1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about DVDs?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DUDE, May 16, 2001.

1. DUDE

DUDE Member

I know that CDs can hold 650MB or 700MB.
    What can a DVD hold?

I am just wondering since it can hold SOO much more than a CD, do you think that in the near future instead of going to a music store to buy the latest Aerosmith CD, you can go and buy the ENTIRE Aerosmith Catalog on DVD (Just music)?
    (I just used Aerosmith as an example of a group with LOADS of older albums, and a new one that just hit the shelves recently.)

[This message has been edited by DUDE (edited May 16, 2001).]

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dude,

There are various DVD formats, but they range up to about 12 and 15 gigs in terms of holding data. The most prevalent ones can/will hold about 4-8 gigs.

Your idea of buying the entire catalog may work, but umm... I'm thinking that'll be one expensive DVD.

------------------
    NBA Draft Lottery is May 20th. Start praying now.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You can put around 12-15 CDs on one CD if you convert the music to MP3 format. I think you will find more CD players capable of playing MP3s in the very near future at a reasonable cost. Portable ones are already below $100.00. You lose some quality but for non-serious audiophiles, the sound is just fine.

------------------

4. DUDE

DUDE Member

Thanks guys. One more question, though... What is the difference, if there is any, between a DVD and a VCD?

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Basically a VCD is video that you put on a CD. The quality is clearly not as good as that of a DVD. Some DVD players can play VCDs (neither of mine can). Ther is also software out there that will create VCDs.

------------------

6. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

I drool over the prospect of the ENTIRE Simpsons episode catalog being released on DVD. I figure it'll never happen: they can make more money selling the syndication rights. I've gotta check every 5:30 and 6:30 Simpsons broadcast trying to find the 40 episodes I haven't taped. My eyes are worth more to advertisers than any price I'd ever pay for a DVD set.

What would you pay for the entire Simpsons catalog on DVD? I'd pay $200 without batting an eye.

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

Simpsons DVDs to Arrive This Fall
    By Jouni Paakkinen (jouni@snpp.com) - May 5, 2001
    For years, Simpsons fans have yearned for a comprehensive collection of episodes in high-resolution, digital format. That dream nearly came true in early 1998, when 20th Century Fox Home Video and Gracie Films began a collaborative effort to produce laserdisc releases of the series.
    Plans initially called for a season 1 boxed set, complete with ancillary materials and “directors' commentary”-style audio tracks featuring the show's key producers and creator. When Chatsworth, California-based Image Entertainment was charged with remastering the series' first 13 episodes for the release, there seemed to be little doubt that the show was indeed about to make its debut in the world of digital video. But following the tweaked master tapes' return to Fox, no laserdiscs ever materialized, and 20th Home eventually confirmed without explanation that the project had been postponed indefinitely.
    The good news is that Fox is now working to assemble a similar product in the wildly more popular DVD format, with plans for multiple region releases throughout the world. So far, The Simpsons Archive has confirmed with 20th Century Fox Home Video that the DVDs will be, as rumored, issued in seasonal boxed sets, featuring every episode from their respective seasons. If all goes according to plan, successive seasonal boxed sets will be released on a periodic basis thereafter, a la Fox's DVD editions of The X-Files.
    What about ancillary materials? No official word on that yet. However, according to the BBFC database, the first boxed set will feature a 1m:45s easter egg, over 8 minutes of never-before-seen outtakes (of which 3m:43s reportedly is to involve Albert Brooks' past involvement with the series), a 1m:49s excerpt from an unknown episode's “animatic” pencil animation test, the first Simpsons interstitial broadcast April 19, 1987 on Fox's “The Tracey Ullman Show,” and a mystery item entitled “America's First Family” (4m:48s). Fox demonstrated its thirst for fan feedback concerning such bonus contents earlier this year with an official ePoll.com questionnaire.
    While no official estimates for the first boxed set's release date have materialized, a suggested date of September 2001 has been quoted by The R2 Project, backed up by The Digital Bits' own report of a likely third quarter 2001 retail date. Meanwhile, The Simpsons Archive has verified with the Los Angeles-based production house charged with creating multi-language subtitles for the DVDs that general production of the first boxed set is now underway.
    Official news concerning the DVDs will be added as it becomes available. In the meantime, keep an eye on our Newsbites column for future DVD rumors.

http://www.snpp.com/news.html#dvd

------------------

8. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Thanks for the link outlaw, that's great news.

You can already buy all of seasons 1 and 2 from amazon.co.uk on VHS. But I have to deal with PAL/NTSC.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing seasons 1 and 2 on DVD at amazon.co.uk , but I can't find them anymore.

Easier to get a multi-region DVD than to deal with PAL/NTSC on VHS...

[This message has been edited by jamcracker (edited May 17, 2001).]

9. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

*ahem* gnutella *ahem*