1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JUST FOR FUN: Post trades here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Dec 6, 2005.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Ok ok, I know there are plenty of people who hate to talk trade right now because they think we should stick with our current players and see where the chips fall. Well, this thread is for the people who love to play GM. Maybe having a thread like this will keep a bunch of other trade threads popping up all over the board.

Anyway, please post your trades/signings but please check to see if they work and please give reasoning as to why BOTH teams would do the trade. No "Kevin Garnett for David Wesley and Stromile Swift!!!" trades, please.

You can use RealGM.com's trade checker to see if salaries work out. It can be found here -----> http://www2.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/1/

I'll start it off.

--------------------------------------------------

David Wesley (Houston)

for

Earl Watson (Denver)

WHY?

For Houston: They get a young, quick, unselfish pass-first point guard with the defensive ability to keep opposing PG's out of the lane. We all know this is a glaring problem right now. Defensive deficiencies start ON THE BALL, and Earl can help there.

For Denver: Earl Watson was their "big" free agent signing over the summer, which seems to have been a mistake now that he's stuck behind both Andre Miller and Earl Boykins. They'd love to dump his salary and pick up David Wesley's expiring contract.
    --------------------------------------------------

Rafer Alston (Houston)
    Stromile Swift (Houston)

for

Al Harrington (Atlanta)

WHY?

For Houston: The Rockets need a 3rd scorer, the Rockets need versatility and athleticism at the PF, and the Rockets need YOUTH. The fact that Harrington brings all these things, AND can easily play backup 3, it's hard to argue that he wouldn't vastly improve this team's starting lineup. Al isn't just potential, he's proven.

For Atlanta: The Hawks need a point guard like Pao Gasol needs a good shave. Alston could thrive with an up-tempo style team, feeding the ball to players like Josh Childress, Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Salim Stoudamire and Stromile Swift. Even more importantly, in my opinion, picking up Alston allows Joe Johnson to move over to the SG position where he can thrive. With Swift, regardless of what some might say, his signing has proven to be a complete mistake. However, a team with a more up-tempo style and "nothing to lose" approach might see him thriving in their system. As hyped as some of us were about him before the season began, he is just a throw-in to this trade.
    ------------------------------------------------

If it's still possible, sign Sprewell.

------------------------------------------------

Projected lineup:

Watson / Head / Moochie
    Sprewell / Anderson / Head / Barry
    McGrady / Anderson / Harrington / Bowen
    Harrington / Howard / Baxter
    Yao / Dikembe

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ok, how about this?

Sacramento is losing and isn't looking very good. Perhaps a rebuild is in their near future. With that in mind, let's package up Wesley, Norris, our #1 pick, plus Head in exchange for...............Mike Bibby. If they took this deal and tanked the season, they would have about $10 million+ under the salary cap, uncluding Wells expiring deal, to go after some FAs with. They'd have their high #1 draft pick, and they'd have our #1 pick also.

That would leave us with Bibby, Anderson, TMac, Yao, Juwan as our starters with Alston, Barry, Rybo, Deke, Swift, on the bench. We'd have to give up Head to get that deal done, but.......it's Mike Bibby.

Then we could decide what to do about our PF and SG spot, and we wouldn't have to worry about offense so much from the SG spot but could concentrate on getting the defensive stopper that Van Gundy wants.

3. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

trade ole man grumpy for whateva we can get.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Head goes nowhere, he is the one bright spot in this otherwise dismal season. Head will be a star when Bibby is retired.

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Wesley, Swift, and a 1st rounder for Speedy Claxton and Chris Anderson.

6. toby

toby Member

this years team for last years team . . .

nuf said

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

WEsley, Swift, and 2 second rounders for Speedy and Birdman.

8. Furious Jam

Geez, I thought we were already robbing them with the first scenario.

9. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Juwan, Alston and Yao. for Emeka Okafor, Gerald Wallace and Brevin Knight.

Why?! hell why not?!

Yao is weak, we need someone strong in the paint. Juwan is old and Alston doesnt fit our team. B.Knight is a true point guard, Gerald Wallace is a lesser version of Tmac although hes gettin up there and becoming more dominant and of course Okafor. The next Elton Brand. I dont see why not.

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Puff Puff pass Smokey!!!!!

You hogging the joint....

Puff puff pass

11. Furious Jam

First of all, neither Yao nor McGrady will be traded. There are scenarios, several years down the road, where they could possibly be dealt. But for right now, the Rockets have banked their future on these two guys, both in terms of basketball and business. And I'm sure the Chinese government would have something to say about Yao being shipped to Carolina. If you can't see that, you really don't have a credible opinion to offer on this board.

Second of all, your trade sucks. There's a reason why the Bobcats are an expansion team. Why you would want to trade for half of an expansion team is beyond me.

12. Furious Jam

Oh yeah. And you most likely smoke dope, as T_Man has alluded to.

13. kbourda

kbourda Member

This might eventually happen in this off season but:

Jeff Van Gundy for Phil Jackson

Why?

As much as I don't like Phillip, you can't angue with his methods of getting the most out of his players. Can anyone honestly say Yao is playing to his full potential right now? Or anyone on this Rocket team for that matter?

14. sbyang

sbyang Member

Yao Ming + Juwan Howard for Steve Francis + Dwight Howard

Just curious who do u think this will favor from a pure basketball standpoint.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very intriguing. I would have Harrington behind Tracy, however, not DA. Wish we could pull this off! Of course, we may end up feeling bad about losing Swift. The former Rocket he's been compared to the most, Eddie Griffin, had 14 points, 11 rebounds and 8 blocked shots last night for the T-Wolves in about 27 minutes, with only one turnover. Ouch!!

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Griffin has that sense of timing that Deke does as far as blocking shots goes. That is a unique talent that very players have. Most players mistime their jump or are faked out by the shooter. We can only dream about what a sane EG would have matured to on this team.

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

First, I normally hate trade threads.

Secondly, I fail to see the fascination with tweener PF/SF Al Harrington. Tremendous D? No. Great back to the basket game? Marginal. Shot blocking? Puh-leez! Fleet-footed participant in transition O? From the Rox vs Hawks, he looks slower than Swift. Rebounding? Same Rebs/48 as Stro and Mo Taylor.

Sadly, if he was the Rox focus, they'd very likely over pay...as in attaching a 1st rounder. Given McGrady's back problems, I'd rather be selecting in the teens instead of giving it up.

Unlike a lot of others, I don't see the Maloofs (SAC) as that desperate or why NO/OKC wants to acquire/trade for Swift when they passed on him in free agency. Unless we throw in the pick...and I say keep it.

Most posters go for some concoction of Pipe Dream and homer. I'm going to slide under the radar. The person I'd focus on is Melvin Ely. Not sure what it would take. He's in the Bobcats' rotation, but not a starter. But it's a lot more realistic than what I've seen suggested. Ely lacks the glitz and glamour but so did Bruce Bowen and Bobby Simmons a few years ago.

EDIT: And BTW, Harrington is UNrestricted next summer coming off a $6.8M contract.

#17 GATER, Dec 6, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  18. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I don't think my Philly will be leaving LA anytime soon.

Sincerely,

Jeanie Buss and Dr. Buss's Head Lettuce

19. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What methods? I didn't know that he got the most out of Odom. Or you mean without Phil, MJ and Shaq wouldn't be dominent?

20. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Not sure who would benefit. But TMac would be like WTF? Howard and bunch of others asked me to stay in Orlando, and now this? Yao? You just pulled a trick on me a year ago? Lurked me here, but secretly wanted my Magic team?