1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think the Stros have a shot at acquiring Astacio?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by j-bone, Jul 31, 2001.

1. j-bone

j-bone Member

I think Astacio would be a great addition. I don't think his record reflects the type of pitcher that he can be. If I can remeber correctly, he pitched on hell of a game against us last year where he only gave up like 2 or three hits, and this was when everyone was saying that no pitcher can pitch in Enron and not give up any runs. Personally, I think Elarton should go because his talents have been exposed. By that I mean, he has lost some zip on his fast ball and the fact that he has that hitch in his delivery and doesn't hide the ball very well makes it easier for hitters to locate the ball coming out of his delivery. I like Ward alot and wish that we could keep him but he needs a chance to play and we can't offer him that right now.

------------------
    The intelligent prediction from Moses Malone: "Foe, Foe, Foe".

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astacio is the best available...I so wanted Reed. He would definitely help the astros reach postseason.

------------------
    A 50 win season?

3. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Deal before deadline still a possibility

By Mike Klis
    Denver Post Sports Writer

Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - Left-handed pitcher Sterling Hitchcock was traded to the New York Yankees.

Pedro Astacio was not.

Right-handed pitcher Jason Schmidt was traded to the San Francisco Giants, along with former Colorado Rockies outfielder John Vander Wal.

Astacio was not.

The Los Angeles Dodgers last week settled on James Baldwin, not Astacio. The Philadelphia Phillies decided to load up with relievers, not Astacio.

As of Monday night, Astacio was with the Rockies. Although Rockies officials said they had not received satisfactory offers, it's unlikely - but there remains a chance - Astacio will remain with the team past the trading deadline, which is today at 2 p.m. MDT.

"We'll have to see what happens (today)," said Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd, who was otherwise tight-lipped. "This will probably go down to the wire."

A three-team deal that would bring Cincinnati infielder Pokey Reese to the Rockies still was a possibility. Discussions with Toronto have involved outfielder Shannon Stewart and shortstop Alex Gonzalez, with the Blue Jays asking for Astacio, closer Jose Jimenez and pitching prospect Jason Jennings in return.

A source said that particular deal wasn't going to happen.

The Yankees, Dodgers and Giants were at one time interested in Astacio, but went in a different direction. Sources say another erstwhile pursuer, the St. Louis Cardinals, backed off Astacio because their team fell farther out of contention the past two weeks.

The Rockies received offers from several teams Monday, but they weren't getting the kind of trade value they were hoping for in return for the winningest pitcherin franchise history.

When word spread the Cards and Giants were out of the Astacio sweepstakes, Minnesota and Houston made offers Monday. Minnesota offered two minor-league prospects who were not rated highly on the list compiled by the Rockies. If the Twins sweeten their offer today, they could be players. After initially balking at the $3.2 million of guaranteed money remaining on Astacio's contract ($2.2 million salary plus a $1 million buyout on a $9 million buyout for next year), Houston has received financial approval to seek Astacio. The Astros decided against including backup outfielder Daryl Ward in its proposal, however. The Rockies once again asked that pitcher Scott Elarton of Lamar be included in the deal.

Detroit also expressed interest in Astacio.

Rockies owners Jerry McMorris, Charlie Monfort and Dick Monfort have been listening in on the Astacio talks, as they do with almost every big trade. O'Dowd had Astacio traded to Toronto at the deadline last year, along with Jimenez in exchange for pitcher Chris Carpenter, outfielder Vernon Wells and another pitching prospect. Ownership balked at the deal but gave its final-hour consent. Concerned enough by his bosses' objections, O'Dowd killed the deal.

With the Rockies in last place and $31.5 million of next year's $65 million payroll budget allocated to Mike Hampton, Denny Neagle, Larry Walker, Jeff Cirillo and Todd Helton - ownership and management apparently agree they cannot pick up Astacio's $9 million option for next year and have enough left to build a more balanced roster.

If they're not going to re-sign Astacio, the Rockies' best chance of obtaining talent in return is to trade him now. Trades are possible after the deadline, though more difficult because players must clear waivers. However, if the Rockies don't get much talent in return for Astacio, ownership and management have discussed the possibility of not trading him at all.

It is hard for me to believe that Drayton McLane acutally approved the addition of payroll if Astacio is acquired by the Astros. And it looks like the Astros finally came to their senses in not trading away Daryle Ward if they are not committed to re-signing Alou at any cost.

------------------

[This message has been edited by countingcrow (edited July 31, 2001).]

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Hunsicker was on some show last night, and from the sounds of it, I don't think they will resign Alou next year. To me that's a huge mistake, but if true, Ward may be in the outfield next year.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

5. countingcrow

Let these #'s speak for themselves:

Astacio against Houston on June 18 @ Enron:

5.2 innings pitched
    7 hits allowed
    7 earned runs allowed
    4 walks allowed
    4 strikeouts

And, not surprisingly, he gained a # in the loss column.

Are these numbers misleading? I don't thinks so!

------------------

[This message has been edited by countingcrow (edited July 31, 2001).]

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Welcome aboard Astacio.

------------------
    "The girls danced, started fondling me, I got aroused, they performed oral sex," Ewing said. "I hung around a little bit and talked to them, then I left."

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Yes. [​IMG]

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

8. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I'm going with probable...

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

9. Holden

Holden Member

theres no way in hell.

------------------
    Paranoid, trying to stuff the void.

10. Lewie221

Lewie221 Member

Welcome to Houston Pedro! I hope you can do better than Elarton did, I actually like the deal because the only Astros game I went to this year was when Elarton was pitching and he BLEW!!! God I just hope that the player named to be later is Daryle Ward. Also the addition of Mike Williams should help our bullpen. He's a pretty good relief pitcher and came away with over 20 saves so far in Pittsburgh, who have no defense.

------------------
    The Rockets Championship in 2001...Be-Steve-it

11. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Actually, look for Darren Oliver in an Astros uni...

------------------
    RKMAN

Proud believer of the 2001 World Champion Houston Astros.

12. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

I sure hope they don't get astacio, because colorado is asking WAY too much.

------------------
    Whatever happened to feminism being about taking off bras and burning them? That was so much cooler. It had two things that men love - jiggly breasts and fire.

13. countingcrow

RKMAN,

Where did you get this bit of info from? We wouldn't be giving up Ward would we?

------------------

14. countingcrow

Darren Oliver actually pitched pretty well in his only start at Enron Field this season. Here were his stats against the Astros on June 17:

6.2 innings pitched
    5 hits allowed
    2 earned runs allowed
    2 home runs allowed
    3 walks allowed
    5 strikeouts

And he got the win.

------------------