1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How busy are you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by slcrocket, Jun 5, 2005.

1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

This summer I accepted an unpaid summer internship which required that my wife and I move a few hundred miles south of Salt Lake. As an airlines employee, I was able to transfer down to the airport down here in St. George, but it is obviously a much smaller and less-utilized airport, which has cut my regular paid hours down drastically. So I had to go get another job working 30 hours a week on top of all of it.

So in the end, I work 20 hours a week at my internship, 30 hours a week at my office job, and 15 hours a week at the airport, for a total of 65 hours.

So I was just wondering--I know I'm not the only one who has to work and just wanted to hear some of your crazy schedules. I'm hoping it will make me feel better to see other people going through even more hellish days. So how busy ARE you?

2. drapg

drapg Member

Between closing on a new house in 2 weeks and the 8 zillion things involved in buying your first home and moving from one residence to another and my demanding job, where i was at for the past 4 hours reviewing my interns work and setting out their schedule this week...

i hardly have time to finish this post.

But I did. :)

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I work between 40 and 60 hours per week depending on the projects we have. I rehearse and perform (plus load-in, load-out, etc) probably an average of 10 hours per week.

For the first three years Clutch and I had the business, I averaged 75 hours per week working. Yikes.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Last year about this time, I was averaging 68 to 72 hours a week. Working like that for a month solid gets very old and stressful fast, at least for me.

In the last 2 weeks, I have had to take short business trips out West and things look to be pretty busy for me until mid August. Working the weekends some isn't too bad, but if I start accumulating more than 50 hours a week for like a month again - that is when it gets bad for me.

Hopefully that won't happen, but I have my doubts.:(

The bottom line for me is the less posts you see from me during the day during the week means the busier I am.:D

5. Silk

Silk Member

monday- saturday 9am to 8pm
    66 freakin hours
    last year i was 7 days and 77 hours. it was ruining my life, my relationships. So i started closing on sundays.

God willing, just 2 more months of this.

6. Silk

Silk Member

This real estate agent we have that is trying to close a property sale for us has the life.

every weekend this guy is out some where. He gets six freaking percent of the sale commission. i couldnt say what his average check is, but hes gonna get 83k when our deal goes through.

one guy tried to buy the property and backed out. He had to give up 5k to him from the earnest money.

this man starts his day about 12 and wont pick up his phone after 4 pm. no weekends.

7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

You are a website designer right? Some one once said something about high tech industries that I think is right on. He said in high tech jobs, you either are overworked to the point where you'd be doing nothing but work and thinking about quiting, or you're so underworked that you're scared sh!tless wondering why you have no work and worrying about getting fired. :D

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

83 or 8.3k? cuz if it's 83, that means you just bought a 1.4 million dollar home, what ever it is that you're doing aint too shabby either.

Edit:

nm, when you said realestate, I was think homes, but I guess it can be property, which would've being much more likely.

9. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

50 right now... I'm happy with 50 and dont wanna go much over that...

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Lately, my weekends have been busier than my week days. Last weekend, I had 3 gigs with 2 bands. This weekend, I had an out of town gig and I didn't get home until about 3:30 this morning. So I took a 2 hour nap and got up at 6 for my church gig.

I'm actually looking forward to Monday morning so I can relax...at work! :eek:

11. junglerules

junglerules Member

During the school year as a teacher, I probably put in a good 60 to 65 hours each week easily. Now that it's summertime, it's safe to say that I have a significantly bigger amount of down time.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

From 2001-2003 I had a crazy schedule:

I just switched jobs from a Advertising firm which was bought out (at least the radio side) but it maintained a small publication business. I knew the owner who was a good guy and he offered me a great hourly wage to stay around on a part-time basis as their controller. (This took 12 hours/week, more around 4Q since there year end was 9/30)

Mean time I joined a consulting company in town as their CFO. Was working there 50-55 hours/week.

Finally a friend of mine got into the restaraunt business and I helped him out on the side. Started off slow at about 4 hours/week but he expanded from one store to six.

Long story short but for a couple years the least I worked was about 65-70 hours /week (7am-9pm M-TH, 7-5 F, and full days Saturday and Sunday). That doesn't include tax season where I managed to still do about $12k in billings.

Looking back I wouldn't want to do it again, but it allowed me to do many things (notably make alot of cash, while not giving myself enough time to spend it).

Since then I went into public accounting (joined a small firm which specialized in restaraunts), but have since opted to stay with my friend in the restaraunt business. 6 stores, 2 franchises opening in July-August and 1 (hopefully 2 shortly) new store under construction. Life is much better now, at least I have time to enjoy myself.

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I still consider myself fairly new to the real world, and finding out that many people other than shift workers put in 12 (and more) hours a day came as a shock to me. I was brought up on 8-5, 9-5, but I'm finding out this is not the way it is for many people.

How do, or did, you handle long work days like that? I hope these hours don't depress a person too much.

I'm currently busy looking for work, and for the first time realizing and understanding that, for a period of time, long hours are more common than I think.

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I learned to say "No".

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

so far this summer has sucked.

I am working 6hrs a day, and taking 4 hours of class every day of the work week.

it sucks.

I am taking Chemistry for Engineer in 5 weeks, I've had 4 classes so far and the test is on tuesday. 1.5 chapters covered a day.

BUT...this will all be done for a few months on June 30th. I can't wait, I am headed to Argentina in July. :D

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For about 5 months or so I averaged between 75 and 100 hours per week (OT was great). I'm down to about 70 hours a week now, but that's expected to go up in July or thereabouts. Thanks for the break, boss!!! :rolleyes:

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Some of you guys need to take notes from this guy:

[​IMG]

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It sucks and it is depressing when you realize that not only do you have to have a job, but work until you are 65, maybe even to when you are 70.

You will also find that the further you advance in your professional career, the more hours you will have to work. Everything has a price, unfortunately.:(

19. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

During the last fall and spring I worked from 8-5 MF then went to night classes at law school M-TH from 5:45 - 9:30.
    Then I would usually stay at the library until about 11 pm.
    Then drive 30 minutes back home, eat a meal, and go to sleep until about 6:15 am.

Lather rinse Repeat.

I'm taking this summer "off" from school and only working my full time job. I needed a break real bad.

[​IMG]

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Heading off to Australia on Wednesday for 2 1/2 weeks on a work related trip. I get back and 3 days later head off to Korea for another 2 1/2 weeks.

The Australia trip will probably have reasonable working hours. I expect Korea to be 60-70+ hours per week.