1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One of Yao's Issues

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Yep.

Yao often looks like he's being sucked into a hole as soon as the ball is tossed into him. This puts him off balance and lets the defender get around him just enough to deflect the ball. Very frustrating.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not to throw this thread off, but watching Yao sometimes makes me appreciate Hakeem even more. Yao plain and simple has a hell of a time trying to keep the defender pinned behind him while extending his arm up for the ball. He does one or the other, but ask him to do both at the same time and he's off-balance or the defender pulls the chair out from under him. I think his height definitely comes to play when he does(n't do) this.

3. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Yao has TONs of issues!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. alaskansnowman

I don't see why this is such a big problem. Can't someone simply tell Yao "JUMP FORWARD WHEN THE BALL IS COMING TO YOU!"

I get so tired of watching them struggle to get the ball into Yao. And it's a self perpetuating cycle too - the guards throw it in, yao can't handle it, and then they start hesitating to throw it in, which then results in even poorer passes b/c passes need to be made quickly without hesitation.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's hard when a 7'5" 310 lbs. frame is going backward to all of a sudden leap forward. Shaq does it, but Yao's not used to doing it. That and if you try to harrass Shaq, he'll pound you down with elbows all game long.

6. chrisrobin

chrisrobin Member

The entry pass also could be the issue. How about the guards try to throw the ball higher? I mean if Yao had to extend his arms upward and not so much outward, could that possibly help? I sometimes wonder why you would force a bounce pass to a guy 7'6". JVG has said it often that he can't comprehend why it's so hard to pass to a guy that big especially in the fourth quarter. Well as Randy Moss said " Just chuck it up there ".
    When Yao's being fronted, like he is so often, I wish T-Mac were playing. Remember last year when T-Mac would see the fronting coverage and drive to the basket, and instead of shooting he would lob the ball to a cutting Yao, easy bucket. Two points.
    Much is being said about the high screens Yao is setting for the guards, but lately I haven't been seeing any pick and rolls being run, most of the time the offense is just chaos. Guards should use the pick and look for the roll by Yao as an initial option before trying to break down the defense with penetration.
    I really think Yao's game is being affected by the poor guard play recently.He could be playing better absolutely but he is not the only problem out there on the court.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Good point. When Yao is being fronted, our guards should be attacking the basket. It's easy pickings, clogs up the defense, and our shooters get open along with Yao being in prime position for the putback. They oughta be attacking the rim everytime they see the fronting.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The problem with entry passes is one that is complicated by a lot of things:

The position of Yao's defender.
    The position of the passer's defender.
    The height differential between the passer and his defender.
    The angle of the pass.
    The type of team defense played by the opponent.

Getting the ball into the post has never been easy. Guards will come get a ball or run their defenders off of screens. In the post, the passer just has to wait for the post player to get position and then hit him not only with a pass that is on target but also away from the defender AND in a position that makes the post man comfortable.

Maybe most importantly, you need someone on the wing who is big enough to see over his defender but good enough a passer to get the ball to the post man. It also doesn't hurt if the guy is either a very good outside shooter so his man won't sag down. That's a tough combination to find and it is getting tougher as the number of big men in the league who require that kind of post position diminish.

Most guys in the post can come meet the ball and face the basket if necessary. Yao might be the only really elite big man in the NBA that does not have this skill (and, by elite, I mean versus Shaq, KG, Duncan, Stoudamire, etc, not Ilgauskis or other second-tier big men).

The combination of factors involved make it almost impossible to get a decent post entry pass every time. In fact, if you add to it the fact that Yao doesn't catch those passes very well and is not particularly good as sealing off his man, you probably decrease the possibility of an accurate entry pass to about 50 percent - not great odds when you want him to be your first option.

9. Panda

Panda Member

Jeff should replace Mr.Ewing as the new big man coach, seriously, what's that chump sitting on the bench for?

10. University Blue

Well, Houston would need to find guards/forwards who can dribble penetrate and score. Worthy and Elliott used to do that very well.

