1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tonight Just Another Game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Curly, Nov 23, 1999.

1. Curly

Curly Member

You just have to feel that something has to change...they're just not that bad! I can't figure it out either. It is very frustrating to watch a team that you know could have won some of these games, just lay down. I don't even begin to think I could figure it out. But something has to change somewhere. And I don't think it will be a drastic change either. Something as simple as starting Rogers over Williams might be it? Or should it be Rogers finishing the game over Williams. I'm not as concerned with our starting lineup as I am with our ending lineup.

2. Caveman

Caveman Member

The Freak:
    Changes should have already been made when it was 0-1 at home. I thing Rockets will go to 2-11.

Prove me Wrong Rudy! I dare you.

------------------
    Rockets' biggest problem is not player talent levels, it is the coach's ineptitude.

3. GermanRocket

GermanRocket Member

Something has to change, but I don't think it should be a trade.
    I think we need to focus on 5 things:
    1) Walt Williams should not play more than 15 minutes. Let Anderson play 20 at the SG and 20 at the SF position instead.
    2) Drew should not play more than 5 minutes, and they should not be in the fourth quarter.
    3) Francis has to watch his turnovers.
    4) Barkley should focus on rebounding and should not clog the lane.
    5) Mobley needs to make sure he doesn't take any dumb shots.

I really, really hope the Rockets will win tonight.

4. popeye

popeye Member

That's right on Herr Rocket.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I will tell you one thing that will change: the price my friends will pay for my other season ticket.

ugh....this is absolutely miserable. very very painful to witness at the stadium. This is my first year with tickets, and you really do learn to empathize with the players and coaches. It changes your persective immensely, going from TV fan to ticket fan.

One thing that should change WITHOUT A DOUBT: Rudy should step up in public and take some heat off his players. He should vocally criticize himself, and say in public that his players are working their asses off. Whether it is true or not, this coach is not taking responsibility. I am getting tired of him saying the players continue to make mistakes. A good coach should know when to stop making remarks like that.

Rudy owes it to us fans to take some heat away from the players.

And, he owes me a victory----ahhhhhhhhh

this is terrible. I want to win as many games as we possibly can. I want to see the starters have the opportunity to lose games...not some 2nd team. I want to see Cato get more minutes for the purpose of shoring up our defense. I want to see some defensive pride...team pride.

This coach must maintain team pride. If we lose, the change must start with Rudy taking some responsibility, and finding a rotation that takes a lot of pride in defense. Defense is the only thing I see that we can improve that will help our competitiveness this season!!

6. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Well TheFreak, looks like the answer to your question will have to be postponed to Friday night (or later hopefully). Rudy will not change a thing after the win against a very weak Dallas team. We will go into the game against Portland with a unimaginative offense and a lackluster defense against a team that just had a close loss to Cleveland. Trust me on this folks, Portland will show up to kick our ass. I just hope we shut down Pippen at least so he doesn't run his freakin' mouth. When he was in Chicago, he reminded me of Bill Walton (who used to win the 6th man award by being the first off the bench to say "Good game Larry.") He had the extreme benefit of playing with Jordan. If he wins a ring without MJ I think his head will swell so much he won't be able to fit in the Arena. Oh crap, sorry I lost it for a second there. I'm OK now. Out. Please Rockets, beat Portland.

------------------
    The truth is out there... but not in the post.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Guys, and this is a serious question, does anyone think any changes will be made if we lose tonight? I mean, another loss and we're 0-7 at home. 0-7! Did anyone think another Rockets' team would ever start off 0-7 at home? We're talking Clipper territory here. It's not like we've been losing to the league's elite at home, either (Orlando, Milwaukee, LA minus Kobe/Shaq). We'd also be staring 2-12 right in the face with Portland coming up on Friday. And let's be honest, the teams we've beaten were just AWFUL. I remember when Phoenix lost I think their first 9 games a few years ago, Cotton Fitzimmons retired in favor of Danny Ainge. I'm not saying Rudy might leave if we lose this one game, but does anyone see at least a lineup change or a shakeup in the rotation? I'd like to think of this as a rebuilding year and cut the coaching staff major slack, but all the postups and "security blanket" talk, along with the fact that our 1st-round pick has yet to play makes me think they're trying to win games first and foremost. If that's their goal, how can 0-7 at home be acceptable?

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I'm sure they are certainly looking at trade possibilities, but don't expect anything. We really don't have that much trade bait.

Of course, it really doesn't take trade bait to move Walt Williams out of the starting lineup.

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Good question. I seriously doubt anything will be done if we lose this game. That frustrates me more than anything! I agree with you that something needs to be changed. Be it offensive style, defensive intensity, shooting free-throws granny style, I don't care, just change SOMETHING.
    All I know is if we lose to the Mudbricks I'm never going to hear the end of it from those punk kids from Dallas at work.