1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas vs. Duke (College Basketball)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by junglerules, Dec 8, 2005.

1. kountzer

kountzer Member

Yep, Texas just got dominated. I've watched some of UTs earlier games against no name opponents, like UT Arlington. They were having trouble putting these teams away. Sure they beat them by double digits at the end. If you're # 2 in the country, you should be able to build a double digit lead against a regional no name team, in the first quarter, surely by half time. I agree, Texas is not in Duke's class.

~ Kountzer ~

2. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

that ^ was directed at big tex

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Thanks bigtexxx, another insightful comment. Duke played an unbelivable game today and it just shows the difference between #1 and #2, but saying we are more of a 10-20 team just shows how much of a moron you are.

Losing to the best team in the nation w/ them bascially having homecourt, having a veteran class that has the experience, 2 unbelievable All-americans, doesn't throw us that far back. Duke has a very good team and is my pick to win it all this year. But you obviously dont' watch enough college basketball to make any type of insightful posts, here's to watching 1 game and trying to define an entire team.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I never followed this "we'll get better as the season goes along" mentality. EVERY team will get better as the season goes along. I'd venture to say that Duke will improve more than UT will over the course of the season becasue they have a better coach, too.

Final Four teams don't get beat by 31 points on a neutral court. UT is not a final four team. Sorry.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I never said Reddick was going to be a star. However he is a guy you can't leave alone which is more than I can say for any of our role players. We need a guy like that feeding the post.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

UT clearly showed that they are not the #2 team in the country. They lost by 31 points on a neutral court. That's not a final four team.

7. gucci888

So you don't think the Rockets will get better as the season goes along just because other teams will too? I didn't know the season is over after 9 games and getting beaten badly by the #1 team in the country, but that's just me.

I wouldn't say today was a neutral court at all, I would be that 85% of the people there were Duke fans. I'm not blaming that for the loss, but it was far from being neutral.

8. coma

coma Contributing Member

We'll see exactly how these guys bounce back from being emasculated on national television. As Duke showed today, it takes a lot more than athleticism to shine on the big stage.

I disagree that Texas is a 10-20 team, though. If they get schooled again by a top ten, I might have to change my stance.

9. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Man I thought the game would be lot closer.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they are not now. but wait til march.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. Major

Major Member

You should do some research before you post. When you don't, you post stuff like this.

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Hopefully the same thing will happen to them in the Rose Bowl. I was actually wanting Texas to win because I cannot stand Duke. Duke could have 5 grandmas starting and they would still be ranked #1. Ugh!

14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If 5 grandmas play that good...at least give one of them a tryout with the Rockets... :D

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ahem.

Signed,
    Marquette

16. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

UT lost not because of talent differential but because of experience and coaching. However, it was the lack of coaching , but I bet Coach Barnes will learn a lot. He did not use gibson and aldridge right.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I believe Duke has like 3 freshmen in their rotation. Also, Gibson is overrated. This guy was talking about going pro last year and he can't even beat a soft halfcourt press. Duke isn't even that athletic. It wasn't just this game either; UT's guards have been throwing the ball away right and left against any kind of pressure this year. Ridiculous that a slow team like that can totally dominate the athletes Texas has defensively and make them backpedal ALL game.

And wth was Tucker doing talking trash in the second half while his team was getting destroyed? And to the guy that was kicking his ass, no less. :confused:

18. gucci888

Duke's Big 3:
    Reddick- Sr.
    S. Williams- Sr.
    Dockery- Sr.

Texas' Big 3:
    Gibson- Sophomore
    Aldridge- Sophomore (only played 16 games last season)
    Tucker- Junior (only played 17 games last season)

I'm not trying to make excuses but we are still a very inexperienced team versus probably the most experienced team in the nation. I agree that we were throwing the ball all over the place and that really shows that we are still a very young team.

As for Gibson, don't just watch one game and say he is overrated, he's still a very young player that has a ton of talent.

19. kountzer

kountzer Member

Gibson is not ready for the prime time, college or pros.

Duke had a better front court.

They had a much better backcourt.

JJ Redick has the best jumpshot I have ever seen, and that includes Larry Bird.

~ Kountzer ~

20. RocketsFAN3035

I'd have to disagree with you. I really think that Duke is a two man team. Look at the Boxscore. Only two devils in double figures: Reddick and Williams. Dockery can't take over a game like either one of those two can. Now it is true that both are seniors and now how to play to the hype.

I still think Texas is still a top 5 team. They just got beat by the top team today, and that team showed why they are #1 (and just for the record, Duke isn't ALWAYS #1.....when Grandmas start suiting up for us, we may drop out of the top 10 :p ).

Early Final Four Predition:
    Duke
    Texas
    Nova
    Mich St