1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas vs Oklahoma St

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Oct 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All I know is I won $400 on the over 57pts spread.

GO TEXAS !!

:)

DD

2. MManal

MManal Member

Im in agreement with Haven on this one. If you take a look at the actual computer polls (Sagarin, Massey, Wolfe, Hester, etc) Texas's schedule stacks up pretty favorably against VT's. CU and TTU are considered top 20 teams by these polls, and OU is considered right at the top 25 or just outside. OU for instance is nowhere near the top 25 in the human polls. If you add this to Ohio State being a top 15 team in the computers, the Longhorns are in a good spot. All this does not include the wins today by each of those 4 teams which should for the most part strengthen their rankings. Realistically, if Virginia Tech is going to be a consensus #1 or #2 in the computer polls, it better happen by next week (following the Miami game), otherwise, the odds of it happening will drop substantially. The reality is, Virginia and UNC (Va Tech's final 2 opponents before the ACC game) are not viewed as strong opponents in the computer polls. Not including UNC's loss to Miami today, these two teams are essentially in the 40-50 range in rankings in the computer polls (even though the human polls may view UVA as higher ranked).

The one interesting point is that ever since Florida State lost to Virginia and Virginia lost to UNC, Florida State's computer ranking has gone way down. The average of the six computer rankings for Florida State is 15th. If you consider that Colorado's is 19th, the computers dont view these two teams as very different. The only reason FSU is 10th in the BCS and CU is 24th is due to the effects of the human polls. When Sagarin, Colley, Hester, etc. calculate their final computer rankings they do not take into account what the human polls say.

All this being said, barring a very strange occurrence, imo, at season's end I dont think Texas and Va Tech will have vastly different computer rankings. I think the computer rankings will be comparable, but Texas will have a significant advantage in the human polls thus putting Texas in the Rose Bowl.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Polls Suck
    Human polls include too much bias and favortism
    the
    computer polls don't include enough of the FEEL for the teams/Game

For instance UT v OU is different than it seems on paper
    hell . .the UT v A&M games MEANS more than just #1 v unranked

Playoff is the ONLY way to go

Rocket River

4. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

I think Miami beats Virginia Tech anyway

5. junglerules

junglerules Member

I agree that I was never worried Texas would lose the game, but I was very worried throughout that the showing would affect our standings in the human polls. It's just the way things go- I'd have a hard time voting for Texas over USC after last night's game, unless I'm Mike Gundy. Unfortunately, with several undefeated teams left, it does come down to style points. We struggled with a horrible team that seems to have our number in the first half each year, while USC's struggles have come against (win-loss wise) better teams, like Oregon and Notre Dame, for instance.

So, I expect us to lose some ground on USC, but hopefully still be a solid #2 in the human polls. With that said, it is normal for a team to struggle here and there. Other than against a good Ohio State team on the road, when else has UT struggled this year? They've been bombing teams. They still won by 19 last night, which speaks to their talent and refusal to quit. Certainly it should've been worse for OK. ST, but it still could've been worse for Texas as well. I'd argue it's often difficult in its own right to play a team that sucks, because they are loose, much willing to take risks, etc. Some people on the East Coast who didn't stay up late might see 47-28, and think it was a blowout to begin with....who knows, I don't have a lot of faith in the research skills of some voters.

I do hope UT takes it out on Baylor next week. It should feel like a home crowd with large doses of orange in Floyd Casey Stadium up in Waco. It'll be very interesting to see how the Miami-VT game plays out. Could be a huge key to the way the season breaks down. Down to 5 unbeatens left, with 1 more guaranteed to lose (USC-UCLA) and 'Bama and VT guaranteed to play some top 15 teams down the stretch. Schedule-wise, UT is in the best shape as far as winning their own games. Their just might not be as high a reward for taking care of business vs. these teams that are down this year (A&M, for example.)

6. junglerules

junglerules Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt05.htm

Updated Sagarin ratings....(Look at the Elo Chess in RED, which is used by the BCS, not the RATING in Purple....)

Some rankings of note....

