1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Storm Riders List

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Sep 21, 2005.

1. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Well I evac'd to conroe but it looks like the eye will be passing near us anyway now that it changed, so i guess you can add me to the "riding it out list" i left houston at 8pm and got to conroe at 6am this morning, still have half a tank left to make it back to houston hopefully, go honda :D

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Already here in Austin at a hotel, booked through Sunday. Went to Wal-Mart his morning and got a mini fridge and a few groceries to last us till then.

Feels like we are caming.

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

well.....combine the freeways being packed with the shift towards the east....we are staying.

I boarded the windows...and then spent the morning helping my neighbor board up his...and we are all gonna ride it out...he has two generators and we have plenty of food and water and batteries and candles and tequila...

We are set.

4. drapg

drapg Member

Well, my sister had joined me in my house to ride this thing out.

We both want to go running. I went to Memorial Park at 8am this morning, and there were like 5 of us running.

We're gonna go there again at 6pm.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Currently I am riding this thing out... I have an alternate plan to head to Victoria, but gas is not available down there. My alternate, alternate plan was to go 59 South to Victoria then head north to Austin. But with gas not available in Victoria, I am staying put. My original plan was to head to Austin from Houston, but traffic getting out of Houston, as you know, is RIDICULOUS. I cannot sit on the freeway for HOURS just to go a few miles. If I stay in place, I have a friend very close by (walking distance) with a condo that is concrete and sandwiched between other units. I would feel safer there than in my 2nd story, wood, garage type apartment. The current plan is to shelter in place for now.

Check my blog and moblog for updates...

#85 rockHEAD, Sep 22, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  6. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

I will riding this thing out Downtown at St. Joseph Hospital

7. myco

myco Contributing Member

Staying in Sugar Land. I think we should be good here.

8. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

My house is in Sugar Land too. From the looks of it, the eye is going to be close. Best of luck to you.

9. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

So are you leaving or staying?

10. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I'm in Dallas right now for college, but most of my friends from high school are staying in Sugar Land.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Now I'm not so sure... these latest tracks aren't good for Beaumont at all. But there is also hope this thing could go to Cameron and put us on the west side, in which case I'll definitely ride it out. It depends on the next few hours. But I've already gone ahead and booked a hotel in Corpus Christi, so if things don't change, I'm out.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How are you going to get to Corpus. KPRC just had shots of 59 South, call it Bissonet to Rosenberg...it's as bad a parking lot as the others, which could make it worse as it isn't really an official evacuation route and may be somewhat ignored. I was going to head that way towards the Corpus area, but that was only because I wasn't willing to stomach the traffic, heat and potential loss of gas in going to Austin. Don't know if 59 South will be any better now. I may be on the Storm Riders List.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Well, my hope is that it's better tomorrow. My reservation is for Friday and not tonight. I'm just hoping and praying enough people try to leave today that it's better off early tomorrow morning on 59. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I'll do.

(My slight reason for optimism is Katrina. I remember Jim Cantore from TWC in Gulfport commenting on how the cars on I-10 in southern Mississippi weren't even moving and how he feared they would be stuck when the storm made landfall. He commented later on that eventually it cleared out and that wasn't the case. Hopefully the same will be true here tomorrow.)

14. droxford

droxford Member

Add me to the list.

We're riding this one out.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

That's strange. Here's the latest shot of SW Freeway @ Beechnut, and it looks pretty clear. Are people starting to take 59S to Victoria?

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Hmmm....you're right. looks empty at the beltway, too. but i swear i saw it straight from a helicopter on the tv and it was realy ugly.

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Still riding it out in West Houston. I now have 12 people at my house, including my sister in law that could give birth any day, my 3 year old niece, and my 82 year old grandmother. Besides me and my wife, all others are family members that were attempting to leave town. The mood is optimistic here as predictions inch east. We're still preparing for some rough times, but hopefully we are spared the worst. Put some boards on the windows to be safe.

18. lpbman

lpbman Member

Just west of Lake Charles Louisiana, gonna ride it out in the house I built with my bare hands for just such an occasion... hope it/ I make it

19. leehoang

leehoang Member

I'm riding it out.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Apu: Stand behind the flaming garbage cans. We'll be letting you into the store, seventy people at a time.
    Kirk: Oh, let's just beat him up and take his stuff!
    Apu: No no no, do not listen to that man. Remain calm. You will all have a chance to be gouged.