1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SAR No Longer Wants to be a Net

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by apostolic3, Aug 7, 2005.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

1) Akeem is on a different level than SAR. I think most people know that.

2) Akeem learned that playing unselfish and *having* good role players was necessary to success (see the 88-91 seasons). A point that was addressed in my other post regarding SAR's willingness to play a role, not a main-man.

Also note that SAR is not a leading player. He's a very good player. But no where is it written that one must build a team around SAR and expect him to lead a team to the play-offs or championship. Heck, if Pau Gasol can't lead his team to a championship, why would you expect SAR to? Would that mean that Gasol is a failure and at fault? I think not.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude at least Pau Gasol can lead his team to a winning record and a couple playoff appearances!

SAR can't lead fish to the ocean.

3. DavidS

And wouldn't that mean that Gasol is better than SAR? That's plausible, right? And that would make sense that his ability would pan out like it has, right? Yet, you EXPECT that SAR plays as good as Gasol regardless of any injuries? To me Gasol IS better than SAR. But I'd still take SAR as long as he knows his role on THIS team. In 7-8 years from now, YOU could always make the augment that Gasol *sucks* because he hasn't won a title, etc, etc.... See how that goes? It's all relative and besides the point. All that matters is how well does SAR the *fit* on OUR team. If he's selfish, no. If he can be a team-player. Yes!

That maybe true...but...SAR wont be required to lead on the Rockets. Any *other* players, whatever their records they had on *other* teams, would be coming to the ROCKETS. A team that already has two leading stars: TMac and Yao. And the burden of success will be placed upon them. Not whether a role player (3rd and 4th options) has or has not lead their old teams to the playoffs. It all becomes irrelevant in the case of the Rockets since they already have two established leaders. The rules have changed for SAR.

If SAR comes here, in one year you'll be defending SAR just like Howard. :) Unless his knees go bad. :(

#43 DavidS, Aug 7, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  4. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

wow you played with both these guys. :eek:

5. drpepper

drpepper Member

Wow, imagine that. Shareef is pissed because he didn't pass his physical. :rolleyes:

What a dumbass. He wanted to sign a fat contract and then have it come out that he need surgery or something.

The headline should say "Shareef no longer wants to be a Net since his apparent injury has been exposed".

It's very simple for the Nets, they don't want to pay him if he's already unhealthy. No fault there, Alan Houston already did that to the Knicks.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow. They could have had Stromile Swift too. He was leaning towards New Jersey at one point. Good job, New Jersey. Way to screw things up for your team and your fans.

7. Kurupt the Kingpin

Did you forget to read the article?

8. txdonk

txdonk Member

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Check your reading comprehension.

In 2004/2005, Abdur-Rahim played 54 games.
    In 2003/2004, Abdur-Rahim played 85 games.*
    In 2002/2003, Abdur-Rahim played 81 games.

In fact, last year was the first year Shareef missed more than 5 games. Durability has never been a problem in his career, but new injuries may change that.

*- Yes, 85 games. That was the year SAR was traded midseason. Due to a scheduling quirk, Portland had played 3 fewer games than Atlanta, allowing SAR to play 85 regular season games.

10. DavidS

Opps! My mistake.

Easy NIKEstrad! Yes, you are right. My bad! SAR missed 28 games last year. I read the season stats incorrectly. I just remembered him being injured and wasn't sure how far back it affected him -- this was my main concern. But that just makes the case *for* SAR coming here. If you read my post, I was not against him coming here in the first place as long as his health holds up -- and we can afford him.

Your statement, "Durability has never been a problem in his career, but new injuries may change that" falls right into my original point -- last years injuries. SAR said that his knees never have been an issue. The Nets staff will have to assess if the scar tissue is a short or long term concern -- as would the Rockets.

We'll find out on Friday.

#50 DavidS, Aug 7, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"...an MRI found scar tissue in his right knee resulting from an injury he suffered in high school. He underwent arthroscopic surgery in 1993 and has never missed a game in college or during his nine-year NBA career because of a knee injury."
    ________

Can someone give a brief rundown of what the injury actual was (at the time)?

Thanks.

12. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

could it be that the Nets got a real good offer for some other power foward but since they promised Shareef playing time at the 4 they are reluctant to pull the trigger....so in order to cancel the deal they just failed his physical...just wondering....cause it does not seem Reef has any serious problems with his knees.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

maybe they found out he had no heart.

14. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Ironic.

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Bahaha

16. tinman

Supporting Member

17. tinman

Supporting Member

"Spurred on by yesterday's exclusive story in The Post in which Abdur-Rahim — upset by the Nets' handling of medical concerns that arose in his physical — said he no longer wanted to join the franchise, the team is expected to announce today it is going through with the deal. Abdur-Rahim, 28, who was courted heavily by the Nets, was disillusioned by the team's last-second decision to seek additional medical opinions about scar tissue in his right knee." New York Post
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/26762.htm

HA HA HA HA !

Shareef's going to complain cause Richard Jefferson will score more points than him. Why does this matter? they are going to get destroyed by Miami.

18. DavidS

Hey! That's Dr. Doom! He has no heart either! Muuhahaha (enter evil laughter)!!! Maybe if you wanted to be Doc Doom you should have picked that moniker. You'll always be the Tinman to me, tinman! :D

[​IMG]

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I know I'm the Tinman.
    I know I'm also right. especially on nba basketball.
    Especially that SAR on the Nets is actually great news because
    that overrated player isn't on my beloved Rockets.
    Stromile Swift! Thanks CD!!

20. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

No heart, no brain.