1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portable dvd players?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Nov 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I do enough travel that I could justify buying a portable dvd player. I've seen a lot of cheap brands out there selling them for around $100 bucks now. I know you get what you pay for, but has anyone bought these cheapies and liked them?

What are the things you should be looking for in a portable player? I know battery time is important, but how do you go about finding out how long they last for each player?

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

You gadget gurus are really letting me down on this one. :confused:

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Just buy a cheap Laptop with a DVD drive... DVD players are useless because you can get a used laptop with a DVD player on eBay for 200 bucks.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I bought the Panasonic one when it first came out, but that was before DVD players were on laptops....

Best to get a laptop.....

But if not, any of them will do...we got one for the car for our kids, and it has 2 screens......so they each get to watch their own screen, works great on long trips.

DD

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We got a Panasonic (?) at Sam's Club. It comes with attachments to suspend the player between the front seats for viewing by kids in the backseat. Nifty.

6. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

like everyone said, i use a laptop for my travel needs.

i've been looking at portable media players though. the archos and video ipod are great looking. sure, they don't play a dvd, but they'll play all the media files i have on my computer (tv shows etc). they're also a lot more handheld than a dvd player.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I've seen that one before, I can't remember how makes it. I was thinking about getting that one because of the 2nd screen.

I'm actually looking to get a portable DVD player for myself to be entertained during my 21 trips to Saudi. (about 17 flying, and 4-5hrs of lay over in Amsterdam)

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think it is Kawasaki, am pretty sure....it was at Target.

DD

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Saw one in this week's Big Lots ad for $150.

10. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I considered laptop too before I bought mine. I don't think you can find a $200 lap top that will last you a while. They are also too heavy unless you get the more expensive ones, then you will have to worry about loss or break down. Of course you can use laptop for other things.

I ended with a 7" Axiom portable DVD player at Fry's a yr ago for ~$100 with all accessories, battery, carry bag .... The cheapest you could find. I figured if it didn't work out, I'd be out $100, no big deal.

Turns out that it works great, battery lasts 2-3 hrs. Can also plug in AC or Car cigarette lighter. I have DVDs copied with my DVD recorder and they only play in my portable DVD player and not in 1 of my full size DVD players. It is like a small book, about 5 lbs, very convenient. I would carry it anywhere, I wouldn't carry a lap top around for long.

When you check them out, of course look at the video but you need to pay attention to the sound as well, some might not be loud enough in loud environment.

BTW, longer International flights should have personal TV for each seat with long list of movie, music selection and many eletronic games.

#10 ragingFire, Nov 3, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I feel the same way. I really don't have a need for a laptop, especially when I can get a dvd player for around $100 bucks. I've been looking for some reviews, but am having a hard time finding good ones.

12. Uprising

Ummmm Noooo, they don't if you fly economy class.

I don't fly First or Business.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You should fly Emirates then.

14. Uprising

Heh...maybe.

I fly with the cheapest available though. I regulary fly KLM.

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

We've bought some cheap ones (Initial) that have better screens than some of the brand names. Do have to be careful about sound volume, one brand we returned because could not hear it. W/ the Initial...kiddos played w/it until the screen did some odd things, but they stood by their warranty and sent out a replacement.