1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TSN CANADA] James Traded to Raptors for Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by randerson153, Oct 4, 2005.

1. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

which univeristy are you at?

2. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Member

3. notthefullquid

great post. And yeah, where was that Mike James D against the Mavs? Sterling point.

4. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Member

I like this trade alot. most people dont realize that a year ago when he played at Miami, he led the league in i believe 3 pt % or 3 ptrs made im not sure maybe someone can pull that up. Also, Mike james was on 790 during their sports flash and he does not like the trade and said he understands its a business and thats why he doesnt get attached to any one organization.

5. Nautic

Nautic Member

Is the retirement/buyout of Vin Baker and Charlie Ward (who stays with the Rox as an assistant to JVG) officially annouced yet? I haven't seen the news.

6. garthomps

garthomps Member

FYI - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafer_Alston (with links)

Rafer Alston
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Rafer 'Skip To My Lou' Alston (born July 24, 1976 in New York, New York) is currently a basketball player for the NBA's Houston Rockets. He grew up in New York City in Jamaica, Queens as a street basketball legend and has received most of his recognition for that aspect of his career. Alston was drafted after his junior season at Fresno State by the Milwaukee Bucks in the second round, 39th pick overall of the 1998 NBA Draft.

His nickname Skip To My Lou stemmed from his tenure with the North American street basketball tour, the And 1 Mix Tape Tour, and the ESPN TV show, Street Ball.

Following a recently temultous tenure with the Toronto Raptors, Alston was traded to the Houston Rockets for guard Mike James on October 4, 2005. Although Alston frequently was criticized for his attitude while in Toronto, it is believed that Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy conferred with his brother and Miami Heat coach Stan Van Gundy, who coached Alston during the 2003-2004 NBA season., about Alston's work ethic and attitude. Jeff Van Gundy's reputation for toughness and his ability to get the most out of players previously considered "trouble-makers" or "tempermental" (e.g. Tracy McGrady should allow Alston to turn a new page in his career.

Career transactions
    Played in the Continental Basketball Association with the Idaho Stampede.
    Signed by the Milwaukee Bucks as a free agent in 1999.
    Played in the NBA's developmental league for a year. He signed a 10-day contract to the Toronto Raptors then signed a contract for the remander of the season. (2002-2003 Season)
    Signed as a free agent with the Miami Heat for the 2003-2004 season.
    Signed as a free agent with the Toronto Raptors through the 2009-2010 season.
    Traded to the Houston Rockets on October 4, 2005, for point guard Mike James.

External links
    NBA Player Page
    Streetball Player Page
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafer_Alston"
    Categories: 1976 births | African American basketball players | Miami Heat players | Milwaukee Bucks players | Toronto Raptors players | Houston Rockets players

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Rafer Alston:

Ranks #11 in the NBA in Assists Per Game(6.4) Ranks #18 in the NBA in Steals Per Game(1.48)
    Ranks #19 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goals Made(139.0) Ranks #13 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goal Attempts(389.0)
    Ranks #11 in the NBA in Assists(514.0) Ranks #18 in the NBA in Steals(118.0)
    Ranks #19 in the NBA in Assists Per Turnover(3.02) Ranks #11 in the NBA in Assists Per 48 Minutes(9.1)

Pretty impressive!

8. RAYRAY

RAYRAY Member

Mikes James beat the And1 team this summer

9. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

I heard on 610 Les say Yao was in the best shape with only 8% body fat ..I think Yao will be running just a little behind on all the fast breaks this yr just to clean up anything that might not go down ..

Skip going to be a perfect fit here ;)

10. harumph

harumph Member

That's cause he would've had to play behind SF3 when he wanted a starting spot. I think that's a totally acceptable reason for snubbing us then.

I like this trade. We get a playmaker who controls & looks after the ball & knows how to play with a dominant big man from his career year with Shaq. It also covers the questions raised by Sura's knee operations.

Another great move by CD

11. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Member

didnt rafer have alot of problems with vince carter which is tmacs cousin?

12. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Member

i think this is a good trade for us...jvg always wanted a true pg who can pass...and hes a decent 3pt shooter too, his d should be decent under jvg...everyone keeps saying we needed mike james cuz of his shooting and d...but to me he seems like he takes too many crazy shots, and where was his defense when we were getting lit up and had no answer to jason terry and devin harris?

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Member

man! If this true then the Rockets will be a real contender. Alston had 14.2 PTS and with 6.4 Asst. last year with the RAPTORS. How can you go wrong.

CD! You are the MAN!!!!!!!! ;)

14. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

This is a great trade, fabulous, and was a no-brainer. We got a steal of a deal.

Now our team is pretty solid, with the only real weakness at the 2 or the 3 - whichever position T-mac is not playing. I don't have much optimism about DA, but if he does hold up, then we should be ok.

I'd love to see a back-up small forward and another off-guard added, as that would make this team scary. Right now, they are set to give the Spurs a run for their money in the second round - this will definitely be a year of high expectations now.

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I was not a member of the Mike James fan club. What he did well was not, by and large, what this team needed most. Alston's talents are what we need, if he sticks to them and doesn't put us through another episode of Rafer Madness. I didn't realize he was such a chucker, though. That's exactly what I won't miss about James, and if we get the same thing in a long-term contract from Alston, I'll be pissed.

We needed somebody to orchestrate and create. If this guy does it, we've just acquired the final piece. If not, it looks to me like we can move his contract without much trouble.

16. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Exactly. What pg wouldn't want to be the guy that unleashed Yao and helped Stro really make a name for himself? Or play with T-Mac and hand him the ball and say "you nasty".

And he just got paroled from Toronto. If this isn't pg heaven I can't imagine what would be.

17. max14

max14 Member

LOL I think that's going to be a big problem..... :eek:

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

Seriously, the guy got out of purgatory (a.k.a toronto) and now he has a chance to play for one of the top teams in the league.

Playing in a winning system really can help tame the beast.

19. pariah

pariah Member

Yeah, he did. But then again, T-Mac had problems with vince carter, who is T-Mac's cousin.

It's all good.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Really?
    If he didn't want to play behind SF3 . .
    what will happen when Sura is back to full strength?

I think Sura will probably have to accept the pine for a while

Rocket River