1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Weightlifting question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr. Brightside, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Whenever I do the barbell curl, and put the barbell down, I get a shooting pain in my forearm.

I do not have the pain when I'm doing the actual barbell set, but only when I put the barbell down and release my hands.

I get this excruciating pain, but somehow I've learned to live with it. The pain is lessened somewhat if when I'm done with the set, I still hold onto the barbell tightly and then slowly let loose.

I've asked two doctors about this, both are family members, and they have no idea.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Sounds like you got what is known as "shin splints in the forearms" or "forearm splints". You are either doing too much weight or not doing the exercise properly. Do some other biceps exercise that won't put as much pressure as the exercise that is hurting your arms.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You might also have a some tendinitis in your forearm ~ turn your grip so you're holding the weight like a beer. Lift it up without turning your grip...

[​IMG]

You'll lose some of the isolation, but it will allow the tendinitis heal while you continue working out.

Also as MR mentioned you might just be lifting to much weight.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Maybe your hand is used to a different grip, like maybe a stroking motion instead of a lifting motion. :D

By the way, I know NOTHING about lifting weights. :(

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I agree with the shinsplints diagnosis. Switch to dumbell weights for about a month, and make sure you do a weight that isn't too heavy. Do Hammer Curls and Concentration Curls- you will get better definition that way anyway.

6. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Could you elaborate on what exactly a hammer curl and a concentration curl is?

7. Xerobull

I'll do even better, and link you to a site with an animated .gif of the exercises:

Hammer Curl

I don't think that this guy has the best Hammer Curl form. He should be doing less weight, IMO. But you get the idea.

Concentration Curl

One thing it doesn't mention is that you can spot yourself with the Concentration curl- once you hit the 'failure point' of the exercise, use your other hand to help the last few reps.

The most important thing about lifting weights is form. If you try to lift too much to look strong or tough, you will have bad form. Just do what you can to get to the 'failure point' after 10 or so reps.

You also want to stretch a bit before and after you work out. It will work wonders. When I do work out (and I haven't since my wife got pregnant about 8 months ago), I do a 'doorway hang' where I hold both sides of the door frame and lean forward to stretch my arms and chest. I do this throughout the day. I also hold a towel behind my back with both hands to do a similar stretch between reps at the gym.

Good luck- the hardest part about working out is just getting to the gym. After that, it's all easy.

8. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

Thanks, I do workout, havent heard of those two things so I thought I would see what they were all about

EDIT: So I just looked at the animated GIFS, and i actually do both those exercises, I just never new the proper name for them.

9. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Excellent advice. Go light on the weight until you are pain free.

I was at the gym last night and a guy was doing bench press, and somehow a plate fell off leading to the drop of the other side of the bar on the shoulder. He was lucky.

10. Manny Ramirez

Brightside,

I think you have gotten some good responses here, but definitely pay the most attention to Xerobull - good stuff you posted there, Xero. :)

That reminds me of 2 rules that ANYONE should adhere to when they work out:

1) Never do a bench press (barbell that is) without a spotter. If you think you can handle the weight and not need a spotter, it still is good to have someone else in the room, just in case you get tired or pull a muscle or whatever. Trust me, nothing is more embarrassing than being stuck underneath weights, regardless how HEAVY it is.

2) Leave your ego behind when you go into the weight room. I have seen it too many times - guys get their competitive juices flowing and try to do the same weight and exercises that more experienced lifters are doing. Talk about a recipe for disaster; just know your limitations and stick to it.

11. Xerobull

Awesome advice from Manny. Serious stuff that you should take to heart.

Ha ha, I've been stuck under a barbell myself, although it was at home, at 3 AM when I was drunk. I ended up rolling it down my body to get it off. NOT fun. Moral of the story: Don't drink and lift weights.

I work out at odd times, sometimes at the buttcrack of the morning when the gym is empty. In this case, I use the Smith Machine to spot myself. Go check it out- you just twist the bar a bit, and the hooks catch on one of the many pegs if your strength is giving out. Or just use the machine press- it's not as good, but any kind of workout is a good workout, in my book. Neither of these is a substitute for a good spot, though, so don't use them as an excuse for asking for a spot. I have the same respect for the experienced gym rat and the flabby guy who ask me for a spot.

Thanks for the Kudos, Manny. Glad I can contribute.

12. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

how many reps do you guys usually do for a set?

i try to do those 5reps x 5sets system, but usually its 6+reps with a slightly less weight for the first set, and 5 reps at my max for the remaining 4 sets.
    its boring, but its supposed to be better than those pyramid sets.

any thoughts?

13. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

More reps for definition, minimum 12 each set. Then the next time, less reps but add more weight for strength, 4-8 each set. I go with the pyramid.

If you're bored, change up the types of excercises. Bored of skull crushers, do some dips.

14. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

Varies, sometimes me and my buddy will do 8-6-4, the next week we will do 5-4-3-2-1, next 3-3-3, then eventually after a few weeks of those sets we will try an all out max to see where we are at and how much we have gotten stronger.

15. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

i have the exact same problem!

typically the bars for barbell curls (or preacher curls i guess) are arched a bit where you put your hands. i find that when i use the more arched barbells, i get this pain, but not when i use the flatter ones (sliiiightly arched). so try that and see if it works.

maybe i have tendinitis? :confused:

16. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Yeah it seems to me like a shin splint type of injury. You might want to ease up till the pain goes away and if it doesn't you should definetley see a doctor. If you continuosly try to work it out through the pain it could lead to stress fractures over time.

17. Manny Ramirez

As for me on reps and sets - usually 3 sets at 10 reps each with the weight increasing most of the time.

Bench press routine usually runs like this - warmup set of 135 X 10 times (sometimes 15), then followed by 10 reps of 185, and about 9 reps of 205 (it is hard for me to get 10 after doing the 185 set) and then burn out on 225 which will be anywhere from 5 to 7 reps. I have maxed out at 280 but my endurance is not too good (as evidenced by my performance on the 225 set). :(

18. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Since other's are fishing for advice, anyone have any ab routines they'd recommend? There's usually no method to what I do, just whatever strikes me that night...

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Sounds like you're lifting too much weight.

Try lowernig the weight until your arms don't hurt and then work your way back up.

20. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

funny thing about lifting weights is that you can perform it anyway you want and you'll still gain strength, but obviously there are more efficient/faster ways of gaining strength than some random excersize plan. If you want to gain strength as fast as possible do 4-6 reps in 3 sets for a target excersize (ie: hammer curls on one day then another day do 3 sets of dumbell curls) and also 2 sets of other variations of bicep workouts. So its 3 sets of a main excerise with 3 or 4 other excersizes in 2 sets each. Regarding the reps, if you can make a complete 6th rep you must increase the weight until you can't make a complete 6th rep. Almost all muscles can be strengthened with a max of only 6 reps with maximum weight, abs and some shoulder lifts (which require good muscle stamina) can be used up to a max of 10-12 reps before having to add weight. I found this method to be excellent and also very efficient with time as i could workout my arms abs and back within 45 minutes. In order for this method to work it must be intense with little rest in between excersizes (1 minute between sets)

Now that I think about it, this method wouldnt be good for the person who started this thread since he most likelly has tendonitis and it would be very painful as you have to lift very heavy amounts. But hopefully you can use this method for other muscles. :cool: