1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is it the team or is it Van Gundy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Sports Fan, Nov 14, 2005.

1. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I guess it's different for everybody, but I can't attack a coach when there's been this many changes over the last year. I do criticize certain aspects of his philosophy and style, but it's still far too soon to figure out if JVG has anything to do with what's wrong with this team.

But I've been taking notes. :D

2. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

I don't mind Moochie being on the team and I understand that many think that he is good for team chemistry. But I feel that he should at least make an effort to look like he is vaguely deserving of a place on an NBA roster. Seeing him warm up I noticed him practicing left-handed air ball 3's and layups where he travelled and hit the under side of the rim. Don't we hire clowns to be mascots, not to be our back up point guards?

3. Jester

Jester Contributing Member

I'm not clear as to why he even holds a roster spot.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Exactly. Call me in January if they're still playing like this. Until then, be patient.

5. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I think because his expiring contract will be valuable come trade deadline. Meanwhile he is just taking up space on the roster. Combined with DW's contract we are looking at a bunch of dollars to trade for someone who has a long term deal already in place.

6. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

DD, most of these players are playing the same role they played last year. They were all veterans who should fit right in their roles. The one looking best is the rookie. Go figure.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Derek Anderson, Stromile Swift and Rafer Alston are playing the same roles they played last year? David Wesley is too?

8. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

JVG brought those guys in last year. It was his handpicked team last year and it's the same team we have this year. The only guy that is not here is Mike James. his 12 pts a game last year will be filled for by someone else. it's early, we're trying to figure out who is going to do it. luther head looks like a worthy candidate. and Sura is not here, true, but that's not on JVG. that's just the way it goes. So the same group of guys that we had last year are here this year.

I understand what you're getting at but it doesn't make sense because you are saying last year it was the new players that JVG brought in and not his coaching ability that changed, well if that's so, the problem on offense to begin with wasn't his coaching ability, it was the previous players before the player upgrade.

When we're a high-scoring, effiecient-machine, and Mgrady's rolling with the rest of the guys, which will happen again, it's the players, not the coach.

When we're low-scoring, stagnant, and Mcgrady's struggling - or in this case out for 3 games - it's the coach.

Can't have it that way. that's not the way it works.

9. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

:rolleyes:

10. edc

edc Contributing Member

True. However, "(consistent) high scoring" and Mr. Van Gundy are mutually exclusive. The Houston Rockets averaged 95.1 PPG last season, and were twentieth in the NBA in the scoring. Even when the offense was at its best, every 110-point outburst was countered by an 80-point snoozefest.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Can't come up with an argument as to why he wouldn't?

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

How about the fact that the Big Hippie is currently employed, hence the arguement is pointless

13. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Who said he was a bad coach?? However, I'm starting to wonder if someone with a little different coaching style could do better with this year's lineup. I'm not saying ditch the 'D', because we all know that's vitally important. But as for the offense, it just doesn't seem anything like a JVG-made offense. He gives some to let them run the court; they give some by setting it up at half-court. But he doesn't really know how to coach a "run 'em" type team. So I think he's not as effective coaching when it comes to offense.

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It is...........

The fans.

15. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Exactly.

And besides all that, we already have a pretty coach. OF COURSE this is probably a dream job for JAckson because he has never won anything with a shaq or Jordan, and I will dare say he wont either.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Got to hit some jump shots, and all will be well.

DD

17. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Look out... it's "FIRE GUNDY: Part II" :p

18. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Our shooting and chemistry will come around. Derek Andrson will do fine if he can stay healthy. I'm impressed that Wesley plays as well as he does.

As for the team - we just need time and healthy players - the shots will fall.

I'm staying clear of the Van Gundy debate - he has done better coaching offensively than I expected. He is a fine defensive coach. He gets my support.

We just need to maintain that lock down defense to stay competitve in the West.

Do not panic

19. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Here we go. Less than 10 games too!

20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Previously posted by sofine81-"we have a pretty coach"

I don't know if that is the right term. Distinguished or serious-intense.

Scrappy little rascal.