1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open Practice will be October 20 at 11:30 am

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Oct 15, 2005.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

You're getting paternity leave and your kid is 2 years old. Nice. :p

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I'll be there, if I'm late to work...I'll blame it on Dave. :D

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

That would be nice, huh?

We also have a five week old.

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

and ill write u up :p

muhahaha, feels good to have the power :)

5. Miguel

6. rocketsmetalspd

I didn't want to create a new post for this but does anyone know if the Rockets will be doing any promotions on October 28th - 29th? I will be in H-Town for the U2 concert on the 28th and was wondering if the Rockets will be doing any promtions for that weekend. Thanks.

7. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

Open Practice Details:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Open_Practice-153992-822.html

Houston Rockets Open Practice

* Doors open at 11:30 AM
    * Chalk talk with GM Carroll Dawson
    * Free Open Scrimmage
    * Free Lunch
    * Post Scrimmage Autographs and Q & A Session

Come to Toyota Center on Thursday to enjoy free lunch and watch the Rockets scrimmage. The Houston Rockets will hold their annual Open Practice on Thursday, October 20, 2005, at Toyota Center from 11:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. This will be a chance for fans to see the 2005-2006 Rockets team up close. Open Practice is free and open to the public.

Passes for post-scrimmage autographs and free throws will be distributed to fans while supplies last. Fans who do not receive a pass can stay after the scrimmage ends to hear live one-on-one interviews featuring fans’ questions.

Fans can participate in several concourse activities, including pop-a-shot basketball and the shoe-tie race. Others can have their faces painted, make a sign to cheer on their team, or submit a question to one of the players. Concession stands and the Rockets Team Shop will also be open.

The day will start with a chalk talk from Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson. Additionally, Rockets entertainers, including the Power Dancers; G-Force, the Rockets Step Team; and the Launch Crew will be on hand to entertain the crowd. Fans will also be selected to participate in on-court activities.

Rockets players will take the court at approximately 12:30 p.m. and play an intra-squad scrimmage complete with live commentary and scores. The scrimmage will be a 30-minute, running clock format. The post-practice activities will commence as soon as the scrimmage ends.

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Wondering how parking situations will be, is the garage going to be open for the public?

9. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I might stop by for a while and get a bite.

what are they serving for lunch???
    thanks

10. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Very good question... i'm going to be at school at UH/D and i was wondering if it would be a pretty long walk from one of the metro rail stations to the TC.. since i can keep my car parked at UH/D.. i plan to get there earrrrrrrrrrly and stay all day.. (until the security kicks me out) im very excited.

11. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

It's 5 long blocks. About 8 minutes.

12. Miguel

It's a 5-10 minute walk from the Rail to TC/MMP

I went to Live Sports Cafe the other day, and walked to MMP afterward. Distance between the Rail and Toyota Center is the exact same distance.

13. MrRolo

Anyone know which rail station i need to stop at for TC? Bell?? I'm a metrorail newb :(

14. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Yep, Bell.

15. lovethisgametoo

16. lil-vic

lil-vic Member

Just got back from the open practice, i woke up late so i got there around 12:30 right in time for the open scrimmage. i have to say the highlight of the game was T-Mac with his signature off the glass dunk! a good amount of people showed up and when that play happend, it got everybody cheering. The practice was great to see all the players going up againts each other, something you don't get a chance to witness. rockets need to have more of these events, with the free lunch included.

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

How did Luther Head look? What was the "power lunch"?

18. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

19. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I was there too, only for the scrimmage and Q&A session with Dennis Lindsey. It was only a 20 minute scrimmage, but here are my impressions.

McGrady had the one moment where he tossed it off the backboard to himself for a dunk. I got excited and took a picture of the ceiling :(

Yao looked pretty good out there. In person he looks really quick with the baseline spin this year.

Luther Head looks like a tremendous athlete. Someone tried to alley-oop it to him and he tried a one-handed jam but missed. He did a behind-the-back-dribble-to-split-the-double-team-like-McGrady move also. He looks like a streak shooter to me.

Jon Barry fell to the floor but someone passed it to him anyway. He was lying on his side and tossed a behind-the-back pass. I don't remember the outcome.

Chuck Hayes has a pretty accurate shot, but there's a hitch in it and he'll probably get blocked if he gets NBA minutes.

Langford looked pretty good out there. He's got good handles and a decent jump shot.

Ryan Bowen made a couple of deep jump shots. He didn't hesitate to take them either, I hope his accuracy carries through to the regular season.

Moochie looked decent too. Howard, Swift, Baxter, Anderson, Mutombo all played but I don't remember them doing much.

I'm gonna check my photos and see if there is anything worth putting up.

20. MrRolo

I just got back. It was nice, had courtside seats probably the first and last time in my life. i took pics and will be posting them later.. i got Yao and Chuck Hayes autograph. Team looks good...