1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush vows to protect Taiwan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RunninRaven, Apr 25, 2001.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love it when Democrats b**** and b**** about not stereotyping races or anything else non-PC, but have no problem labeling and stereotyping Republicans.

------------------
    Watch out for gay Limbo Dancers.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I just think it's funny that someone is comparing Gore saying he created the internet to Bush forcing a new Cold War.

But hey, he's never cheated on his wife that we know of.

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Love the way George is able to read two different opinions from his speech writers [​IMG]

It would appear the puppeteers are having some fun this morning, keep the foot in his mouth then he makes less goofs

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

4. Band Geek Mobster

Weren't you the same one that was complaining about asian's being stereotyped as people that suck at basketball?

How you can turn around and talk about a whole group of people is beyond me.

------------------
    To resist is to piss in the wind,
    Anyone who does will end up smelling,
    Knowing this why do I defy,
    Cuz my inner voice is yelling.

5. Nomar

Nomar Member

HAHA. The thing is, a war with China would not be that bloody.

We are seperated by the largest body of water in the world.

The U.S. Air Force is vastly superior to the Chinese Air Force. Bombers could literally be on top of all major Chinese cities in a matter of hours after war was declared. Uncontested.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

China is simply too big to win a war against with mainly air attacks. We might could make some slight dents, but this is not Iraq we are talking about here. This is a densly populated, freaking huge country. If it somehow came to war, land battles would be inevitable, and blood would be spilled in vast amounts that I don't even want to think about.

------------------
    Watch out for gay Limbo Dancers.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Nomar, China has nukes. Those nukes are attached to missles that can reach at least the west coast of the US. So yes, war with China could turn very bloody.

Raven, I doubt that the US would resort to a land war. Their military outnumbers our own by a factor of 2 to 1, and they have a billion + population. Heck, we couldn't win a land war against Vietnam or Korea, and those countries are microscopic in comparison to China.

------------------
    I'm about to boldly go where many men have gone before.

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

1) China will not use nukes, neither will we. Especially since there will be no war. A war would devestate both economies and both sides are smart enough to realize this. Leaders will bluster and act tough to impress the people back home but its all talk.

2) We did win the war in Korea, crushed both the Korean army and the Chinese army eventually, its just we stopped at the 38th parallel because we feared an expansion into a general war.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited April 25, 2001).]

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

that's all well and true.

But you forget we have an ace in the hole.

George W is our president.

I'm not worried. Are you?

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

10. Puedlfor

His handlers won't let him do something stupid like getting the United States involved in a major war. He'll bluster, they'll bluster back, everyone will look good to the folks back home and the status quo remains.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

hum....interesting...

His handlers....

like the oil industry, the defence industry, big business...

no, I guess none of them would benifit from a war.

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

This thread got me thinking about the future. Will the US ever be involved in another major war or will all disputes be resolved at the table?

By major war, I'm talking about the fear of being attacked in the states. That must have been something to be living during the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. I watched a video on drills in case of a nuclear attack. Scary stuff even watching it knowing everything turned out alright.

Fortunately, its not Bush's decision to protect Taiwan at all costs. There's 535 people in Washington who have the final say, and you better believe they aren't gonna let anything happen...(hopefully).

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited April 25, 2001).]

13. Puedlfor

Only the defense industry would benifit from a war and thats only a temporary thing. They'd benifit far more from a scare in which the United States upped defense spending to meet this new "threat".

Big businesses don't want to be cut off from the enormous market that China has, neither do oil businesses. It is much better for them to expand into the Chinese market and reap the monetary benifits of selling things to the population.

------------------

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think it's fair to say stereotyping a race and a political group is a bit different.

If it makes you feel better, go on and make fun of Asian names or stereotype me all you want, I'll brush it off this time.

I wasn't complaining about Asians being made fun of skill wise, I just had a problem with people making fun of our names.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Personally, I think the whole thing was completely blown out of proportion by everyone. Bush got suckered into saying something over the top and he backed WAY off on CNN later.

This wouldn't even be an issue had the decisions on Tiawan and the spy plane incident not occurred so close together.

I don't like Bush, but I honestly don't think he is stupid enough to get us involved in a war with China. I think he's dumb, but not THAT dumb.

------------------
    And then, depression set in...

16. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

you are right in a sense..the president cannot declare wars on other countries himself, only congress can...but declaring wars mean absolutly nothing...what the president can do it to make wars...congress don't really have much control over the president's actions when it comes to causing wars...

[This message has been edited by ChenZhen (edited April 25, 2001).]

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

This whole China Taiwan thing stinks of Tom Clancy's Bear and the Dragon Book.

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Over reacting...sheesh..

I guess having a backbone as a national leader is not in vogue these days.

Maybe Kennedy would have been villified over the Cuban missile crisis if he were president.

There is no emminent war, just posturing.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.