1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Padgett opts out of contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Actually that contract seems right on to me. I don't see teams opening up the bank for him, just because Baker, Spoon and Mooch make a lot more doesn't mean Padget should get a lot more (see next point).

Ditto, he can come back for another 2 year deal at 1 mil per year at the most. He is a tweener forward who can't defend, rebound or get up and down the court, but he does have a minor role because he can shoot long range for a PF and plays within a team concept.

I don't mind if him or Bowen comes back, but we need to look for MUCH better players first.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A 2yr 1M per would be a lot better than 1 year at 870,000. I don't see teams opening up the bank like you said, but he can and probably will get more money from someone.

3. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

WOW...if Padgett is not back next year... Yao will be the only guy left on the Rockets that was on the team before the T-Mac / Francis trade... I love this new team but every now and some of the past players

4. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

You are forgetting the fat man!

There is no 'Spoon!

Clarence "the chubby monkey man" Weatherspoon was with us.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he probably heard that he will become the 3rd PF in the rotation next year and decided that some other team is willing to give him backup minutes.

this just clears a roster spot for a new PF to be braught in. sad but good news.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

It is close to his current rate with what, 10-12% raises (standards for most new contracts). It is certainly in the same ball park as his current rate and more than the vet min he would probably get elsewhere. I doubt another team would use an exemption on him, nor would a team under the cap be interested. Basically gives gives him 1 more year of security.

But until we see the draft and begin our FA season I wouldn't want to offer him something like this (2 year commitment) and take up a roster spot. He is going to have to wait on us before figuring out if he needs to sell his house.

7. aries323

aries323 Member

thanks for this forgotten memory Padgett, the hightlight of your career...

other than national championship at Kentucky of course

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I was under the impression Padgett signed a one-year deal with the Rockets, which is why they couldn't trade him this year. Was it a 2-year deal with player option then? :confused:

9. Win

Win Contributing Member

Uhn, poor timing...

10. TheFelderFirm

TheFelderFirm Member

He did it so he can go into the lock out as a free agent so he can get signed under the new terms and get paid more money.. that's what I think.

11. jtran

jtran Contributing Member

that's probably it right there. i think scott was the team's player rep. so he's probably pretty familiar w/the negotiations going on...i think one of the things they're working on is raising the vet's min. i really doubt anybody offers more than that for him. he always played hard though and seemed like a good guy, which i guess counts for something.

12. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

Yea, that seems reasonable. Wherever he goes, I doubt he would see anything more than the vet min. BTW, congratulations on your first post.

13. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Lets hope Vin doesnt want to do the same.. ;)

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Gonna miss his outside shooting but you can't blame a guy for wanting to get more playing time elsewhere

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Man, that Padgett game winner was awesome! I like Padgett on the team. Solid role player. As a 3rd string PF he is perfect.

16. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I am glad someone got that ... as many South Park pictures as there are on the internet, I could not find a Succubus episode pic to go there.. :D

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not sure that I believe it's strictly about playing time. I don't think it's completely out of the question for Padgett to get picked up somewhere for a million a year. I know that seems like peanuts by NBA standards, but how many of you wouldn't absolutely flip your lid if you found out you were going to get a 23% raise or even a 10% raise? He's already making the veteran minimum so he can't do worse unless nobody picks him up at all. That seems highly unlikely. He's got nothing to lose. I bet the absolute worst he walks away from this move with is another gauranteed year at the league minimum. That's one more year of security, and you know these guys have to feed their families. :D

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Padgett would be better suited on a team like the Suns, or the Mavericks, or the Kings, one that passes the ball around and makes quick cuts to the basket.

He is an intelligent effective player in the right system, I wish him well.

DD

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd agree with this. Playing time can't be the point. He's not getting more time elsewhere (unless he wants to play for the Hawks). But, he'll probably get a small raise, an extra year, and has nothing to lose. Someone will sign him unless he has a freak acl tear climbing his stairs. Low risk, moderate reward. Why wouldn't he opt out?

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Scott Padgett ponders his NBA future while relaxing on Easter Island.

[​IMG]

#40 Dubious, Jun 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2005