agree with popeye 100%. Barkley won't go, and Rudy won't dare broach the idea with him, unless it's to a top contender. And if it is, who's going to complain about giving Chuck a final shot at a ring? I love the loudmouth, but he's made it clear this year is his last, and if we're gonna lose him anyway, why not give him a last shot somewhere else and get ourselves a bit of compensation for the future?

The real hitch, IMHO, is that we can't know what we'd get for Chuck without asking around -- which would quickly leak, and it would look like he was being "shopped," and we'd be in the same position Phoenix got into back in '96.

The other thing is, trading him would be an undeniable surrender of this season, and I'm not ready to throw in the towel. We have some major upside coming, and we just don't know yet how long it'll take to kick in. We could very catch fire the way last year's Knicks did.

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

popeye,

if in fact, we are lottery bound my february, I hope that you're right

as a fan of charles i'd rather him go out w/ a fighting chance than in a blaze of nostalgia

i see the worse case scenario to be one where barkley plays the romantic & feels it to be his duty to go down w/ the ship. not only would he have wasted the season, but when the inevitable were to occur and the rockets become an efficient run & gun ship, he'd be seen again as a hinderance rather than a great one.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited November 28, 1999).]

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Will and BlownEyeball,

I would approach Barkley with the idea that after about 30-40 games if the Rockets don't have a chance in hell of making the playoffs, we trade him to a contender. It should be put forth at the beginning of the season, not near the end when it would just seem like we're unloading him.

That being said, I'm not sure exactly what we'd be able to get for him. If we can't get good talent in return, I'd rather not be "stuck" with a late first-round pick. Then again, maybe we could package that first round pick with something else later and move up in the draft... dunno.

The other thing is who that is contending would be willing to part with "good talent" to obtain a player who'll retire in about half-a-season?

All this being said, I'd like for the goon to retire here... he's got more heart and toughness than perhaps any major athlete to ever play in Houston (along with perhaps Nolan Ryan).

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

6. wizard

wizard Member

Barkley being traded is not an issue and will end his career here. People that want him traded...too bad!

7. popeye

popeye Member

Will:

Agree that it would be a touchy go. My feeling is that if it were to ever happen,it would have to be Charles getting permision to backdoor,via personal talks,very hush hush with the guy on the team he is closest with. That would be J. West or P. Jackson in LA or Larry Brown in Phillyville.

Surgeon de L'Basquette:

Actually, regardless of what they are saying in LaLaLand, Rice's position is redundant when Kobe comes back. They still need a Power Forward to compliment AC Green's slashing shooting style.I personally do not think that AC can get banged around for 82 games as the 4 man. They need a ball controlling PF. Chuck would be an excellent compliment to the team. Salaries are both up at the end of the year.

Although we do not desperately need Rice's presence, we could play him or trade him. Just a thought as this is all idle speculation,anyway.

Achebe:

The other team I keep thinking about the Sixers. You want to talk romantic endings. Charles(who swore he would go into the HOF as a Sixer) ending his career as a Sixer. Are you kidding me? They couldn't have written a better script.

Wizard:

I agree he will most likely end his career here. But don't for a moment think that both he and the Rockets would not explore every option as the season unfolds. If there is anything we have learned about both Charles and this organization, is that they will do the unexpected at any given time!

One last thing:

Just to throw a wrench into the mix. Charles and Michael Jordan both have a desire to obtain a part or full ownership in an NBA team. Charles may agree or ask to be sent to one of the teams he has made attempts to invest in. The St Louis/KansasCity Grizzlies. The LA Clippers. The Orlando Magic. Especially if he sees this season as a wash.

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited November 29, 1999).]

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Barkley's contract make it impossible for him to be traded to a contender. Deal with it.

Suppose you are a contender and decide you need help at the power forward position (eg Lakers). To get Barkley, you would have to give up ~$9 M of your players, which most assuredly will gut your bench (and maybe even a starting player) and which will be self defeating to your playoff chase.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

No Worries-
    You are right, but wouldn't re-structuring a contract get around that?

In addition LA might still trade Rice straight up for Chuck. It would be more of a good-will move by Houston, but I think is Dream's injury is serious (4-6 weeks) and the losing continues that they may do it. I think I heard Rice is in the 7-9 mil ballpark.

10. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I think if this team is not doing well then we trade him to a contending team and let him have one more shot at the title.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

The Indiana Pacers are the only team that fits all of the criteria for a Barkley trade:

*somewhat in a Rockets situation. They have enough to win it all, but after this year, they should go with their youth.
    *They are in the East, and Charles could dominate in the East and be that last peice they need to get to the Finals.
    *They lack a dominant inside scorer/presence.

It is for these reasons that I could see a trade of Barkley to Indiana. I can't see anyone else taking him on. The Pacers could trade some guys like Best and Croshere, take on Barkley and go for that last shot at the title. Then, this summer, they can dump that salary, and go completely young with their newfound cap room and their wealth of young talent (Rose, Harrington, Bender). No other team makes so much sense for Barkley.

12. SlamN

SlamN Member

Trade him, the Rockets aren't going anywhere this year. If I were the Rockets, I would trade him for a second rounder or a scrub, just give him a chance with a contender. This guy has given his all for Houston.

13. popeye

popeye Member

Et al:

1. Rice's is around 5.5 to 6.5M this year i believe. So yes it would involve more than Charles and Rice straight up.

2. I agree with cabbage that an Indiana trade would probably be more appropriate for all the reasons he cited. But this will be an emotional decision on Charles's part, and that may play more a role than appropriateness or practicality. Sixer's are in the East and they have lots of players they are attempting to move right now,too. But as I agreed with my friend, Pacers would be the smart move on both team's parts.

SlamN:

I will attempt to cater to your optimistic side a bit ..... This team is not done for the year. Believe it! They would have to be a lot more grey in the center and the flies would have to be buzzing around for me to give up on them,yet.

BTW: Draft picks have no monetary value as far as cap goes. They do not count as parity in a trade ... and cannot offest the salary of a traded player. We would have to get dollar for dollar at 85% (That's $7.65M) for him.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Restructuring Barkley's Contract???

His contract is $9 million for ONE year. How can a one year contract be restructured?

If years are added to the contract, Barkley will not see the $$$ in the out years. For example, if Barkley agrees to a 3 year $3 million per contract, he will only get $3 million for this year and walked away from the remaing $6 million in the out years, when he retires.

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I still firmly believe at some point that Charles will be traded (unless a remarkable turnaround occurs very quickly). The major problem is Barkley's salary. I think if the opportunity came that he would renegotiate this, knowing he would be able to chase the ring. Plus chuck changes his mind so often he may agree to sign a 2 year contract for the 9 mil he is making this year to go to a team in need of a PF.
    I think Philly does make sense, but I think it may be more likely to be either the Lakers, Heat or Pacers. Especially for the Heat & Pacers I think their 2 coaches (Riley & Bird) demonstate a win at all costs mentality. How nice would it be for the pacers to sign chuck to attempt to send Larry & chuck out on top.
    Heat may be tougher because Riley likes "D" from his players, and I don't think Chuck would consistently do that.
    Lakers also seem a possibility, unless they are really thinking about trading for pippen later on this year (I keep hearing people talk about that, but I don't think it is true).
    I believe if Chuck is willing to renogotiate that he may have some value to someone, for current player(s) and hopefully a future low 1st round or 2nd round pick.