1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wow

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ZRB, Jul 9, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I hope that some of you had the pleasure of watching the greatest Tennis Match ever played. Even though I was rooting for Rafter, I couldn't be happier for Goran Ivanisevic. Incredible...

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I saw it, great match

I too was rooting for Pat Rafter.

------------------
    The title will come to ClutchCity once again.

3. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

Amazing. Never thought he had a chance. I really thought it was Rafter's year.

Against Henman, he looked like he never volleyed a ball in his life.

My Wimbeldon ended when Sampras went out and then Martin.

I had a chance to go last year. Saw the Agassi v Martin match (before being suspended for darkeness). Great experience! It is much different live.

Strawberries and cream. yum. I ate about 12 of them in an hour.

------------------
    I let the dogs out.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I bet it was awesome-- I watched all I could before I had to leave for work... Goran was up in the 3rd set when I left. I couldn't be happier for him... he was the guy I wanted to win from the start. True, he has some flaws in his games, but he works so hard, and had gotten so close 3 times before falling short. The last two weeks I thought about what an amazing story it would be if at 29 years old Goran came back and won it as a wild card. Sure enough, he does it. Great job Goran!

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

will they replay this? I've always been a huge fan of Goran's... those serves were amazing back in the day... and still are w/ his injury.

Congratulations Goran!

------------------
    Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Achebe,

It's on NBC at 10 in all time zones, so they're an hour into it right now...

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Man, I was rooting for Rafter also.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

8. T-POOH

T-POOH Member

Goran finally won his Wimbledon crown because he was hungry, and finally playing for himself. What luck too....he was granted a wild card into the event, as he was not ranked high enough to make the main draw.

When he started, he played for his sister, who had cancer - just to get money for her to see good doctors.

Anyway, I have followed tennis for 15 years, and played most of my younger life. Goran has been a three time finalist, and he deserved it!

------------------
    RIP HOOP-T

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Hmm....I didn't know about those circumstances. I'm glad he won then. Goran seems to have matured over the years.

As for Rafter, he's just a nice, humble guy. I always root for people like that.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

HURRAY FOR VENUS WILLIAMS
    Two Time Back to Back Champ

Rocket River

------------------

11. haven

haven Member

RR: I take it you don't buy the conspiracy theories, then [​IMG]?

I'll never route for either of the Williams sisters again... those matches just looked too contrived.

I hope there is a heaven. Then, someday, I'm going to find out if Pete Rose bet against the Reds, whether the Williams sister's really rigged matches, if the NBA lottery is staged, and get to watch John Stockton apologize to Charles Barkley for that illegal shot he took at the end of Game 6 [​IMG].

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

12. davo

davo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

That was very dissappointing. I followed the match at wimbledon.org and then the final set in the lunch room. Unbelievable game though - in fact, this was as good a wimbledon final round as I can remember - both semis and the final all went to 5 sets.

Rafter/Agassi was the best game of the tournament. It is such a pleasure to see classy and gracious people play such great tennis. Goran, who has had his rash moments in his early years, was the epitomy of class in the final(at least, the parts I saw).

Rafter losing does somewhat dampen the joy of Australia crushing England in the first Ashes test.

------------------
    God help me, ...I was only nineteen.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

[This message has been edited by davo (edited July 09, 2001).]

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

thanks the cat!

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can always count on ZRB exaggerating to the fullest.

ummmmm...did this match have an 18-16 tie-breaker in the 4th set with like 6 match points and 6 set points saved by each player in the SAME GAME!!!

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

16. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Yeah, but this went to five, and 9-7 is the longest a fifth set has ever stretched in a Wimbledon Final. Screw the tiebreak, this was pure brilliance.

Hey, did that match have an insane crowd cheering the hell out of everything throughout the match?

Did you watch that match at four in the morning?

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited July 09, 2001).]