1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you want the Texans to DRAFT?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Luckyazn, Nov 14, 2005.

?

Draft Day 06' which would you prefer to happen ...

1. Draft Matt Leinart (replace David Carr)

17 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Draft Reggie Bush (can't pass him up)

131 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. Draft D'Brick (to fix OL)

71 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. Trade down top pick for more picks

61 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

mateo...

I even read one article saying some scouts quietly think cutler is the better QB.. even though leinart will be top qb selected.. cutler may very well be one of the top 3 qbs picked..

2. leehoang

leehoang Member

Somehow, someway...

Draft:

1. Reggie Bush = A very good RB
    2. Marcus Vick = Can't fix the OL, so draft a QB who can run.

Fire: Dom Capers and the rest of the coaching staff.

Hire: Jimmy Johnson

06-07: We win 8-10 games, guaranteed.

3. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

JJ in the offseason.

RB 1st pick

2-14 behind same lously line.

VY next year.

Then I'd be good with the Texans.

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Then VY suffers a career-ending injury behind the "same lousy line."

And Chance is no longer "good with the Texans."

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Exactly. The people on this board questioning that are the same people that will tell you that L.T. is the best back in the NFL all the while failing to realize the he was only 206 lbs coming out of college. And scouts are saying that they have Reggie Bush rated higher than they did L.T. The guy is the definitive "best player in the country".

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All this really says to me is that there are great RB's basically every year in the draft. Hell, last year there were 2 backs on ONE college team that went in the top 5 picks (Brown, Cadillac).

Bush may not even be that much better than his counterpart at USC... once again, we're looking to BUILD this team.

There will be RB's in the future... maybe even better than Bush... there might not be stuf LT's, however (just like there hasn't been any since Pace/Boseli).

7. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I heard matt jackson on 610 tonight say that he would not pick up the 8 million dollar option on Carr and I agree with him.

8. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

That doesn't mean that you will have a chance to draft one. And one has nothing to do with the other.

Although both may go in the first round, that is laughable. White is not even in the same stratosphere as Bush. Again, White is a good back, but he posesses none of the vision, speed, quickness, or the overall explosiveness that Bush has.

As I have previously stated in other posts, you DO NOT need to have an Orlando Pace to have a good offensive line.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

But you need good players, right now, we have none on the OL. If you have a chance to pick up a franchise type tackle like Pace or Walter Jones, and you're biggest hole is the OL, then it would be very silly not to pick him up.

Bush would be a great pick if we needed a RB, but we aren't in dire need of one. Right now we have a chance of picking up an unbelievable prospect at tackle, and if fits our need.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This has literally nothing to do with this thread, other than I think maybe the Texans should take a look at this guy when/if going after another speedster reciever. Anyone remember Jeremy Bloom? The Colorado WR/skiier, who got his eligibility revoked for accepting skiing endorsements(a move which I still think is complete crap on the NCAA's part to this day)? Here's a great ESPN article about him. It focuses a lot on his skiing career, but if you look through that, it's a good football article:

NFL looms, but Bloom looking for Olympic berth
    By Lindsay Berra
    ESPN The Magazine

As the Jamaican sun beat down upon him, Jeremy Bloom was thinking only one thing: he needed to earn some points.

He had already won the half-mile run and finished second in the kayak race, the bike race and the swim, but he'd been disqualified from the rock climb. ("I was a little too aggressive," he said). Sound crazy? That's because it was.

CBS has held its annual SuperStars competition in exotic places for more than 30 years (remember Heavyweight champ Joe Frazier nearly drowning in the '70s?), and Bloom planned to win the 2003 version.

To do it, he'd have to win the 100-yard dash and place at least fourth in the obstacle course. Against professional football players Dexter Jackson, Charlie Garner, Ahman Green, Will Allen and Hines Ward, neither would be easy.

The obstacle course and track were set up in a fenced-off area away from the Montego Bay resort area, where the other events were held. On the surrounding fields and beach, local Jamaicans of all ages played soccer and cooked on barbecues, but when the competition began, nearly everyone drifted over to peek through the chain-link fence.

Bloom, 21 at the time, barely edged out Formula One driver Thomas Schecter for fourth place in the obstacle course behind three football players; there was no way the 5-foot-9, 175-pound Bloom could push a sled as far as Dexter Jackson, anyway. For Bloom, the 100 was the moment of truth.

In mere seconds, the NFL got a preview of what, if all goes according to plan, it's going to get next year. Bloom shot off the line and ran step for step with Green, one of the NFL's blazers. By the end of the race, Bloom was 3 full yards ahead of Green. At the finish, the clock read 9.41 seconds. Green and Ward were left shaking their heads, Bloom had won his competition and cemented himself into the consciousness of the NFL's elite.

It is that kind of explosiveness that has defined Bloom's athletic career thus far, and it is that kind of explosiveness that he hopes will carry him through his next three challenges.

First is making the 2006 U.S. Olympic ski team. Despite Bloom's skiing successes (most recently, six consecutive World Cup victories last season) and mainstream popularity, an Olympic bid is no guarantee. Four spots are available for the moguls competition and there are a dozen skiers, including Bloom, Travis Cabral, 2002 silver medalist Travis Mayer, Toby Dawson and Nate Roberts, who have a shot.

After that, he'll start on the next challenge: medaling in Turin. In Salt Lake City in 2002, Bloom finished ninth overall in the freestyle moguls.

"As a skier, I'm so much better than I was in 2002," Bloom said. "The tricks I'm doing are so much harder. I've made a lot of progress with my speed, so I'm a lot faster and a lot more dynamic in the turns."

