1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why All the Titan Hating?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by giddyup, Jan 8, 2006.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Preach on, Furious Jam, PREACH ON!

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes, and my team was the Oilers.

3. Fatty FatBastard

And they're dead.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

As is my loyalty to NFL football......UNLESS, Vince Young gets drafted...that would get my blood boiling again for the Texans.

Living in Austin, I follow the horns more than the NFL......and I can NOT EVER EVER EVER...root for the Cowboys.

David Carr is one of the reasons I can't get behind the Texans, he is just nothing special...certainly not a number one pick.

Look at it this way, if David Carr was available to be drafted after 4 years in the NFL...do you think he goes number one? Today?

I don't...heck he probably wouldn't be a first round pick.

DD

#64 DaDakota, Jan 10, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Believe it or not, I don't spend all of my days sticking pins in a Bud Adams voodoo doll. I could care less until someone starts a thread like this. I'm not going to say a word about Bud until someone on this board starts to support him or defend him. But after that point, the truth must be put out there.

Moving on is a great idea. But if you remained an Oiler/Titan fan after they left, you have, in fact, not moved on. You have, in fact, stuck with them for reasons that I cannot possibly grasp.

If your wife left you for somebody else, just because he had more money, would you still love her and continue to check up on her to see how she's doing? I wouldn't, but it sounds like you might. And if you did, people wouldn't say that you "moved on".

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

My loyalty to NFL Football died to when the Oilers left. I moved on to live in St. Louis and didn't even care about the NFL. Mild curiousity got me watching the Rams during Warner's rise to fame. I made a pledge to become a life long Rams fan if they prevented Bud's team from winning the Super Bowl. I intend to uphold that pledge since they followed through on their end of the bargain.

I still am a fan of the Astros and Rockets, the remaining teams that I cheered for since birth. The football team I cheered for since birth died in 1996. RIP Oilers.

7. msn

msn Member

Non sequitur. I did not have covenant with the Oilers.

And, ftr, no.

8. msn

msn Member

What a crock of crap. I watched the Texans every time I was at home during a game. I follow them online. If I could afford it and lived close enough the great city of H-Town, I'd be at games. I'm watching the draft closely. I followed some of the stats. I listen to those idiots on SR-610 and read the good posts as well as the mindless drivel posted here. I just endured a freaking 2 and freaking 14 season. But, I'm a "fair-weather fan".

Bullsh!t.

9. Fatty FatBastard

I'll give you that you're a football fan, but you're also a fair-weather fan. Until you pick your pony and stick with them, and them alone, you're not a true fan.

10. msn

msn Member

I've posted on this before, but all this "TRUE FAN!!!!" nonsense is just that--pure freaking unadulterated nonsense. It is amazing that people can get so self-righteous over something as trivial as perceived loyalty to a sports franchise.

You know how many teams I root for against the Texans? None. Zip. Perhaps the fact that I have a rooting interest when I watch the Rams play the Falcons makes me a guy who likes the Rams a little bit, not a "fair weather fan".

I've seen too many things in other nations from abject poverty to hunger to real racism (the kind where you attempt to extinct the other race, even when they're the same color) to decry someone's character with something like, "YOU'RE NO TRUE FAN!!!!!"

I'm sorry if I'm not obsessed enough for some of you. Go Texans.

Oh heck, let's just make it worse:

I don't give a rat's ass who wins between TU and TAMU, unless one is undefeated. In that case, I want the undefeated team to win. You know why? Because I am a TEXAS fan, and I want a national title to come to Texas. Needless to say, I was elated a few days ago when Vince and the boys in burnt orange mounted that comeback. And I'd have been just as elated were it my Coogs or those bumkins in Bryan (they hate when one calls it "Bryan").

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Fair-weather is a misnomer. It implys a winning season/s.

12. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Don't mind them dude. I am a TITANS fan first and route for the Texans 2nd. A "fair weather fan" is half the people on this board who are jumping off the Rockets already by starting "tanking" threads. Fair weather fans are all those so called chicago Bulls fans when they were winning 6 titles, or those Fakers fans who liked them when Kobe and Shaq were winning. How bout all these Detroit pistons fans that have all of a sudden popped up in Houston. How bout all those Asstros fans who called the astros the disastros the last 2 seasons and then all of a sudden were buying all the astros gear and claiming they were die hard fans all season. Following a team you loved while it was in your city and continuing to follow it after it has left because you like certain players on the team and grow to like the new acquisions is NOT being fair weather because you have been there from the start. I only like the Texans as my second team b/c they are in Houston but I still route for the Titans when they play the Texans. Don't worry about all the haters MSN, keep your head up!!!

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Fair weather = fans with a different perspective than yours.

A fan is a fan.....

Fair weather...LOL

SHEESH !

DD

14. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I was reasoning by analogy. It wasn't meant to be a perfect analogy, unless you slept with Mike Munchak.

15. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

All of my brothers grew up fans of Houston sports, that means UH sports, Astros, Rockets and Oilers. So naturally I grew up an Oilers fan. I was 15 years old when they took the Oilers away and I literally stopped watching NFL football (save for the Super Bowl) until the Texans came back into existence.

I remember when that big ugly black tarp was up during the Astros' 1992? season when they were deconstructing the greatest scoreboard of all time for some seats that never got filled.

I'm honest enough to admit that it was not all ferret-hair's fault, turkeyneck had quite a bit to do with it and in the end it became a public pissing match. I have articles saved from that time and Adams was willing to put up $75-80 million into the "Bud Dome". If I'm not mistaken it was going to be downtown just south of 59 across from the GRB. Les looked into the idea but realized that he was gonna get screwed in the deal and drayton took advantage saying the Dome was a "first-class facility" and was "proud to have my team play here" to a year later that the Dome was "not economically viable as a venue" and that the Dome needed "quite a few repairs".

I don't hate the Titans at all. In fact I was big fan of Eddie George when he was at Ohio State and I liked Steve McNair (until he started campaigning in Tennesee). But I rejoiced when the Titans came up 1 1/2 yards short on that last play in the Super Bowl. And although I felt bad for Bruce Matthews, I reveled in the fact that Bud didn't get to hold up the Lomabardi Trophy.

The Texans are my team and I'll stick with them no matter what, just like I have for the Astros, Rockets and Cougars. I don't root for any other professional teams that are up against my team. When the Rockets were out of the playoffs last year, I stopped watching, I don't root for the team that beat my team thats a bunch of garbage, those guys beat my team, well screw them I hope they lose.

16. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I too was a die-hard Oilers fan. I really wish when we got our expansion team we could have brought back the Oilers name and uniforms. Cleveland got to do it with the Browns, why couldn't we? It's just not fair.

I hate Bud Adams with a passion.

17. Fatty FatBastard

^^^^

Good point. To all the Titan lovers, how many Raven fans do you think live in Cleveland?

18. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

I did not read the whole thread, but bud adams is a piece of shyt I would not even step in.

I have no hate for the Titans, just bud adams

Edit, a previous post is on, bud adams holds the trademark to the name Oilers. Another reason to hate him.

#78 Cire, Jan 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  19. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Actually, the Titans still have the last Oilers Coach from Houston (Jeff Fisher), the Oilers 2nd best OL ever Mike Munchack is the Offensive Line Coach for the Titans, and Al Smith, one of the best Oiler LB's ever is a strength and conditioning Coach for the Titans. The GM is also a holdover from the Oilers days.

20. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Texans are my favorite NFL team and the only one I follow real close. The Titans are my #2 favorite team though, and I pull for them when they make the playoffs. I never have been a Cowboy fan so when the Oilers moved to Tenn., I started following them and continue to like them even today.