1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Exact Skills Does DA Bring Us?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apostolic3, Aug 21, 2005.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Guys, educate me on DA. Tell me all about him and what he can do. Specifically what I want to know: Defensive ability and intensity, supposed PG skills, basketball IQ, 3pt shooting and passing ability (feeding the post & driving-dishing).

DA is one guy I just don't have a solid grasp of. For this thread please, let's leave out his effect on the lockerroom chemistry. Some say he complains and pouts and so forth. If you don't mind, let's just focus on basketball skills in this thread. Thanks.

2. kbourda

kbourda Member

I think he's a poor man's T-Mac. He has an all around game. Great FT shooter. Can create his own shot. Good defender.

3. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

DA a poor mans T-mac? This poor man must makes the people living under 59 look wealthy.

4. Asian Sensation

I've got to see DA quite a bit since I'm from Portland. Anyways, to the point all I can say is that DA is a very solid player. Nothing he does is outstanding but it works and he's very smooth in terms of a Ray Allen(esque) type. By that I don't mean he's a superb shooter or is a superstar by any means but he has a knack for playing the game meaning he has a high basketball IQ and most importantly he plays under control and doesn't try to force things.

Anderson as far as 3 point shooting I'd say its above average and his defense is alright and I think his intensity can be better under JVG. The only thing im skeptical about is his PG skills (didn't see too much) because he really didn't have to worry about that much in P-town with Damon running the show.

And to put an end to his chemistary and lockeroom presence and all that DA caused no problems at all and was well liked in the city but the last 2 years the Blazers as a whole have been disastrous and it was just a situation he (DA) had to get out of. I think he will fit in perfectly. My biggest concern is not his attitude or pouting or any of that.... it's is health and ability to stay healthy. The biggest flaw in my oppinion of DA is that he's fragile... he's always seems to get hurt easily whether its a back a knee an elbow what have you. I hope he can stay healthy because if he does he's a nice piece to the puzzle.

Final note.... DA is clutch in close, end-game situations. He's not afraid to take the final shot and he will hit.

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

he's a real shooting guard, with a shooting guards body and a shooting guards game... this a YOUNG althletic Jon Berry - with hops

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I was not in favor of this deal, BUT, I hope this kills any possiblity of Spreewell coming here. That in itself may be worth it.

My question about Anderson is not about his skills, but about his health primarily. I heard that his knees were shot. True or not? Supposedly he missed a good bit of playing time at Portland with injuries. True or not? He certainly HAD skills, those were on display in SA. He is not a great shooter, but has a relatively high three point percentage. Has size, has been a good defender, etc. His health is the key.

7. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

well, he provide the size and speed our backcourt lacked in that series against Mavs. He is a good slasher and he can dunk the ball (none of our current guards can do nowadays).

8. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

People are expecting too much from LLE, aren't they? it is not like we are running out roster spot. We can always cut Ward.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

He is not a dead eye like Job Barry. He is an average shooter, though he had a good 3 % last year (like 38%).

I think at this point in his career he is most similar to Sura. DA isn't the athlete he once was by any stretch. Like Sura however, he can play SG, PG and even some SF, and does a lot of things OK. I would say Sura is a little stronger and fiestyer, and DA is a little (but not that much) better natural shooter/scorer, neither one at this point in their career are quick laterally for an NBA guard.

I am not sure DA will or should start--I think overall he is about equal to Sura, Wesley and James--all with some strengths and weaknesses. I lean towards sticking with Sura and DW with DA, MJ and Deke coming in pretty quick. Still DA he gives as another solid, fairly tall, and versital vet guard. I think DA and Sura will back-up Tmac (Sura more defensively and on the boards, DA in the offense) far more effectively than Bowen or anyone last year, and this will have a major positive effect by keeping Tmac fresh and making us more productive than previously when Tmac sits.

So I think we should have modest expectations for DA, but he will really help. He should get 24-28MPG, whether starting or not, and allows us to play different combinations. Also, we are in much better shape to sustain an injury to any one of our vet smalls (except Tmac) and hardly miss a beat. This is an excellent move, I honestly don't want to see any major changes at this point unless someone offers something too good to be true. I'd be ready to start the 05 playoffs tomoroow with this team.

#9 Desert Scar, Aug 22, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  10. lalala902102001

One thing I like about DA is that he can actually play point (I believe he actually played exclusively at PG for 10+ game when Damon went down in Portland). He's an above-average ball-handler and distributes the ball well. Overall he's a just very versatile player and that's probably his best attribute at this point of his career. A few years DA used to be a great slasher. He could get by his man and get to the basket whenever he wanted. Not any more. He has lost more than a step due to injuries and age. He could still attack the basket but he had some problems finishing when I saw him play last year.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't like that our two biggest offseason acquisitions have health concerns. But I suppose you take what you can get.

12. funky

funky Member

exactly, anytime you load someone like DA with LLE, it is a steal. DA is definitely a low-risk and solid addition.

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

He'll bring wealth of experience, defense and is a good slasher. also once the season starts, you'll notice how good he is without the ball. he knows where to position himself for easy points. he is gonna win over the Rocket fans in no time. Mark my words.

14. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

I've never really studied him playing, but I invision him being like what Jim Jackson was to this team. Is that a correct comparison, or do you think he will be better or worse?

15. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

i don't know much about him either, but i'm sitting on back-to-back chamionships with him and stromile on nba 25k.

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Jim Jackson?... His probaly a better Ball handler then Jimmy, also more atheletic. Jimmy was a better rebounder and probaly better defender. I cant see DA plaing much SF here. i see him bringing the ballup and playing heavy minutes at the both Guard Spots.

17. rvpals

rvpals Member

Da will be great for the Rockets if he's healthy.

He's athletic, he can shoot, create for himself, or finish on the break. He has solid PG skills, good ball handler. Nice guy with great attitude that can only help our chemistry.

18. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One big thing DA can do is feed the post.

IF Tmac and Yao are strong side, you have Swift, DA, and Sura/James on the other. Sura/James are not good at feeding the post (Yao/Swift or Deke/Howard). DA gets the ball in there. He can also function with brains if the ball comes back.

On defense, he's another guy that will understand help. We can pack it in down low without fouling Yao out because we will have enough depth to chase guards around screens, and jab at the ball handler, without releasing. We can send waves of fresh guys to shadow the opponent.

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

AMEN to that! :D

20. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

This is exciting. Late in tight games, we need another option besides just the PnR. If DA earns playing time with the game on the line and can feed the post, we could be hard to stop.

Three more specific 1/2 court offense questions about DA:
    Does he penetrate and attack the basket much at this point in his career?
    Can he do decent PnRs with Yao or Swift?
    Will his 1/2 court points come mainly from jump shots?

From the replies so far, it's almost all positive. I want some realists to chime in and point out weaknesses in DA's game besides injuries and "moodiness". For just a minute, put down the initial warm and fuzzies we all feel and try to be a little critical.