1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SPLASH] Raul Chavez signs 1 year $400,000 deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Drewdog, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Whew! ;)

Link

Dec. 21, 2005, 12:15AM
    Chavez signs one-year deal

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Astros general manager Tim Purpura signed backup catcher Raul Chavez to a one-year contract Tuesday. He also tendered contracts to his four remaining arbitration-eligible players: All-Stars Brad Lidge and Morgan Ensberg and shortstop Adam Everett and reliever Dan Wheeler.

The Astros had until Tuesday to tender arbitration-eligible players contracts or lose them to free agency. Chavez avoided arbitration by accepting a one-year, $400,000 contract with incentive clauses based on playing time.

"Having Raul and having (Humberto) Quintero gives us probably two of the best backup catchers in the game, in my opinion," Purpura said. "They're both outstanding defensive catchers and have great arms."

If deals aren't reached with the arbitration-eligible players, the sides will exchange salary figures next month and go into a three-arbitrator hearing in February. The parties can negotiate until they enter a hearing. Purpura approached Ensberg's agent this week and hopes to speak with the agents for the other three players soon.

Chavez, 32, was designated for assignment twice in 2005, but he remained with the organization and had his contract purchased from Class AAA Round Rock on Aug. 31.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

$400,000??

He could have got dump truck and a backhoe for that kind of money...

3. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

2 of the best backup catchers in the game? I can't name any other backup catchers, but I think I'm going with the odds in saying that the word "best" and those guys names dont belong in the same sentence.....

Pugs

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This is all PR for the backlash that yesterday's PR stunt produced.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Mirabelli with the Sox, one of the best backup catchers in the game
    McCann last season, solid backup catcher with even more potential

Chavez - Good Arm, crappy everything else
    Quintero - more or less the same.

To say that we have two of the best backup catchers in the game, well lets just say the guy lost a little more credibility. I had high hopes for Tim after seeing what he did with our minor league system, but he has done or said nothing to impress me or express much confidence in his GM abilities.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Chavez was terrible last season. He had done some good things in prior seasons but, after that terrible effort last season, I can't recall what any of the good things he had done are.

:confused:

7. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I'll take 2 bulldozers for 1 Raul Chavez.....

Seriously.... I dont see how Purpura can spin that Chavez and Quintero are 2 of the best back-up catchers in the league. Is he serious?

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

GMs and owners say that about everyone they sign. If people start getting upset about the backup catcher situation, they've officially lost their minds.

9. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In other news, Purpura has traded our batboy and grounds keeper to Texas for their equipment manager and a person to be named later.......

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'd rather have Hugo Chavez or Cesar Chavez.

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Thank you. It's merely GM-speak, nothing more.

12. right1

right1 Member

Maybe we could sign Ashby now that he's in need of a job. He was always good for about a .240 avg. On the other hand, didn't Quintero hit one about 450 ft. against the Braves? Man, that was a shot.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Whoo hooo! What a great offseason this is. It's so exciting to see the Astros in the MLB FA lists!

14. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member