1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hitchens: Does the left really want the U.S. to lose?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Aug 9, 2005.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

batman- it's always nice to hear from you, even if you seem to be limited to post-by-proxy these days. i'll love for you to share some original thoughts at some time.

as for FB's post, impassioned and heartfelt though it may have been, it boils down to the realization that people die in war and that this is bad, ergo the war is bad. no one is arguing the former point, but the latter point is just bull****. the battle for iraq is but one in a war that started long before 9/11 or the advent of the bush administration, and that war will not cease on january 20, 2009, or when we withdraw from iraq. the front may shift, but the war will drag on. as long as evil men use evil, fascist ideology to attack us, we will have to confron this meance.

did iraq have a role in 9/11? perhaps, perhaps not. i find it impossible to gaze upon the airplane fuselage training facility at salmaan pak and believe it's just a coincidence. did iraq have connections to al queda. without a doubt. to pretend otherwise is to close your eyes to mountains of evidence that has been uncovered since the war. did iraq posses WMD prior to the war? yes. where are they now? noone knows, nor have any of the various reports provided a convincing explanation of what happened to them.

I didn't need george bush to tell me iraq was a threat. post 9/11, it was obvious. it should have been obvious before. whether you agree or disagree with how we got there, all americans should be able to agree that the best way to support the troops, and indeed support all americans, is to win this damn war.

batman, you used to be one of the more interesting posters on this board. i find it sad that not only can you know longer post for yourself, apparently you're no longer able to think for yourself either.

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Are you serious?!?! Nobody here has "tak[en] delight" in American blood being spilled. We are SICKENED by the blood that is being spilled, which is the reason that the people responsible for the mistakes that have been made (the administration) need to be held accountable.

Are you really so mentally deranged that you believe that people who are against the war "tak[e] delight" in troops being killed. If so, you need to seek psychiatric help.

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Define WMD? Rows and rows, hundreds upon hundreds of shiny new silos complete with MERVS pointing directly at NY? Huh?

Or were they rusty old short range chemical missiles that didn't work very well, that were left over from the Soviet days?

Do you remember the language that Mr Bush was using? How was he framing it? Do you remember at all?

With this type of logic, one could justify anything.

#83 DavidS, Aug 10, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Funny, I thought the war was still going, guerilla war that is. Ask the Soviets if the war was 'over' once they successfully invaded and occupied the entire country (Afghanistan that is), they will tell you that the war was "just beginning". We are still at war in Iraq, it's not a 'peace-keeping mission' when you have over 100 attacks carried out by insurgents every single day.

As for winning the battles, just remember this: you can win all the battles, and still lose the war. How so? You lose the war when you fail to accomplish your objectives, and so far in Iraq we are far from accomplishing our objective, and have made little progress since the initial invasion of Iraq. It might take months to build schools and hospitals and other things in Iraq, but it would only take one attack to destroy what's been built. That's the kind of reality our troops are facing in Iraq.

#84 tigermission1, Aug 10, 2005
  5. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

What some call underestimating, others call a Pandora's Box. Warning! DO NOT OPEN!

Did you listen?

George H.W. Bush would have said, and I paraphrase, "I wouldn't do that if I were you. It wouldn't be prudent."

POWER without WISDOM is dangerous!

#85 DavidS, Aug 10, 2005
  6. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I just borrowed the word from Dubious:) It is a Pandora's box indeed.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

No you wouldn't. You'd ignore them like you always did, and like you do with FB's thoughtful posts, and chalk them up to blind partisanship, general hating, a desire to see the troops fail and terrorist sympathizing. You've had the benefit of hundreds of original thoughts from me and you refused to meaningfully address a single point. I'm not wasting my time anymore. When Max, Refman, treeman, Cohen, Hayes, mrpaige, etc. were posting from a conservative point of view, it was worth it to spend hours debating these things. In fact, it was hella fun. Now that it's down to you and the Jorge brothers, it's boring and frustrating.

Even while I've long since tired of posting long, sincere arguments here, FB (for one) hasn't. You not only have yet to respond to any of my old posts, you haven't responded to his here either. (Reducing his various arguments to war is bad, peace is good doesn't count and you know it.) Why would I continue to waste time adding arguments when you can't even answer the thoughtful arguments that are already here?

