1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Austin to Houston] When would be a good time to go back?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Sep 23, 2005.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Here in Austin presently. Unfortunately, our room is only good through tomorrow at noon. So we can either head back to Houston tomorrow after lunch or, stay with my brother in law here in Austin. Problem is, he has a small apartment, and it would be my wife, 2 year old, 1 dog, 2 cats, my BIL and myself.

Im thinking that Rita is heading so far east of Houston, that maybe it would be safe to head back after lunch tomorrow? I know well hit some rain and wind but wed probably be ok.

What do you guys think?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

may want to avoid the rush. . .
    but
    we may still be in the midst of rain and wind

Rocket River

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Considering we don't know if she's going to stall or move over, I'd wait to start my run back.

4. codell

well, i obviously will check the status around noon tomorrow ....im thinking by then, well know how far east its going to head?

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I think just about everyone who has left town is in a "crowded" situation... you just have to make the best of it. I am at an Aunt's house in Texarkana and there are 12 of us, 5 dogs, 2 cats and a bearded dragon... luckily she has a large house but it is still tough to get your space. I am in IT and have a lot of work to do remotely, and it is tough to do with so many people around but I am thankfully that I have a family this size that cares, and that I have a nice roof over my head. When you think it's tough just remember those people that were on the road stranded in traffic for 24+ hours and being a little crowded in an AC'd house, with satellite and DSL isn't so bad after all.

6. drapg

drapg Member

we should start a thread for those of us sticking around in Houston to give updates (if we have power) after the storm passes through.

we can post our location in houston and the amount of flooding, damage, etc., so that people who want to come back can have an understanding of what to expect

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Personally, I evacuated Houston for Austin 8 years ago and still haven't gone back. :) Seriously though, I would strongly advise you to stick around Austin for another day at least until the worst is over. Granted, your BIL might be slightly inconvenienced, but it's just not a good idea to be on the road.

Stay in Austin. Eat some BBQ at the County Line, check out Mount Bonnell, and enjoy your stay.

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

If your hotel room is the big concern you could always look online to see how far you'd have to go to get another hotel...

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

basically every hotel in Central, Northern and Eastern Texas are full.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

codell...go hole up with Dak after checking out. :D

You probably could come back SAt tho...its looking much better for your side of town.

11. codell

Yeah it does. I figure my instint enables us to beat everyone out of town and my instinct should enable us to beat everyone back to town.

Plus, being an insurance appraiser, I need to get back to town ASAP. Can't miss out on this much needed business.

Im going to leave Austin about 2 tomorrow.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yep....lots of business for you out here on the far east side I would imagine.

good luck...and drive safe bud...:)

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Just my opinion, but, I don't think that's a wise decision. Sunday at 2 maybe, but tomorrow? There is a ton of rain on the way. Most of the damage will be done by Flooding, which will occur Sunday and Monday.

14. codell

290 won't be flooding though.

15. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

enjoy your weekend out of town

although we are still waiting for rain

16. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

It flooded during Allison. codell, I used to live right off 290 (Antoine) and it never used to flood. With all the buildup of freeways and stripmalls it floods all the time. I realize you are farther out, Cy-Fair if I remember correctly, but why chance it? This is a slow moving storm and there will be lots of flooding.

17. codell

Actually, Ill only be on 290 till Hempstead and then onto 1488 into Magnolia.

We are taking off so late, well know for sure how much rain and flooding is going on out there (my parents and brother both live out past Cypress).

Anyway ..not making a final decision till noon tomorrow ...well see what happens.

18. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

You can actually leave Austin now ... and be back by 1am right before the storm hits. (which probably is just going to be a thunder storm)

19. Luckyazn

You can actually leave Austin now ... and be back by 1am right before the storm hits. (which probably is just going to be a thunder storm anyway)

20. Luckyazn

You can actually leave Austin now ... and be back by 1am right before the storm hits. (which probably is just going to be a thunder storm anyway)