1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sold car and buyer never switched name.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Jan 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

What can I do? I sold a car last year and the person who bought my car never changed the title over. The person who bought my car got in a hit and run and took off. The claims person got their insurance to pay for their damanage but now their insurance is coming after me because when they look up the plates on the car, its still under my name.

2. Fatty FatBastard

Did you get a signed bill of sale?

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I guess you aint so lucky after all "LuckyAzn"

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Too bad, no one's going to believe you because they believe all Asians are bad drivers.

Or, what you can do, is call up the buyer and tell him the situation and that he has to claim liability as the person will know it was him driving and not you. Is there some penalty for not changing the title? If you don't own the car, they obviously can't get you.

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

damn, aren't you the one who was "getting screwed" by the mechanic with your Acura? maybe you should think about riding a bike instead.

6. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

i bet the guy that bought your car is thinking..."sucker!"

7. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

[​IMG]

I love suckers! Buy my stuff boys and girls!

8. Ollie

Ollie Member

TXDOT FAQ page (Assuming you're in Texas.)

Question: I sold my vehicle several months ago, but the registration and title have not been changed to reflect the new owner's name and address. I'm getting notices about parking tickets involving that vehicle -- and the registration renewal notice has also come to me. What can I do?

Answer: It is likely that the new owner has not transferred the title to their name. Contact the county tax office or VTR Regional Office and fill out the Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification (Form VTR-346) *. Or write a letter to: Texas Department of Transportation, Vehicle Titles and Registration Division, Attention: Vehicle Data Management Branch, Austin, TX 78779-0001. The letter must provide the vehicle description (year, make, VIN), date of sale, and purchaser’s name and address. Upon receipt of the fee and the form or letter, we will place a notation on the motor vehicle record indicating that the vehicle has been transferred. The fee for this service is $5. Checks or money orders should be made payable to the Texas Department of Transportation.