8. basso

Supporting Member

you might want to think about why we're the only ones left...no pun intended

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Because everyone else wised up.....

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The hateful, insulting-spewing andymoon-style posters probably have a lot to do with it. I see into their game and it doesn't affect me one bit - it only serves to show their insecurities by having to resort to insults.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

texxx, I have to give you credit... you have a fine sense of irony, and a superb imagination.

Keep D&D Civil!!

12. basso

Supporting Member

in light of this report, and much other info we already have, would any of you support military action against either iran or syria if it were proven their governements were supporting terroist ops in iraq?

EDIT: military action could mean anything from strategic bombing to full scale invasion.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/10/iran.iraq/index.html

--
    Rumsfeld: Iraq bombs 'clearly from Iran'
    Tehran denies involvement

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Tuesday that weapons recently confiscated in Iraq were "clearly, unambiguously from Iran" and admonished Tehran for allowing the explosives to cross the border.

Iran's defense minister denied the claims in a report carried by the state-run news agency IRNA.

According to Ali Shamkhani, Iran is playing no role in Iraqi affairs, including "its alleged involvement in bomb explosions."

The shipment of sophisticated bombs was confiscated in the past two weeks by U.S. and Iraqi troops in southern Iraq, senior U.S. officials said Monday.

Although he would not comment on whether the Iranian government was directly involved, Rumsfeld said, "it's notably unhelpful for the Iranians to be allowing weapons of those types to be crossing the border."

"What you do know of certain knowledge is the Iranians did not stop it from coming in," he said.

Rumsfeld said the weapons create problems for the Iraqi government, coalition forces and the international community.

"And ultimately, it's a problem for Iran," he added.

When asked if that was a threat of possible retaliation, Rumsfeld replied, "I don't imply threats. You know that."

"They (the Iranians) live in the neighborhood. The people in that region want this situation stabilized with the exception of Iran and Syria," he said.

The U.S. officials said the weapons were more lethal and more sophisticated than the bombs typically used by Iraqi insurgents.

After examining the truckload of weapons, intelligence analysts said the explosive parts are similar to those used by Iran's Revolutionary Guard.

While there is no evidence Iran's government sanctioned the weapons shipment, the analysts said it may indicate a rogue element inside Iran is making the weapons and trying to ship them to Iraq's insurgents.

Troops found the bombs inside crates seized near a border crossing on the Iraqi side, the officials said.

Three senior U.S. officials told CNN the weapons were made in such a way that their blast would have been focused in a single direction, thereby increasing their lethality.

One official said the shipment included "tens" of bombs.

13. basso

Supporting Member

and a follow up, how do you all feel about nuclear armed iran? should the US prevent such an eventuality, by any means necessary?

14. bigtexxx

A nuclear armed Iran should scare the crap out of anybody. They knowingly support terrorists.

I think the EU and the US agree on this one. Russia and China will selfishly act in their own interests, though.

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

And again (and again and again and again), no response on substance. Typical.

I especially love the people who repeatedly accuse the other side of being anti-American, unpatriotic, Saddam/terrorist lovers who want American troops to die suggesting the other side is impolite or mean. But then, if you're unwilling to argue the facts (and you obviously are), what else is left?

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

What differences are there, in terms of commitment to the relavent international treaties, between Iran and Israel on the nuclear proliferation? I am not directing my question specifically to basso, anyone with knowledge is welcome to respond. I seriously want to know.

17. bigtexxx

how about Iran knowingly supports terrorists. Does that make you feel comfortable with them having nukes?

18. basso

Supporting Member

arguing facts? facts are objective truths. we're arguing opinions. i'm not going to go dig through your old posts and find something you feel i didn't respond adequetly too. if you have something to offer in this thread, other than the opinions of others, by all means offfer it up. if it's sufficiently provacative or interesting, i'm sure it will engender discussion.

as for FB's post, i responded to it. sorry you didn't like what i said, but you can't argue i ignored it. or rather, you can, you'd just be wrong.

19. basso

Supporting Member

i would say there's no way this administration allows iran to go nuclear. if the iranis are adamant, we will confront them militarily.

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I'm sure that's always been the plan.