1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Hornets 10/27/05

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Oct 27, 2005.

1. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Thanks ds888!

2. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

One of two Rockets fans in our nosebleed section. Really enjoyed the first half, really enjoyed the second half because the game finally got good. Really hated watching Speedy decimate our backcourt. Was happy for OKC, about time they had a pro team, even if its basically just a time share. Too bad half the city will turn on them when they show their true colors during the regular season. First time i've seen the Rockets play in person in a couple years so that was nice. Not concerned about the outcome, preseason is just a chance for the scrubs to get used to passing the ball to the stars. Hear that scrubs? Pass the ball to Yao when he's set in the post you punks.

3. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

4. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

I'd like to see that footage. That sounds pretty darn cool to me.

/warmfuzzy

5. Panda

Panda Member

We played most of the 4th qtr with Ryan Bowen and Lonny Baxter running the show, while our real centers sat on the bench. That pretty much tells us how much importance JVG attached to the game.

6. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

That's Houston talk for: We would be lucky to get that kind of support during the playoffs, never mind that it's a preseason game. That arena was louder than last year's game 6, when the Rox were desperate to win.

How many NBA teams have an empty arena like the Rockets did against the Jazz? Atlanta Hawks' fans were laughing at us. Yeah, it was the World Series, but it shows how fair weather Houstonians are about the Rockets. Madison Square Garden was sold out when the Yankees were playing. That is the eternally lottery bound New York Knicks versus the championship contending Houston Rockets with two superstars.

That's the kind of thing that makes you embarrassed to be a Rockets fan

7. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Many people blame the guards for not getting Yao involved as much as appropriate. That's true. But Yao shares the blame. He should have demanded the ball. IT IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY to demand the ball when he is getting paid MAX. Why? Because he should be doing the most to help the team win (getting paid the most ehh) and that starts by getting the ball.

It's like when a project fails because the team members don't follow instructions. Then the project leader says:" hey they didn't follow instructions, blame them". Then what's a project leader for?

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

hmmm...lets see

meaningless preseason game vs WORLD SERIES game next door?

I understand you arent a baseball fan, but there is no comparison....the people in town were more interested in the WS...it would be the same in any city.

but hey...dont let the facts get in the way of YET ANOTHER rant from you on how bad Houston fans suck...mmmmok? :rolleyes:

9. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I've dogged on Houston fans before, and been dogged by other fans about Houston fans...but ya know, it's pre-season dude. It's absolutely meaningless. It's like spring training. It's just an exhibition game.

Houston's a young city - and I think it's only recently that their sports teams have begun to develop the kind of history that builds the broad based loyalty other cities enjoy.

10. macfan

R2K, I respect your opinions and the work you do for us. You'll never hear me talk badly about anybody. I have never said that Houston fans suck. I am simply saying that there are very few hardcore diehard Rocket fans. Most teams have a loyal base in addition to the fans who attend when the team is doing well. All I am saying is that Rockets fans don't have any strict followership and that's surprising for a big city like Houston.

I am not trying to put anybody down, I am just relaying the facts. I understand your perspective, because you are probably born and raised in Houston so you are showing your loyalty to the city. However, if you ask any unbiased person outside of Houston, the attention that the team gets is scarce.

I am not suggesting that a Houstonian should have attended the Rockets instead of the Astros. That would be ludicrous.

I am suggesting that true Rocket fans should be at the Rockets game. After all, Minute Maid doesn't fit 2 million people.

From watching the game, I didn't see any in the stands. That takes me back to the loyal game attending fans. There are very few for such a large city like Houston. It can't be compared with other big cities like LA (Clippers or Lakers), NY, Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland. It can't even be compared with much smaller cities like San Antonio, Sacramento, Charlotte, Milwuakee. It's not a criticism, it's just an observation.

If you don't trust my observation, look at the make up of this forum. I bet 50% of the regular posters on issues concerning the Rockets don't live in Houston.

11. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

Its ok that the Rockets lost to the hornets because its only preseason now if it happens during regular season then we have a problem. Tmac didn't play at all and Yao I think didn't even play the 4th period so our best 2 guys weren't out there during winning time and still only lost by 1 thats the sign of a deep team. Plus Swift only played 9 mins so take that into consideration to. Tmac should be ready for opening night I'd be really surprised if he didn't play. Alston,Anderson,Swift and Head all our big additions looked great in the preseason and will help us greatly during the real games. Can't wait for the real season to start. Go Rockets!!!

12. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Sounds like a criticism from here. You obviously weren't at game 6, so you have no room to talk about how loud it was. Everyone is tired of out of town fans b****ing about how loud the games seem to be on TV. Either fly to Htown and buy a ticket, or shut up about it.

13. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Bull. Ultimately it's JVG's responsibility to get a player the ball who's being paid the max by his boss. It's Yao's job to work hard for positioning and to shoot the ball, draw fouls and rebound.

Yao's mouth is not why he hasn't gotten the ball nearly as much as most of us would like, and I don't even think that's going to be a problem this year anyway with the p'n'r - which we will be running to death - when T-Mac's in the game or not.

14. macfan

So the Rockets techinicians don't do a good job of placing a microphone close to the court. I understand that. What about the empty seats? Is that an optical illusion that the camera doesn't pick up? The reason that it doesn't "seem" loud is because it is not. Excuse me for having an opinion.
    If you're so tired of other fans paying more attention to the Rockets, take a break.

You are disillusioned. It's not a knock, but the Rockets do have the least support of any relevant team in the NBA. I am sorry to disappoint you.

15. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

It usually isn't loud. That's not a secret. But don't bring up the playoff games, especially game 6, to illustrate that the fans are bad. There were no empty seats in those games. Now, in the preseason and regular season, the empty seats are in the lower bowl. That's not the fan's fault, it's an economic decision made by the rockets to sell to all the corporations, who many times don't bother to show up to the games. Maybe you should change your gripe to: 'there aren't enough rich as hell fans to fill the lower bowl to my satisfaction,' or possibly 'why do the rockets sell tickets to people who don't care?' You probably can't see it on tv, but the upper bowl is almost always packed to the brim.

I went to the game against the wizards and was surprised at the number of people there, considering it was a meaningless, ugly preseason game when the world series was going on at the same time.

16. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

You've just contradicted yourself because by definition if a Rockets fan was at the Astros game then you're saying they should have been at the Rockets game instead which is ludicrous as you say.

2ndly their seemss to be a presumption in your world that being a Rockets fan and an Astros fan are mutually exclusive which is simply ridiculous.

#156 Tango, Oct 30, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  17. macfan

They shouldn't be mutually exclusive but they are. Minute Maid didn't fit more people during the World Series than it did during the regular season. So ALL the people who attend Rocket games did not attend to watch the Astros. That's perfectly fine, it just made my point that there aren't any Rocket fans, there are Houston Sports fans only.

18. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

was somebody not out on richmond back in championship years?