1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Bush turned pro after assurance of No. 1 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thech0senone, Jan 15, 2006.

1. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

Updated: Jan. 15, 2006, 12:48 PM ET
    Bush turned pro after assurance of No. 1 pickESPN.com news services

Reggie Bush has long been assumed the top pick in the NFL draft, but after Vince Young's performance in the Rose Bowl, the Trojans wanted some assurance before the Heisman Trophy winner agreed to forgo his senior season.

USC sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that coach Pete Carroll gave his blessing for Bush to turn pro only after being assured by Texans owner Bob McNair that the running back would be the No. 1 pick in the draft.

Young, a Texas native, led his Longhorns to a victory over the favored Trojans in the national championship and ignited a public frenzy demanding Houston select the quarterback instead of Bush.

However, the Texans appear to be sticking with their initial plan of drafting the running back -- a preference of the top candidate to become their head coach.

A Broncos source told Mortensen that Gary Kubiak, Denver's offensive coordinator and the favorite for the Texans' head coaching post, believes current Houston quarterback David Carr can flourish with a new offense headlined by Bush and wide receiver Andre Johnson.

Kubiak, a Houston native, is widely considered the likely successor to Dom Capers, who was fired as Texans coach on Jan. 2, one day after finishing a 2-14 season with a loss at San Francisco.

However, under NFL tampering rules, the Texans cannot comment about or finalize any moves involving Kubiak until the Broncos' season is over. Denver advanced to the AFC Championship Game with a 27-13 win over the New England Patriots on Saturday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2293458

2. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

i just posted that in two of the other VY/Bush threads. how many of these things to we really need???

3. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

opps sorry didn't see it, lock it up.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*IF* this is true. . . . Isn't this ILLEGAL?
    Tampering etc?

Could the Texans get Penalized ala Minnesota with?
    If this is true. . I'm very disappointed. . not that it is bush
    but at the lack of integrity and ability to follow the rules

Rocket River

5. micah1j

micah1j Member

Yes, sounds very illegal. Also why would McNair not want Bush to come out - so why not tell Bush what he wants to hear.

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

How is this tampering? McNair talking to Pete Carroll is not tampering. Kubiak speculating that David Carr would perform well in an offense with Johnson and Bush is not tampering.

What is your tampering allegation aimed at?

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

"after being assured by Texans owner Bob McNair that the running back would be the No. 1 pick in the draft."

Teams aren't allowed to even discuss underclassmen, let alone tell them they'll be the #1 pick if they declare. I'm sure there are obvious ways to relay a message to someone, but I think that's what he's talking about.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The only context I've heard discussed with regard to tampering is NFL team to NFL team discussions, typically involving coaches that are being considered for another position.

gucci (and RocketRiver) -- Are you saying that Pete Carroll calling Bob McNair and discussing the draft is tampering? How do you arrive at that conclusion? Provide a link to the tampering rules if you don't mind.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think it's just NFL team to NFL team discussions that are illegal. I remember Casserly on 610 saying he wasn't even allowed to discuss Bush because he had not declared.

Like I said, I'm sure there are many ways one can "relay" a message to someone so there could be nothing wrong here. But assuring an underclassman that he will be drafted #1 if he comes out is kind of risky no matter how you get the message out.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

UNLIKELY

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

This sucks. Chances are Bush will be out of the league in 8 years, while Young should still be going strong.

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Come on. You got to give Casserly more credit than that.

wait...

13. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I think it is a load of crap. Reggie has been talking about coming out since last season. It was known that he was coming out. Even if Carroll and Bob had that conversation it had no bearing on Reggie coming out or not.

14. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Thats probably why it took Bush so long to actually declare. Its great news though.

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Bob McNair can come on tv in a few weeks and say "Im drafting Reggie Bush #1" and some of you still wouldn't believe because of the Vince Young fantasy. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN SO GET OVER IT!. Bush in 06 baby. Please Believe it.

16. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

This is bull****, the fact that VY went to UT has -no- effect on his NFL career. I'm sorry to say this but the -ONLY- reason people want to draft VY is because he's from Houston and went to UT. If he was from out of town this discussion would never have even started.

17. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Sad. But very true. Sux for VY fans, but it ain't happening.

18. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I'm sure some Oregon fans said the same thing about Joey Harrington.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Statements like this only show how shortsighted every VY hater is. Have McNair declare RB #1 in a few weeks and watch him ask for the biggest rookie contract in NFL history. Last I checked he hasn't signed Master P so his agents aren't gonna settle for regular RB money. He could ask for twice what Carr, Eli, & Smith got. What are we gonna do then? We have no leverage coz we made a declaration on him. They know we ain't gonna pick Young.

What's that? Trade the pick then you haters say? Who the hell is gonna give us market value after it's been made public that we want Bush and can't sign him?

...real smart people. :rolleyes:

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think it's all a publicity ploy by Carroll, and who's going to represent Bush. SC's program gets a real boost by having the #1 pick, ESPN always needs a story, whoever the agent in the background is, sure as hell wants Bush #1. From where I sit, it's all talk. Texas will pick who they want, and they haven't picked anyone yet. And the stories about Carr flourishing in a different offense boost his trade value, if that's in the cards.