1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RealGM weekly musings on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ergo, Dec 3, 2005.

1. ergo

ergo Member

Haven't seen this posted ;p
    The writer basically bashes Yao (who hasn't?) and even has the audacity to trash the Mcgrady trade.
    I don't get why everyone is always saying that Yao is soft. This year he has been aggressive and constantly looks to attack the basket. In fact it could be argued that part of the reason for his foul troubles is because of his "aggressiveness".
    He says Yao is just a jumpshooter but I actually wish Yao would shoot more jumpshots from farther away. He is usually money when left open and rarely will opposing teams leave the paint open for penetration to guard Yao on the perimeter.

http://www.realgm.com/src_twoplusthefoul/79/20051201/yao_vlad_and_smush_in_weekly_musings/

• Houston, you have a problem. Yao is soft. No one needs a 7’5 jump shooter (see Vladimir Radmanovic, above). He’s only averaging 19 PPG and with McGrady missing games early, he should be racking up points. Why isn’t he? One reason is he can’t stay on the floor (4 fouls/game.) In 33 mpg, Ming is grabbing a paltry 9 rebounds a game, fewer than Zaza Pachulia or 6’7 wingman Richard Jefferson. His 1.6 blocks don’t make up for it either, he should be blocking shots standing still. All of this begs the question: why trade a PG that shoots too much and doesn’t play D for a wing man that shoots even more and can’t grasp Van Gundy’s defensive schemes? Then you pay him more and up the ante by trading for Rafer “Skip to my Lou” Alston and signing Stromile “Skip every other possession on D” Swift?

2. RareAir

RareAir Member

Yao's a jump shooter???? I dont' think I've seen Yao take a jump shot in an NBA game since Rudy was the coach......

He's ONLY averaging 19 a game???? I think teams would kill to have a center that could average 19 a game.....

This dude needs to watch more Rockets games..............

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is just some guys opinion. he obviously doesn't watch the rockets much, he is asked to write a weekley report on the entire NBA. it's nothing but useless, like the national inquirer compared to the NY TIMES (ESPN).

4. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Really tall guys have never been great rebounders in the nba, why would yao be one.

Yao's blocking is dissapointing though. Being that tall, you HAVE to be able to block shots. His 1.7 are pathetic. He should be blocking a 3 a game.

This guy is just another Yao hater, simple as that.

5. daRox

daRox Member

I stopped there

6. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

who is he talking about there?

7. tacoman82

tacoman82 Member

I thought he was referring to the Fracis - TMac trade...

8. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Francis was out in the last two games. Coincidentally, D. Howard just had his worst stretch and Magic were raped. I guess Howard must be a jumpshooter and soft. :rolleyes:

9. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

I definitely agree. Tall guys like Yao have at best been above-average rebounders....average for big men. I also agree that he should be blocking more shots.

I really wouldn't say it's entirely a lack of ability though. The last two months of last season, I believe he was averaging well over 2.5 blocks a game. I think he's just regressed a bit and has gone back to trying to just keep his hands up and draw charges.

I think his decrease in blocks can be attributed to his "Catch-22" in officiating. This season he's been getting called for offensive fouls a lot, thereby making less likely to go outright for blocks and less aggressive on defense. In turn, that makes the officials less likely to give him the benefit of the doubt on calls.

Also, since McGrady's been out so long, Yao's been devoting most of his energy to breaking through double teams on offense. Running down to the other end right afterwards and gathering up energy to swat some balls is a bit more than his limited stamina can handle.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Stopped reading here. He obviously doesn't watch any Rox games.

1st off, he's 7'6". Second, he's taken probably 5 jumps shots all season which is 3 more than last season. It's like he is repeating Jim Rome's criticism of Yao when he was a rookie.

11. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

if he is then is just plain stupid

12. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

That's what's funny. What great perimeter player in the history of the NBA didn't shoot 20 per?

When Kobe was winning championships he was the next Michael Jordan. Now that he's losing, he's a ball hog and shoots too much. These media types are ridiculous.I don't remember anybody saying Jordan shot too much.

When we start winning everybody will start kissing T-Mac's and yao's feet.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Since when is 19 and 9 in 33 minutes bad? That is just stupid.

14. Ownage

Ownage Member