1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Matt Maloney Back!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Nov 22, 1999.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

"Bryce Drew is a liability on defense, and all he can do is hit an open 3."

Sincerely,

Currently unemployed ex-Rocket, enjoying remainder of 7 year contract.

[​IMG]

2. popeye

popeye Member

Heh,heh,heh!

I thought we were through sh*****g all over him. That irishman is sitting at home, feet up, eating pretzels and drinking his beer.

LOL [​IMG]

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think we should cut Francis and bring Maloney back. Steve just hasn't demonstrated the expertise needed in being able to throw an entry pass into the post, and clearly doesn't know where he should be standing and watching after he makes the pass. Maloney was actually pretty good at this. We should at least bring Maloney in to teach this skill in practice. We're already paying him, might as well get some use out of him.

4. thacabbage

TheFreak -

At the time he was cut, I thought it was a terrible move, and I still do. I thought they should have given the guy a chance, give him some minutes, let him produce, let his trade value rise, and then ship his ass off somewhere. Instead, impatience was the name of the game, again, and they let him go for nothing, while still paying the remainder of his contract.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Better than Bryce Drew.

5. Bobby

Bobby Member

You're right, Cabbage, but I could have told you this a couple of months ago (in fact, I did). Matt at least brought some maturity and stability to the PG position as a back-up. Far better than Drew with his "deer in the headlights" look. He could at least play a little D, and is a far better shooter (although he made not have Drew's "potential" - that's a joke, son).

6. thacabbage

Yea, Bobby, I agreed with you at the time. Matt Maloney may have sucked and had absolutely zero talent in his body (exaggeration), but the man knew his role, his capabilities, and his limitations, and he played within them. He might have not hit too many shots, but he brought a stable ball-handler to the game to slow things down and provide a calming influence. Never tried to do too much.

7. H-Towner

H-Towner Member

"deer in the headlights" look

LOL

------------------
    "I'd like to buy a layup"
    -Walt Williams

8. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

The only equivalent of Matt Baloney I can think of is a remote controlled automatic ball feeder, no offense to you Matt. No defense too.

9. IWannaBeLikeDream

Wait a sec. You guys want Matt Maloney INSTEAD of Bryce Drew? ... I'd have to say it's pretty even but Drew is better.

------------------
    "Not NOW, Cato!!!"
    -Kevin Calabro, Sonics Commentator

10. Drew better????? Matt at least played OK D. Nothing stellar, still got beat by the best, but nothing like the abberation Drew puts forth.

Why do I keep hearing how Drew is a good shooter???? Has he proved this at ALL???? He shot .350 last year. Around the same at the 3 point line, primarily against 2nd and 3rd stringers. In preseason he shot around .350. So far this year he's shooting a dismal .370 with around a .280 3 point shot. He IS not a good shooter, never has been. He MAY become one, but I'd say looking at how things have unfolded so far, we all know where he stands for the future as far as shooting percentages go.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm sorry, I thought you guys were joking. I didn't think you could be serious about wanting a guy that other teams could have picked up for free, while the Rockets paid his contract, but still didn't want.