1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Simple formula

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mulder, Nov 23, 1999.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Put Drew in, lose your lead. It is so predictable you can set your watch by it.

------------------
    The truth is out there... but not in the post.

[This message has been edited by Mulder (edited November 23, 1999).]

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You know, I defended/defend Drew a lot, but I have to admit thedreamshake99 and others were right about that much. The lead does wilt each time he comes in. I still don't think he should be cut though -- I think (hope) he'll improve.

------------------
    Clutch
    Out to prove Scottie Pippen will apologize at gunpoint.
    www.clutchcity.net

3. Mulder

Agreed. Cutting anyone would be a mistake 12 games into the season. You have to give a team time to gel. BUT, Rudy does need use DREW for something besides forcing passes into the post and playing lousy Defense.
    Let's just not do something crazy like... oh Idon't know... signing him to a seven year deal.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by Mulder (edited November 23, 1999).]

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why not let Cuttino run the point and Drew play 2 with the second unit?

Cat ran the point all last year.

DaDakota

5. green smurf

green smurf Member

um, well...Drew played a lot of minutes tonight and we won...and it wasn't just garbage minutes...

6. Lainey

Lainey Member

And, alot of times, there's other personnel changes at the same time as Drew....it's so amazing that everytime the Rockets falter it's HIS fault....I don't hear anyone complaining about Mobley's jacking up every shot he sees - that affects the offense more than Drew....check out the shooting percentages!!!

Against the Kings (and I know it's history now) it was Drew's fault we lost because he didn't run over and give Calvin a megaphone so Cuttino and Francis could hear Murph shout - MOVE THE BALL!!!! But like I said, it was Drew's fault.

And everyone was all over him for his 5-18, and deservedly so, but will Francis get the same treatment for his 7-20 performance??? I doubt it.

7. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whoa there Lainey...
    I have to disagree with you on the Mobley's effect on the offense compared to Drew's. I think that you might be mixing your apples with your oranges here. Cats job as a shooting gaurd is to SHOOT, Drew's job as a pg is to make the offense run smoothly and get the ball to Cuttino so that he can jack up shots. Now I admitt that Cat's shot selection may not always be the greatest, but I like his aggressive attack the basket style of play.
    The point here though is whether or not Drew runs the offense effectively when he comes in the game. The answer to which at the moment is no.

[This message has been edited by O-dawg (edited November 24, 1999).]

8. Mulder

Green Smurf,
    Granted those were not garbage minutes, but that was a garbage team that we just played. I know, I know, a win is a win. But having Drew in for long stretches against the delapidated Mudbricks crew and doing that against any other team in the league at full strength is comparing apples and oranges. As for having Cat run the point that might not be a bad idea. Heck, if you have read some of my other posts you know I'm up for any kind of change, I just don't think Drew should be playing in Franchise's spot. He FORCES (and telegraphes) passes into the post way too often, and his "D" is worse than Franchise's.

------------------

9. Lainey

Lainey Member

O-dawg - I know I’m comparing apples to oranges, but shooting guards should be able to shoot better than PGs according to your argument – that’s why the PG should be passing to the SG so that they can jack up shoots….here are Mobley’s percentages (.380 and .304 from three-point land) compared to Drew’s (.400 and .353).

I am in no way trying to compare the players and say that Drew is better so please don’t jump all over me….I’m just trying to make the point that Drew gets blamed for everything (no matter what he does), but there are four other players out there with him (usually not starters), and the SG that’s usually out there with him – Mobley - is shooting worse that he is….but yet it’s Drew’s shooting that always gets talked about and blamed for losing the game. I just think it’s unfair to say that he is SOLELY responsible every time the Rockets lead fades when he’s in there or they lose. It’s a team game, and you have to look at it as a whole.

10. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lainey - I definitely agree with your point about SOLELY blaming Drew for a Rockets loss of a lead or a game. This is a team sport and the whole team (including the coach) shares the responsiblilty for a game loss. The loss of a lead too, can not solely be blamed on Drew when he is in at point.

But, I still am not comfortable with the way the team runs when Drew is in at point. There is a different flow to the game and I find myself waiting for the opposing team to make a run on us. Not, just because of him, but MAINLY because of him, because the offense starts with the point guard.

In any case I think that Drew difinitely has skills (but would probably make a better two guard) and last night both he and Cat IMHO played great. Who knows maybe both of these guys are breaking out of thier shooting slumps and we won't have to debate why are bench seems to lose leads. Keep your fingers crossed.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Calling Drew a "shooting guard" started around the time that John Thompson (during the Lakers game?) said it.

But it's a misnomer. Drew is NOT a shooting guard. He is a guard who can shoot. But a 2 has to be able to D the 2s, and has to be able to move without the ball, etc. Some athleticism is a good idea. Drew wouldn't do us any good at the 2 anyway, since we already have 2 players playing that position.

Drew is more along the line of Steve Kerr or Matt Maloney. You put him at "point guard" and then let another player (Jordan, Drexler) handle the ball. Make Drew's only job to hit shots when others get doubled, and he could thrive.

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Drew is the problem so much as dumb combinations of players. I keep hearing people say the NBA is about matchups yet Rudy seems to never try to dictate those matchups. Last night, Drew was trying to guard Finley. That wasn't a bright idea given that Anderson was hot and was putting the clamps on Finley. Rudy even put Drew in the game with the runners like Rodgers, Cato, Mobes and Anderson when Francis is the guy with the better chemistry with those players. Needless to say that lineup didn't work all that well because Drew has trouble with handling the ball, has trouble passing and he seems to not be able to shoot off the dribble. Every catch-n-shoot situation Drew was in resulted in a made shot. I believe that if Rudy is going to use that lineup, Cat should run the point, since he does it more efficiently than Drew and put Drew at the 2 so he can catch-n-shoot.

Rudy tends to use combinations of players who are without chemistry. Whenever Rodgers and Francis are on the floor together, good things happen. So why doesn't Rudy maximize how often those two play together?

I don't think it is fair to blame Drew when it is Rudy's fault for creating lineups that lack chemistry and/or create huge defensive weaknesses. It seems whenever we have the lead, Rudy takes the opportunity to experiement with the line up.

13. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Couldn't have said it better JeffB, Rudy should also continue to play the set of players that give you the lead, instead of leading for 12 points, pulling out all starters, and watching the lead slips away. Last night the Mavs were back in thel game in the second quarter, as our sub unit couldn't hit a shot in that period.