The moguls team leaves for fall camp in Wolf Creek, Colo., on Nov. 19 to train for the start of the upcoming season. There will be seven World Cup events before Turin and three of the U.S. Ski team spots will be determined by points earned in those competitions. On Dec. 30-31 in Steamboat Springs, Colo., the 16 members of the U.S. moguls team will compete in the anyone-can-win U.S. Olympic trials. The winner, regardless of previous performance, gets an automatic trip to Turin.

"Getting to the Olympics will be a difficult path for all of our athletes," U.S. moguls coach Scott Rawles said. "Going into the coming season, the slate is clean. The only thing the skiers are guaranteed is their World Cup starts."

For Bloom, that means taking his training one day at a time.

"I try to just focus on what I have to do on a daily basis," he said. "There are a lot of important dates coming up, but the way I've been able to prepare with the most success is to worry about today. I feel good, I feel like I'm in great shape and I believe I did everything I could over the spring, summer and fall to prepare for Olympic competition."

That included trips to U.S. Skiing's water ramps in Utah to learn new tricks, training trips to South America and Europe, and daily five-hour training sessions in the gym.

"Just a lot of plyometrics," he said with a smirk.

The moguls finals in Turin take place on Feb. 15. After that race and six years on the U.S. Ski Team, Bloom will say farewell to skiing and begin his third project: making the NFL. Just one week after the Olympics, Bloom, accompanied by his newly appointed football agent Gary Wichard, is expected to attend the NFL combine at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis.

There, Bloom plans to run the 40-yard dash in 4.2 seconds.

"I know I can impress the scouts with speed," Bloom said. "It's the big reason I had success in Colorado. Speed is what I bring to the table and in the NFL, you have to be fast."

Bloom, an All-State football player at Loveland (Colo.) High School, played two years for the University of Colorado before having his eligibility revoked by the NCAA for accepting scholarships that afforded him his ski career.

It has been two years since he's touched a football, which speaks to why he selected Wichard as his front man. Wichard represents several players who at one point were question marks, most notably Dwight Freeney, drafted 11th overall by the Colts in 2002 when no one wanted to touch a 6-foot-0 defensive end, and Adam Archuleta, a skinny linebacker who had never played safety and was taken 20th overall by the Rams in the 2001 draft.

Bloom's question mark is obvious, but in just two years of college football, he managed to accumulate stats so impressive that Wichard believes he'll go on the first day of the NFL draft in April. As a receiver/kick returner, Bloom averaged 19 yards per reception, 14 yards per punt return and 28 yards per kickoff return, all numbers that put him amongst college football's elite. Had he finished out his college career, it is only natural to think his numbers would have improved even further.

"I want Jeremy to go as high as possible in the draft and then prove people right," Wichard said. "I don't want him to go lower and then have to prove people wrong. I would be happy with a first-day pick, but that's not the ceiling for me."

Bloom's explosive speed -- the same speed that won the 100 at the SuperStars competition two years ago -- makes NFL scouts salivate.

"That word, explosive, is paramount to Jeremy's life, both on mountains and on the football field," Wichard said. "He is the most explosive player in this draft, without hesitation."

Bloom plans to add 10 pounds by the time he does his NFL pro-day workout in the spring, but the current success of smaller wide receivers like Washington's Santana Moss (5-foot-10, 190 pounds) and Carolina's Steve Smith (5-foot-9, 185 pounds) gives even more credence to the idea that it is OK to take a chance on less-than-hulking speedsters with on-field savvy. And Bloom, negating those who say football has nothing to do with skiing, thinks he has plenty of it.

"It's all about your reactions," Bloom said. "When you ski moguls, you're going so fast that all you see are colors and your senses take over. You're looking ahead all the time. You have to be able to read things and adjust, just like you do when you're running through the secondary or returning a punt or a kickoff."

Or exploding on to a brand-new scene.

ESPN's link

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

D'brick please.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That's easy for Matt Jackson or anyone of us to say. I'm not sure what to do though. On one hand, he hasn't really warranted that 8M option, but I don't like the idea of just letting him walk and only having Banks to back him up.

Also, there are players like Leinart that are available this summer, and there will be studs like VY and Vick available next summer. But I do get the feeling Carr will get the extension.

13. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

Trade down and pick up extra 2nd or 3rd this year and an extra 1st for next year.
    Pick the Brick
    roll your dice for one more year on Carr. If he dos not pan out then you have 2 #1's next year that would allow you to move up and take VICK, YOUNG or Quinn

14. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

This draft has 2 extreme Studs that will make people do a ricky williams move. Those 2 positions(QB,RB) are not our biggest weaknest so we would be able to clean house and still fill our biggest need with a bookend takle.

15. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I can't believe the majority of the people here are rooting for Bush.

RB is not what this team is lacking now.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree with this.

17. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I can agree that we may not need a RB and if we did or didn't draft Bush i'd be OK with it, but I think any of you who just think Reggie Bush is just an ordinary running back like Cadillac Williams or Ronnie Brown is smoking crack and I question if you've really ever seen him play and hopefully you will be in my fantasy football league next year so that you'll pass on Bush and I can draft him. :)

18. msn

msn Member

That's just it. The Texans need to win football games, not fantasy football games.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Because there's never been a player who looked exceptional in college and didn't go on to be a Hall of Famer in the NFL.

Two words: Jamal. Lewis.

:D

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Let's hope that happens. Wouldn't it be great to pick up multiple draft picks with the #1 pick including a top 5 pick and another first rounder, along with maybe a 3rd rounder?

We could conceivably fix our entire offensive line with this draft and the offseason.