1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

A different kind of religion thread?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RichRocket, Jun 25, 2001.

1. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Will you accept trusted second-hand accounts?

My friend (the one that lives in SLC) was losing his mother to cancer. He went to see her and she started lucidly telling him that Jesus had come into the room with him and was, in fact, standing just behind my friend.

He is still moved by the re-telling of this tale 25 years later; he is very spiritual but not religious in any sort of conventional way.

My brother-in-law nearly died in an accident when he was just a young boy. He kept telling his mother about the bearded man in the robes that kept coming to visit him.

He is a devout man who tells dirty jokes.

Go figure!

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

2. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

My father had something similar to what you're talking about.

About 7 years ago he started his own company on the side, though he was still employed elsewhere. Basically he was building automatic tractors and what not that ran automatically. I'm not real sure.

Anyways, my Dad's company was competing with Walmart who, to say the least, weren't too happy. Walmart proceeded to sabotage his orders, and try to put him out of business illegaly. To this day, I have absolutely no respect for Walmart because of that incident.

My father ends up having a dream where he's being chased by two Walmart "thugs", becomes stressed from there on out, and ends up having a minor heart attack.

He took that as a "sign" that it was time to move and find another job.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited June 25, 2001).]

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know if that's a "sign" but it is certsainly a sign. If your work is giving you heart-attacks, you find a new line of work!

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

4. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Ok Haven i have many weird experiences in my life that were weird but this one was the strangest to me.

Ever since i was about 4 years old I have had this paranoia about ghosts. I have never actually seen one but i have always beleived in them. Every night i would go to sleep looking everywhich direction paranoid that there was a ghost in my house. Id sit there scared with my eyes closed sometimes just praying for them to go away. As i got older i became less paranoid about them, but id still look out my door every night expecting to see a ghost there. But one night when i was 13 i was lying down on my couch in my rec. room (this being the place where i usually sleep now becausde the computer, tv etc.) and this weird feeling came over my body. It wasnt like a chill but it was like something went inside me and moved around and then came out. I was so scared that i just layed there for about 3 hours with the covers over my eyes.

I sat there pondering the next morning over what the hell it was. I mean it couldnt have been the airconditioning or something, i had lived there for 13 years and this is the first time this had happened! So i went to my sister whos room was right next to the rec. room. I told her about this and she told me that the exact same thing had happened to her 2 days ago. I was in shock to hear her describe it because it was the exact same thing that had happened to me. I asked her what she think it was and right as i said it the door to her room opened for no reason. I swear to god i had never been so scared in my life. I told her that i didnt want to talk about it ANYMORE and left the room.

About two months later i was taking a shower (our house has hollywood style bath) and when i came out of the shower the faucet to the sink in my bathroom were going full blast. I know i did not turn them on and no one was in the house besides me. By this time i had had enough of this paranoia sh*t. I just yelled out loud " GOD DAMNIT LEAVE" And i swear to god the front door opened and closed. IT SCARED THE BEJESUS out of me after i went down stairs and found that no one was in the house. And everyone else that lived at my house was in a different state for gods sakes.

I dont know what to think of it all. Was there some kind of ghost in my house that left after i told them to get out? Or am i just screwed up in the head? I really dont know, but i just thought id share so u guys can tell me what u think of it all.

------------------
    "The early bird may get the worm, but so does the bird that finished off the tequila bottle the night before" :)

5. haven

haven Member

DrewP: Do a search. We've had a couple of really good ghost story threads on here [​IMG].

------------------
    Newbiehad... coming to a bbs near you, October 31st.

6. DrewP

i was hopin u could seriously help me with search. i looked under "ghosts" and there only one that has to do with what im talking about in the past year. In that thread someone refered to "strangest thing u have ever seen" thread but i cant find it! im really interested. HELP!

------------------
    "The early bird may get the worm, but so does the bird that finished off the tequila bottle the night before" :)

7. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

DrewP, I think this may be what you're looking for. Its an awesome thread with some bone-chilling stories and experiences similar to yours. Enjoy.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/002937.html

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."
    - Geroge W. Bush, commenting on the troubled continent, to reporters in Sweden

8. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

The following experience that I had totally changed my view on my life.

It was the summer right before my sophomore year of high school. I was with a few friends and we were about the watch the MLB All-Star Game on TV, and we were just getting some grub to watch the game with.

Well, my friend's Mom dropped he and I off at a restaurant just to grab some food, and she went to the store across the street to pick up a few things. So we went in, got our food, and started to cross the street to get to his Mom's car.

Well, traffic was all backed up at the streetlight, and it was a red light, so I figured we'd just walk between the cars, because they weren't moving. Everything was fine, but I forgot about the right hand turn lane, which was moving much quicker, since you can turn right on a red. I got nailed by a minivan doing 60 (he said LATER he was doing 60, but I'm betting he was going a lot faster)...I hit the front of his car and was immediately thrown at least 15 feet.

