1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Garner roast

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by russian88, Oct 26, 2005.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You would think we had a $200 million payroll and didn't make the playoffs. Some people are just never satisfied, I suppose. I swear, you guys can be so damn schizophrenic. Those same hunches you guys are bashing Garner for right now are what propelled us through the season. A couple of breaks and we're up 3-0.

We probably have the most underwhelming lineup in World Series history. It's ironic because coming into the postseason, our greatest strength was our starting pitching. Our bullpen was what got us into the World Series. In the World Series, both and our inability to hit are what have cost us. Instead of bashing our own guys, maybe the White Sox are the better team, is that so hard to accept? The series isn't even over yet. No matter how poorly we've played, no matter how this series ends up, I'm proud as hell of these guys for proving me wrong and even getting here.

Oh yeah, and Phil Garner rocks for cussing out Everett.

2. msn

msn Member

Lugo couldn't carry Everett's jock defensively, and his range does *not* compare to Everett's. Not even close. That said, Lugo wasn't bad defensively, he just ain't Adam Everett.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is unbelievable. Garner had made tough decision after tough decision and almost all of them have been the correct ones.

Let's start with only the post season. Game 4 against atl. when everyone thought Bagwell should pinch-hit instead of Ausmus, who hit the solo HR shot to tie the game. He also put in Chris Burke who managed to hit the game winning HR. Nice job Garner.

Against the Cardinals some people thought we should have had Pettit and Clemens pitch on 3 days rest and not pitch Backe. Guess what? Backe won his game. We tried pitching people on short rest last year, and it didn't work.

He also recognized Lamb's record against Morris, and inserted him into the line up, and he came up big. Garner didn't take out Lane despite the fact people were complaining about his at bats, and he hit the go ahead rbi in one of the cardinal games, Everett had teh same problem and saved games got hits at key times, etc.

It is true we didn't when game 2 against the Sox, but when people were surprised that Garner put in Viscaieno and he tied the game up and gave us a shot to win. Time and time again when people were surprised or questioning of his decisions they almost always paid off. Last night Garner made the right moves. We had countless walks, and Garner can't go out there and drive one of the base runners in. That is up to the team.

Garner has done an amazing job, and it is most definitely in large part to his decisions that we owe our appearance in the series.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think Garner did show up his players. It's not his job to express his emotions in public..it's his job to get his team ready to channel their emotions, talent and energies into wins. His stragetic calls have been questionable for a while. When they work it looks like he is a savant. When they lose three winnable games he looks like an idiot. I think he is somewhere in between and probably closer to being a really solid manager, if not a great one. I just think you need to bust their chops behind closed doors and put up a unified front. Otherwise, it looks like the whole team is in full-fledged panic mode. I am afraid they are.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What a piece of trash. (the article)

Although this is a side of Garner we've never seen before. I was happy as hell to hear him rip into the team.

6. droxford

droxford Member

Makes no sense to me.

I mean, is he insinuating that our batters tried to strike out? That they weren't really trying to hit the ball? That they just didn't care?

.... uhhh... this is the World Series, here. I think it's safe to say that every batter that steps up to the plate is doing his very best to hit a ball.

And yet Phil rips 'em anyway. He's about as bright as Alaska in winter.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, baseball players shouldn't be criticized for swinging at bad pitches? What about pitchers? If they hang one over the plate, should they be commended for doing their best to pitch the ball?

You're about as bright as Antarctica in the summer. :)

8. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i like what garner did...someone has to tell these guys they aren't getting the job done. you have to get some damn runs across the plate. he's done an excellent job with this team, better than i ever expected. he's a very good manager. everyone is just trying to find a scapegoat. if there is a scapegoat it is our owner or GM, or any of the higher ups not getting another bat for this lineup. we need another bat to go in that 4 spot and everyone knew that coming into the season, halfway through the season, going into the playoffs and going into the WS.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am with you on this one. Garner said what just about every observer of the game was thinking, including the Astro players. That was a pathetic hitting performance. The White Sox pitchers might be good, but they are not that good.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I like Phil, but Ozzie has been eating his lunch in game situations and keeping his players more focused. With the poor hitting the Astros should be doing more running (particularly versus the CWS catchers) and bunting--press the issue. Waiting for the big hit obviously hasn't worked.

As for the individual play, yes I do a Taveras squeeze with less than 2 strikes. He had crappy (non-contact) at-bats all day, there was nobody on 2nd and good speed on 3rd. It is very hard to stop a squeeze in that circumstance (forcing a tag at the plate), and if by chance they make a play at the plate, Berkman has a chance to win next at bat. Much higher % than a sac fly or base hit from Willy.

11. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Well Ausmus was a great hitter from the All star break on, and Bags had only seen a couple of pitches since his comeback. Its not like Garner made the most amazingly crazy decision ever. I think most managers in that situation do the same thing.

Well we didnt have Petit last year so the decision was harder last year. Not only that, we went into Houston 1-1. Not down 0-2 like last year. Again a decision most if not all managers make the same way.

No offense so did the Fox broadcasters. They along with probably every Cardinal and Astro coach new of Lambs success against Morris. Everett also threw at least one if not a few balls away this playoffs.

Viz ill give you was a good call based on luck, or intuition whatever you'll call it. Id rather him do the right thing though consistantly. You just made my case for me. Obviously Gardner couldnt go hit for the guys as their bats died. But if he didnt allow Roy to blow the lead, and yes he should of went to either Springer, Gallo, or heck even Wandy at that point maybe we get out of that inning ahead still. And if his team is stuggling to hit much less move runners then ISNT MANAGING putting your team into a situation to win the game despite your players. First and Third with one out. Best bunter on the team and Thrid baseman playing back. I dunno, you squeeze that mofo in best you can. Even if you miss the run you have First and Second with two outs and your two best hitters coming up.

j

I dont doubt that, nor Do I dislike Gardner. But he is more responsible for Us not taking Game two or Three then our hitters are. Not moving runners over is his fault.

12. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Blaming Garner for not squeezing against Hernandez is silly, downright bizarre.

13. droxford

droxford Member

Not called for.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wow, maybe you are.

Just a hint -------> :) means to lighten up.