1. Texas
    2. USC
    3. VT

7. Ohio St.
    10. Texas Tech
    15. Colorado
    22. Oklahoma

These are the teams Texas has going for it if they can keep winning. Obviously, USC has Notre Dame (#19) and Oregon (#7) and VT will get big spikes from Miami (11) and Florida St. (13) if they can beat those teams. But, I think it does speak for those people who say Texas has played a crap schedule. The schedule is better than it sounds, though I'd agree it's not as tough as playing in the SEC or even Big 10 this year. Also, Texas did play someone out of conference who is big time (Ohio State) when last year, through no fault of their own, Auburn was hurt by playing the Citadel or someone else horrible because Bowling Green backed out on them. Regardless, I'd like to see Texas rewarded for going on the road out of conference and beating someone very good, rather than just relying on their "so called weak" conference schedule.

We'll see what happens.....

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The Hokies are going down this week.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Texas is looking STRONG....

And it would benefit UT if Colorado can win out and be a respectable opponent in the Big 12 title game.

If Mizzou wins this weekend, that will hurt UT (assuming they win out) A&M will be tough at home....

DD

9. micah1j

micah1j Member

Wow - Texas moved up. This was the only BCS computer poll last week that had Texas at #2. :cool:

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If you actually watched this game and know a little bit about football you know that the momentum generated by turnovers and big plays will decide evenly matched games and can keep an overmatched team in a game.
    That was the case here. The turnovers and the 'suprise' 4th and 1 play that yielded a touchdown made it look like The Horns were in trouble. But Coolhand Vince has righted the ship before and I'm sure even the Cowboy fans pretty much expected the come-back. With Texas and USC the comeback ability is more a sign of their strenght than their propesity to get behind a sign of weakness.

The injuries at tailback were disconcerting but Vince don' need no stinkin tailbacks.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I sure hope so. :) But traditionally, Miami has major problems with Tech in Blacksburg.

Yesterday was the first time I had seen Miami play in awhile and I was expecting big things from Kyle Wright (their QB) as he had progressed rather nicely since the opening game with FSU. Well after watching him throw 3 ints and seeing Miami down at halftime 16-7 to an inferior North Carolina team, I was very disappointed. I hate to admit this, but I was so disgusted that I didn't even watch the 2nd half. Thus I missed the comeback (27-0 Miami outscored them in the 2nd half) :eek: :(

Miami's defense is their biggest strength this season. I have lots of confidence that they can shut down Tech's offense or at least contain them somewhat. The key, like it always is when they play them up there, will be limiting turnovers and sound special teams play. Wright has got to learn not to force things and let his teammates (i.e. Tyrone Moss) help him win the game.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

...what's even worse is that he didn't even go to UT. He's another t-shirt fan from Southwest Texas State. (err...TX State)

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We're just like you and OU. Except our alma mater's football team can actually win a game.

By the way, I know you think this is some sort of witty insult, but I'm neither ashamed of where I went to school or who I root for in football (and basketball and baseball). But, you know, keep saying it if it makes you feel better.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you're outta your element, Donny!

:p

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Classic!!! :D

16. nycrocket

nycrocket Contributing Member

Texas would be in even better shape if we didnt have the Rice Elo-Chess 165 dragging us down. They are clearly the weakest link on the schedule. Mack should strongly consider dropping the Rice game next year in favor of a more formidable opponent such as Hofstra(142), Furman(92), or Wofford(116).

17. Major

Major Member

That's not true. Polls are worth 2/3rds. If VaTech is universally #1 and Texas universally #3 in the computers, and Texas is universally #2 in the polls and VaTech universally #3 in the polls, then they'd be virtually tied. It would depend on just a few votes here and there. If more people put VaTech at #2 than put Texas at #1, we'd be out.

It's a lot closer than people would like to think.

18. Major

Major Member

To me, it's a whole different issue than optimism or caution. It's not worrying about anything. Let the thing play out. In the last several years of the BCS or whatever, it has never played out how the experts thought it would. Just last week, the experts were stunned that Texas got to #1.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you know what's even worse...... having TWO great football teams to root for this season, as opposed to having NONE. that and not having a massive inferiority complex.......

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Bummer last night though. :(

Oh well, at least in that division, one conference loss won't necessarily kill you.

You going to the game next weekend?