1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mar1juana Products

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, May 14, 2001.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I've seen shops selling like Rope, Clothes etc?
    From my understanding Hemp Paper is as good
    if not better than regular paper and not as
    expensive [since hemp grows like a weed *grin*
    and not taking hundreds of years like trees]

Why do we not explore this further?
    what lobby is behind preventing hemp products
    from becoming wide spread. I mean why cut trees
    when u can cut hemp?

Rocket River

------------------

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The fire department. They probably don't want their people going in to fight fires & getting a buzz. [​IMG]

------------------

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The free market is the lobby preventing the development of hemp products. In addition, hemp products tend to be marketed in less mainstream environments because that fits their image better...and increases the desire of people who want to buy such alternative products...people who wouldn't dare shop in mainstream stores. But mostly there is a stigma associated with hemp that many folks are just not interested in being associated with.

If mar1juana weren't illegal, hemp products wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are.

------------------

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You really think that the only reason most people use hemp products is because of the fact that mar1juana is illegal? You don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it is MUCH safer for the environment?

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

5. haven

haven Member

I use a hemp sack for my groceries because it's better for the environment, and that's not because I just like pot. I'm one of those people who tried it, didn't like it, but still thinks the stigma (legal and social) against it is stupid.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The hemp in these products does not have the
    'drug' in it. You smoke them you won't get high.

Rocket River

------------------

7. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Good for the environment, this is true, although in my almost 20 years of smokin' wacky weed(I no longer do it) I NEVER EVER met any person who is supposedly Pro Hemp and DOESN'T smoke weed. Whats the connection here? I believe its legal weed for potheads, yes. The mere fact that its a cousin of the weed that gets you high is why people wear it etc...I think all these kids wearing and using hemp in this or that fashion are totally missing the point (ya know the kid wearing the fake string of weed leafs around his neck at the festivals? Yeah, I'm sure its for the environment [​IMG].) This stigma hemp has is simply because it looks like and is closely related to the weed we..er, you smoke. It is displayed as some sort of "in your face you can't arrest me type of thing". I think everyone is misinformed as are the people against it.
    BTW, I had some Hemp Adidas. They no longer make them now [​IMG]

------------------
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever."

[This message has been edited by mr_oily (edited May 14, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by mr_oily (edited May 14, 2001).]

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I don't smoke pot, and I'm pro hemp. I doubt rm95 smokes pot (I don't mean to speak for you rm95) and I would assume that he advocates the usage of hemp paper, etc.

At the last hemp rally I went to, though, there were nothing but heads. While I'm for the legalization of mar1juana, I have to say as an evironmentalist that these people aren't helping their cause very much. When you're arguing w/ someone, it doesn't do your cause much justice when you are stoned or when your opponent can write you off b/c of your pot consumption.

It may be a dumb bias that conservatives have, but what's more important? The environment or a pro-hemp advocate's right to smoke pot?

------------------
    women love me, fish fear me.

9. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I too don't smoke pot yet am pro hemp.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

10. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

11. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

I'm betting Achebe's fascist homeowners association made him give up the habit.

Jebediah: People, our search is over! On this site we shall build a new town where we can worship freely, govern justly, and grow vast fields of hemp for making rope and blankets.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Hemp is in the same plant family as mar1juana - cannibas - which is why growing it is banned. The amount of DHT in hemp (the psychoactive chemical found in mar1juana and all cannibas plants) is so small that it has almost no effect on the person attempting to smoke it. I've posted this quote before but I think it is worth repeating because it is so hilarious...

"To get high from hemp, you'd have to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." A British hemp farmer responding to a question from a CBS News reporter.

The fact is that hemp can make TONS of products and, most importantly, it is renewable meaning it doesn't require pesticides and doesn't leave the land bare. All you do is plow it under and re-seed.

One suggestion that has come up fairly often is from tobacco growers who want to change from tobacco to hemp in an effort to move away from a floundering tobacco industry. To me, this is an incredibly sensible move. The soil in places like South Carolina is perfect even though hemp is a droubt resistant plant and could grow just about anywhere.

It is really a miracle plant. As for the stigma surrounding it, that is based primarily on ignorance of what hemp is. Banning an entire family of plants is ridiculous. There are plenty of plants that you can legally grow in your garden that have poisonous and psychoactive properties. Some are far more dangerous than even mar1juana.

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Have both a Hemp jumper and Hemp jeans and they are great.

Our state government have been thinking of getting in Hemp forrests for a while.

And remember the Hemp used for clothing, fabircs and paper are genetically modified to have no THC.

Smeg

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have dabbled in the wacky weed in the past...like breakfast.

Just kidding.

I used to smoke it very occasionally, but my first semester in college I gave two speeches and wrote at least two papers on the beneficial aspects of hemp.

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin