1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hoopsville: Yao Ming hardly living up to expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by polypheus, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

I understand standing up for Yao and all, but those who say after they've witnessed the last couple of years that they would still take Yao as #1 over Amare are just being stubborn. Yao tough? I wouldn't call him a wuss, but when a 6' gaurd can move you out of position, well....Lotsa Love for Yao, but I could see him losing us a Championship as much as winning us one. IMHO it's partially the coaching: Yao doesn't seem like he's had a mentor since day 1: I don't know what Ewing does beside hold that clipboard, but I have never seen him demonstrate a move to Yao or "coach" him at all. If the coaches/GM could bring in an enforcer (to take some of the defensive pressure off Yao) that might help, but there doesn't seem to be a will to do that. I saw last week Moses Malone is working with the 76ers: I'm sure the man that helped develop Hakeem would have been more then happy to work with Yao for the Rockets, but no.... lets add a Knick or two more and see what happens.... Bottom Line: For me, Amare is three times as much fun to watch as Yao: the ugliness, the raw athleticism, the AMERICAN basketball stylings (okay, that may be a stretch, but): HE'S GOT THE FUNK. We have a nice guy who is tall....

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

A jilted Laker fan? Well I will be...

Seriously, nothing better than seeing a Laker fan cry over the girl that wouldn't even flirt with him.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! :D :cool:

3. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I would love to have a Max Player that is never healthy. What a great idea! :D

4. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Someone tell Stephen A. Smith that this is the NBA not Fantasy Basketball. Amare is the focal point of the offense. Nash to Amare is the new version of Stockton to Malone. Amare is really a power forward on a run and gun team.

5. atewari

atewari Member

If I remember clearly, Moses Malone had stated to a reporter or publication that he would love to mentor Yao and that he was only waiting on a phone call from the Rockets. The call never came and we ended up with Pukeing...I mean Patrick Ewing.

6. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

He does look like a doofus

7. underoverup

underoverup Member

Why even post this nonsense? Can we assume that polypheus is the author of the article?

8. atewari

atewari Member

I just moved to Denver recently and trust me...if it was up to the fans here, they would trade Kenyon to the Rockets for Brent Price, Matt Maloney and a Clutch Doll.

They realize that without Kidd, he is just a guy who can jump really high and scream really loud ( see:*Amare Stoudamire without Steve Nash*). What are our guards gonna be able to get out of Martin that Andre Miller can't (BTW, I would much rather have Andre Miller on the Rockets than Kenyon).

He has spent so much time on the injured list and his MAX contract is gonna hurt the team for years to come. That is why they are so desperate to get Ron Artest here now.

Even though they have Carmelo, they feel that it is now or never for them because Martin's contract and Melo's eventual MAX extension will keep them from ever adding a third key player down the line.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Did you happen to see Amare in any of the games he played while Nash was out? He was horrible. Everyone on that Suns team benefits from having one of the NBA's premier playmakers on their team. It is like Shandon Anderson with the Jazz. He looked great playing with Stockton. Once the Rockets got him he was given the nickname Shandn Andersn, because he didn't have any 'O'. Same thing happened with Russell. Yao was an all star center before TMac came here, and will be an all-star no matter what because he is a good player. The Spurs decided to let Amare run wild and just shut down everyone else, and it worked. Unfortunately it created the perception that Amare is an all world player, which he is not.

10. Ownage

Ownage Member

So evey time Nash goes to the bench, Amare all of a sudden becomes a scub then? Amare still averaged 20 points+ without Nash. Dont be blind YOF's.

11. atewari

atewari Member

Amare doesn't become a scrub but it doesn't matter if he averages 85 points if his team loses.

It's amazing...when you judge Amare, you judge him by his numbers not by wins and losses. When you judge Yao, it's about his wins and losses not his numbers.

I know Phoenix had the best record last year but my point is that when Nash is out, Phoenix is not as successful and Amare still gets his but in a loss. Phoenix, last year, had about 7 guys that could be starters on any NBA team. The Rockets have two players...after that, everyone else is an average or below average role player.

Yao and Amare are two different types of centers. They can both dominate a game in different ways. Yao's true measure as an NBA player can only be taken when he is on a complete team that has depth and talent to exploit his talents.

Up to this point in his career, he has never been on a team that capitalizes on his strength. If we get our entire team healthy and Swift lives up to the expectations placed on him, Yao will prove to be the complementary piece to Tracy McGrady that will lead the Rockets to the championship.

As for the guy that put up the stats that showed that Amare averaged 37 points against the Spurs, wouldn't it have been nicer if he averaged a little less and they won the series or maybe it's just about the numbers.

And if you want to talk about numbers, look at Iverson, McGrady and Kobe without Shaq. They have all averaged around 30 points per but had never been serious contenders (minus Iverson's one trip to the finals). But maybe we can just say that they didn't have the right role players around them. Heaven forbid we should use the same logic for Yao.

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Why do people go out of their way to hunt down anything bad that is said about Yao and post it on here like it is legit media? And then why do people go apesh*t over the opinion of one person?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.