11. wolfsheep

wolfsheep Contributing Member

Yeah. Ewing is not helpful at all. Those skills should be easy to learn, in my understanding. But it seems they didn't teach him to play aggressively and efficiently.
    I can see Yao is switching his style. But he didn't get it completely now. So find a new center coach for him.

12. alaskansnowman

I realize it's hard for Yao to jump forward b/c of his height issues, but this is a problem that must be rectified. It's been years that he's in the NBA and we still have major issues about him getting the ball down low. This is very unsettling. Will we ever have a time when getting the ball to Yao doesn't involve rocket science?

13. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

i was going to make a thread, but i was too scared to. Havent read all the posts here. and probably some have mentioned it:

Yao lets his defender front him. He doesn't try whatsoever to keep his man behind him. Is he scared to get called for the foul? THese past few games that I've seen he's just let them get whereever they wanted. SEAL THEM OFF. If you want the ball in the post, you have to work for position.
    And this is as much of JVG and more importantly Ewing's fault as it is Yao himself's fault. If they're tackling you, just do what KG did in one of the games I saw on tv and point to the where they're holding you to let the refs know what's happening.

It's been more than a game, neither JVG nor Ewing have showed or told yao that he can't just let them waltz right in front of him so easily.

...you say "they're too quick for yao" i say bull****. When they're behind you, keep a body on them and spread your arms out. If they push your arms away or move you out the way, that FOUL. If they do get in front of him, he HAS TO seal them off. WE've seen him do it before for easy dunks. He has to keep doing it for them to think twice about fronting.

It's Ewing and JVG's job to coach him and show him how to adjust.

Oh and, YAO learn to ****ing rebound! Deke, show him how a tall, slow center with a high center of gravity how to rebound!

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Going toward the ball is a basic tenet of all sports - soccer, football, b-ball, etc. ~ if Yao can't get this down he's going to have a tough time reaching the next level.

15. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

That is the problem. How do you get there first?

The defender can also extend both arms to seal Yao behind. Because they are faster than Yao, they get to positions first. Yao cannot throw them to the floor. He tried to go from side to side, but as Grizz did yesterday, they just switch defenders, so when Yao moved from one side to the other side, he found another defender already there in front of him. Yes, he may get in front if he comes out further, but he won't be a threat too far from the basket.

16. TIM BREAUX

TIM BREAUX Contributing Member

Tim Breaux is speakin...so listen up...

After carefully analyzing the current situation...and weighin all of the variables and such...I think I have figured out what Yao's problem is...has been recently....here it is...the solution...

Tracy McGrady...#uno...has been out of the lineup...

It looks like he may be back for the next game...Yao's problem solved.

The big fella played his ass off last night and got ZERO support...TMac is coming back and soon you will see the team round into shape. NOT IMMEDIATELY...but soon. You can't remove a #1 or #2 player on a team and expect things to be peachy keen.

We should be thankin our lucky stars that Yao got up last night...otherwise Tmac would be catchin hell in about a week from you so called experts.

When the Rox go on a big win streak soon...let's hear all your advice about ball handling, aggression and backing away from the ball.

Tim Breaux has spoken and as usual, it was right on the ball. Now it's back to the bench for some liquid refreshment.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Good thread and some interesting points. Someone else brought this up earlier that the Rox passers should try throwing it higher to Yao. The guy is 7'6" and a shorter defender on his back isn't going to be able to climb over him to pick off a pass. A high lob pass seems like it would be soft enough and easy enough for Yao to handle.

Following up on another point brought up is the lack of Yao of medium range shots. If Yao can't get position or the passers can't get it to him deep enough Yao should be taking more medium range shots to force the D to sag off of him. This is why I've always thought Yao should have a sky hook that would be devestating from about 10' away from the basket. His baby hook is good but a 7'-6" skyhook could be delivered over the basket and it wouldn't matter if a defender was fronting him.

18. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

The thing is although Yao is much taller, he doesn't jump well. If the defender fronts Yao, and if Yao doesn't creat some seperation between himself and the defender, there is not much room for the pass to go. Yao needs to take a step back when his defender fronts him and lean on him.