1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ticked off Rant about playoff seeding and home-court in sports

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JBIIRockets, Jan 11, 2006.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I was looking at the NBA standings tonight and noticed that the Jazz are 19-17, the leader in their division, also the 3rd seed, while the Mavericks are 26-10, but in the 4th seed because the Spurs are just a little better.

If the playoffs started today, the 3rd seeded Jazz would get home-court over the 6th seeded Clippers even though the Clips have a better record. Plus the 4th seed Mavs and the 5th seed Grizzlies also have a better record. I'm sorry, but that is completely uncalled for and should be changed.

And the same freaking thing happens in the NFL as well, and it's a joke. The Jags finished their season 12-4 and had to travel to 10-6 New England. Why wasn't the game in Jacksonville?? Just because the Pats won their sorry ass East division, while the Jaguars didn't win theirs, so what!

My point is that, too much reward is placed on a division winner when in fact, the reward should go to the team with the better record whether they won their division or not. The only reward for winning a division should be a playoff spot, not an automatic playoff home-game because teams like the Jaquars, who had a damn good season at 12-4 had to play in the friggid cold, when the game should have been in J-Ville, get hosed.

I'm surprised this isn't more of a concern in sports, surprised that more people don't bring this up. I'd hate for the Texans to be in the Jags position this year.

#1 JBIIRockets, Jan 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. ameet14

ameet14 Member

I think part of it has to do with the division system. For example, there might be two teams that are equal in their talent, however one team plays in a tough whereas the other is in an easy division. Since teams play their division opponents the most, its puts teams that are in a better division at a disadvantage. Obviously, there are disadvantages as you pointed out, but i think the system in place works to make it more fair overall.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

No. The NBA changed this last years, so homecourt goes to the better record regardless of seeding.

The only thing that bugs me about the NBA playoffs is that they should reseed after the first round. Otherwise if the top two records in the conference are in the same division, they are destined to meet in the 2nd round instead of the conference championship. That could very well happen this year with the Spurs and the Mavs, who have the top two records in the West. Not to mention the Grizz who have the next best record, who'll end up probably going against the Mavs. So the top three teams in the west might have to bump each other off in the first two rounds.

4. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Basically if Dallas stays good for awhile ..... Dallas will always get the #4 seeds behind Spurs and we'll get the #5 seeds if we stay good unless we can top Dallas

With the Spurs being the Spurs I think is going to hard for us to get Home Court in the playoff for the first rd unless we can top Dallas because to us

#2 and #3 seeds is pointless

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Its definitly a drawback of the four division per conference setup that both NBA and NFL have moved to. On one hand I like the incentive for divisional competition for a better spot but I would also like to see the team with the better record to host the game.

I guess I could always be said that if you are good enough just win your divison and you don't have to worry. The wild card in NFL and MLB is in place so that good teams wont be left out if the best team is also in their division.

6. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I think this rule only applies after the first round, though I could be wrong.