1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NVE a Spur

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Biggienaz786, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Biggienaz786

Biggienaz786 Member

didn't see this posted anywhere..

i just started checking out their website [www.spursreport.com], and i saw this tidbit.. i'm registering for their forums now, will post the story on here later..

but yeah - nick the quick is a spur now..

2. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Surprised to hear this...I guess he might get a ring after all.
    Hmm...if this in any way increased our chances to get Brent Barry...that would be nice...

4. dumbholly

dumbholly Member

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Now they finally got someone on that team with a nutsack besides Horry

6. jsuspect

jsuspect Member

So sorry for the Spurs. They get a guard that shoots a low percentage and doesn't play defense. Add that to a questionable desire to play basketball (remember...he was thinking about retiring)

below is from insidehoops.com

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that the team has signed veteran guard Nick Van Exel. Per team policy the terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“We are very happy to have Nick as a part of our team,” said Head Coach Gregg Popovich. “His leadership and skills will be assets at both ends of the floor.”

The 6-1 Van Exel has appeared in 815 regular season games averaging 15.1 points, 3.0 rebounds and 6.9 assists. For his career Van Exel has shot .405 from the field and .357 from behind the arc. His 1,473 three-point field goals made ranks him fifth all-time in the NBA and first among active players. Van Exel has also appeared in 64 postseason contests averaging 15.7 points and 5.1 assists in 35.3 minutes per game.

Selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the 37th pick in the 1993 NBA Draft, the Kenosha, Wisconsin native has also suited up for the Denver Nuggets, Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors and Portland Trail Blazers. The 1998 Western Conference All-Star averaged 11.1 points, 3.0 rebounds and 4.3 assists in 53 contests for the Trail Blazers during the 2004-05 season.

Van Exel had a stellar college career at the University of Cincinnati where he averaged 18.3 points, 4.5 assists and 1.8 steals per game in leading the Bearcats to the Elite Eight round of the NCAA tournament as a senior. The third team All-America selection was also a finalist for the John Wooden Award.

7. spursincharge

spursincharge New Member

Why be sorry for the Spurs?

They just won the title 3 times in 7 years, they made Glenn Robinson play a little defense, Nick Van Exel will only be called on for 10 minutes a game tops, and ohh yeah..he's got a Clutch reputation and will be fresh come playoff time.

But yeah feel sorry for my team who is predicted to repeat.

:confused:

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

How much do you pay NVE? Is he going to back up Parker? Does it mean you guys drop out of race for Finley?

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't see how, considering that the next 10 titles are all headed to Houston. ;)

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

According to the ESPN article they are still in the Hunt for Finley even though they signed NVE

11. striker

striker Member

Popovich said signing Finley and NVE are unrelated and not mutually exclusive. He did say he expected Finley to sign with the Suns though. Said if Finley signed with someone other than the Spurs the Spurs would make Devin Brown their top target, they hold Brown's rights. If Finley signed with SA they wouldn't resign Brown.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

They must have a lot of concerns about Udriah (sp?) being a real player. A good signing if for the min in a 1 year deal--what I would have offered pre DA from the Rocekts--but a bad signing if for anything more (2 or more year commitment, more than the min).

13. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

They do have some concerns about Beno. He had some good games but in the playoffs he was very jittery and his ball handling made Pop nervous. All in all, I think Beno could still be in their long terms plans. One thing is for sure: If they keep all four PGs, either Beno, NVE or Brent Barry will be nothing more than a practice player.

Rest assured NVE will adapt to the Spurs way or Pop will send him packing. If he refuses to hustle on defense this will be a short marriage. Pop is as authoritarian as they come in the NBA. Maybe next year he will mellow a little bit and not be wound so tight. Sometimes I think he's going to burst a vein in his head.

14. Man

Man Contributing Member

Udrich is okay. NVE is better.
    I don't know but I can't wait for this season. Hopefully it'll be some good competition goin on between the Texas Trio.

15. foodworld

foodworld Member

Udrih was probably the best rookie in the Western Conference last year.

But maybe they're trying to package him with Rasho to get out of the latter's contract.

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Mark Cuban denied on TV that there was any accelerated payout deal with Finley so Finley gets a 5 mill payout over the next 10 years to get his 51m remaining on his contract. I think Pop is wrong, he makes a financial decision and goes to Miami to get the MLE. Would hate to see him go to Phoenix, he would salvage the JJ fiasco for them and god forbid the Spurs, they would be out of this world with him. I would bet since Pop said the Finley deal is mutually exclusive to the NVE deal then NVE signed a 2 year deal for the vet minimum, the Spurs need to keep the half of the MLE they have left to have a chance at Finley.

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Dear. God. Spurs. Are. So. Good. It.... DISGUSTS ME!

I don't even live in Houston, and don't have particular hate for the Spurs, but come on now... their roster is just ridiculous. If they got Finley on top of it I wouldn't exactly be doubting who wins the big one for the next few years, barring injuries.

18. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

Spurs are by far the best team in the league at this point.

Best PF in Duncan.
    Best defensive stopper in Bowen.
    Best three guard rotation with Manu, Parker and NVE.

Wow...

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont know if its a good signning because i think NVE has lost his potential, but he can contribute a little, I think he is (right now, not before) the same type of player as spreewell (they already passed they prime but they can help a little).

And sorry for bringing back spreewell to the talk. :D

20. munco

munco Member

this is a very good pick up for them. they don't need the guy to come in and score 20 a night, but he's certainly capable of putting up numbers on occassion and the guy has always been clutch. he's lost a step but he's still very dangerous because of his ability to get hot.