1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think the Rockets need to do to be a better team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crazyguypete, Nov 14, 2005.

1. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

I've made a short list of what I think the Rockets need to do to be a better team.

1.) Play Yao Ming in short bursts. I think conditioning is still a big thing with Yao. I dont believe he can last 30, 35 minutes on the court. He gets just too tired. Van Gundy needs to watch Yao's minutes and play him in perhaps six minute increments. With Yao it needs to be quality not quantity.

2.) Play Mutombo. I know that Stro is in the big plans for the future of this ball club but Mutombo is playing for a championship now and the guy brings it. Great Defense and great rebounding.

3.) Luther Head should start. I love the way this guy plays. He carries himself with so much confidence which I think is lacking in our other point guard. Head right now is a better defender, shooter, and has more clutch factor then Alston and thus needs to start over him.

4.) The Young stars need to play with the old vets in the front court. I think both Yao and Stro have so much potential. However they are still young and make mistakes (Stro more then Yao). I feel that the Rockets need to always play Howard or Mutombo with Yao or Stro to help compensate for their mistakes.

5.) A pick to set Yao free in the post. There was a play in the Miami game which set Yao wide open in the post where Wesley set a pick on Mourning which allowed Yao to be wide open and allow him to get the ball in very good post position. Utah used to use this play all the time with Stockton and Malone.

6.) Houston needs to be much better on there defensive rotations.

7.) Need to be a good free throw shooting team.

8.) They need to establish a third scorer. (Anderson, Howard, Swift are the most likely candidates)

9.) Van Gundy's teams over the past two years tend to struggle against teams with two big men that can shoot the ball. Houston must develop a better strategy against this.

2. crazyguypete

crazyguypete Member

Oh yea and have a healthy Mcgrady ;)

3. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Play smarter..

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Make their defensive rotations, work on endurance training so they are fresh at the end of games and in back to back games.

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

1. Make a freakin shot

2-10. See above.

6. fiathland

fiathland Contributing Member

first, get a new shooting coach. Our shooters keep sucking even with the wide open.
    2nd, stop forcing Yao to chase guards, just to save his energy for something else.

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

1.) Stop playing Howard.

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Score at least 1 point more than the other team in each game.

9. fiathland

fiathland Contributing Member

Howard is playing decent, at least his offense is way better than swift.
    Who do you wanna play with? Swift? what else can he do besides dunk and some no brain shooting. He looks weak also on defese side.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

2.) Stop playing Howard.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Being weak is better than being non-existant, which is what Juwon brings. Howard gives up so many offensive rebounds to his man during crunch time, its disgusting. No one fears him on defense. He gets abused over and over again.

Atleast Swift has an excuse of being inexperienced and learning the system. What excuse can Juwon make? He is slow and has 0 heart. Its especially irritating when he messes up and has this big stupid smirk on his face.

12. 12stonestool

12stonestool Member

We need Latrell Spreewell like Detroit needs Rasheed Wallace.

13. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

i just puked inside of my mouth.

14. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Realize that they can't rely on Tracy's greatness every night to bail them out of trouble when they are losing to another team.

15. vizier

vizier Member

bring in a coach believes that "the best defence is offence".

16. kountzer

kountzer Member

Wind back history and draft Ty Prince, and NOT do the Mike James trade.

DB :eek:

17. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

hit uncontested shots...

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Mike James would still be here, and I would have the guards shooting several HUNDRED jumpers per day and into the night. Maybe bring in a shooting coach/expert to watch film and correct shooting technique. The shooting is ridiculous.

Stop having Ming run around the top of the key, also ridiculous.

Assign Swift a man and let him go one on one most of the time.

Fire Ewing, bring in a big man coach like Kareem.

"All we are saying is give Head a chance." Start Head, high risk, possible high rewards. This kid has "it," and though he will make mistakes, he is a legit NBA player, maybe a star. What's to lose at this point, our starting guards are very ineffective.

#18 solid, Nov 15, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  19. roxgirl

roxgirl Member

some mentioned above:

1.) hit shots
    2.) play smater
    3.) hit shots
    4.) play smarter

20. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Run a high-post focused triangle offense with Yao as the facilitator.

Mix up the defense with some zones and stop having Yao rotate to the 3-point line to chase guards.