Right as I was hit, I remember leaving the ground, and THIS is the freaky thing (finally [​IMG])--I left my body for a minute. I remember looking down at myself, flying through the air, and just this feeling of TOTAL peace. I couldn't hear anything, I had NO cares or anything. I just looked at myself--I wasn't frightened, and I wasn't apprehensive in the least--I can't stress enough how peaceful it all felt. But slowly, after what seemed like a few minutes, I went back into myself and I hit the ground.

This was the strangest things: Dozens of people jumped out of their cars to attend to me, because I DID fly like 15-20 feet. But when the paramedics got there, not so much as a BRUISE. Nothing. The doctors had no idea what happened to me, and they took me on an ambulance to the hospital, but they couldn't find a thing on me, so they let me go (I think they were disappointed, they wanted to add to the already HEFTY bill [​IMG]).

Made me take life a little more seriously.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Well Haven....

Is she perfect?

If she is, don't let her get away while you ponder your faith.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

10. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

haven: is she the one that wants YOU to move to Salt Lake City?

slcrocket: after the incident, what were your thoughts about what you had seen and what the outcome was? Did you yearn for that peace?

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited June 25, 2001).]

11. Major

Major Member

I know exactly what you're talking about, haven. I think I'm similar to you in that I need evidence of things to believe in them. However, there are so many weird things, premonitions, etc, that I've experienced that simply can't be random luck or chance, so I completely believe in fate or destiny of some sort.

Believing in fate means that there has to be some type of "God" or supernatural existence out there, because it can't be explained by science. Thus, I believe in God. I don't know about heaven or hell or reincarnation or anything like that, but I truly believe that there's someone / something out there watching over us. It's very odd for me, given the fact that I really need to see things to believe them.

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

12. DrewP

thanks azim... i got about half way down the 1st page and stopped becausde its dark and im starting to feel this cold feeling on th e back of my neck after reading some of those stories

------------------

13. haven

haven Member

Yesterday, an old friend of mine had a night-long layover in Boston on her way to Europe. We decided to meet for dinner. She's a devout Christian, and she's never actively tried to convert me... but at the same time, she's tried to... ahh, steer me in that direction.

During dinner, I asked her if she was still religious, after going to Abilene Christian U (seems to me that place could turn off anyone [​IMG] ). She replied to the gist of "Mark, we've fought over this enough. You're not interested in real discussion. Don't mention it."

That bothered me a little. Later, we were talking about "strange" things that happened recently. She gave me a peculiar expression, and I asked her what she meant. She replied to the extent that "You know, you always want a sign that God's real, and demand proof. How do you know that wasn't your proof right there?"

The event in question involved my current girlfriend. This sounds really hoaky (but heck, I don't know any of you [​IMG] ), but I was reading a book, and my roommate was on his computer. Out of nowhere he said "she's perfect." I thought that was odd, since I was thinking of the girl I'd been dating for 2 months at the time. I asked him what he meant, and he gave me a blank look and said he didn't know. I asked him if he had indeed said that, and he said yes, that he just didn't know why.

Last night after this conversation, I dreamed of dying. Very disturbing... I was in an explosion, and it was like falling asleep into a dream.

I woke up in my grandparents home town, where I spent my holidays as a child. My cousins and uncle were there, and we began to play basketball. I guess this was the afterlife for me.

Have any of you had particularly "religious experiences?" Have you had a moment that changed you? For that matter, has some event made you an atheist? I'm not saying this has changed me. I don't know what to think of it. But it does bother me. It sounds hoaky, but I don't want to dimiss it, particularly after what my friend said.

I've been agnostic for years because I can't reconcile our world with a benevolent deity... but, last night was weird.

------------------
    Newbiehad... coming to a bbs near you, October 31st.

14. ScreamingRocketJet

Haven wrote:

"The event in question involved my current girlfriend. This sounds really hoaky (but heck, I don't know any of you ), but I was reading a book, and my roommate was on his computer. Out of nowhere he said "she's perfect." I thought that was odd, since I was thinking of the girl I'd been dating for 2 months at the time. I asked him what he meant, and he gave me a blank look and said he didn't know. I asked him if he had indeed said that, and he said yes, that he just didn't know why."

Maybe he was looking at p*rn on the net? [​IMG]

------------------

15. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

When I was 15, I was building a tree house with my friend at his holiday house. We climbed really high up the tree with our hands full of wood and stuff.
    Anyway, I was a few metres up when I slipped and fell out of the tree. I swear that I fell in slow motion- like someone was carrying me to the ground- but during the fall, I saw all these images of my life up to that point. It was my life flashing before my eyes.

Anyway, I hit the ground, but only came away with some bruises and cuts. It was a cloudy day, and when I came to, the sun was shining through the clouds onto me. My friend said it looked really weird.

I have always believed in God, and still do up to this day.

------------------
    http://titansmania.50megs.com

is far better to ask a question and be a fool for 15 minutes, than to never ask a question and be a fool for the rest of your life."

Confucious say: "Boy who meet girl in park, very lucky. But boy who park meat in girl, extremely lucky!"