1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You guys mind helping us out at HPF.com?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ric@HPF, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Ric@HPF

Ric@HPF Member

hey, all,

i was wondering if i could take a moment of your time and use this forum (if it's alright with clutch) to do a quasi-survey re: our web site, Houston Pro Football. i have two simple questions, and you're the right audience for many reasons. unfortunately, there is no gift for completing the survey, unless you consider my eternal gratitude ample payment (most do not):

1) what do you think of the name, Houston Pro Football? if you were looking for texan information on the web, would you think to visit a site called, Houston Pro Football? or is it maybe too generic?

2) the second question relates to the ultimate bbs. we don't use it. we kinda grew as a staff from ac.com, and were comfortable using webBBS, but are open to ideas/suggestions regarding which is the better format.

since you use the ultimate bbs, what are its advantages? what do you dislike about it? have you used the webBBS, and if so, what do you like and dislike about it?

thanks for the input, thanks to clutch for a web page that not only continues to astound on a daily basis (where DOES he find the time), but also raises the bar for all the rest of us, coughing in his dust.

------------------
    Ric
    http://www.houstonprofootball.com

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Refresh my memory...what is Pro Football?

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Too much in and out clicking in the WebBBS system. UBB gives a complete web page on a topic thread that allows quicker and easier review of previous posts on that topic.

Can posters get creative and put in some html (tables etc) to illustrate their position?

WebBBS seems similar to Harold's GS Warrior BBS and it loads fast, but very plain in appearance.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Special Assignment: ZRB Patrol

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

1. IMO, I think the name sounds a little generic. Doesn't really matter all that much though, it's kinda hard to think of something catchy for a franchise named "Texans" with no history to draw from. [​IMG]

2. I haven't seen a ton of BBS's, but IMO, Ultimate BBS or ones of a similar nature have been the most user-friendly(as a poster)

------------------
    snap crackle pop

5. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I know I would post there more if there were a UBB or vBulletin bulletin board system. I just like the way they work better.

As for the name, I think HoustonProFootball.com is perfectly fine. It's easy to remember and type in and all that. The best Texans-related names are probably all taken by now anyway.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

6. Ric@HPF

Ric@HPF Member

i know what you mean, ryan...

i was reared on the teat of the bbs we use (thanks in large part to ac.com), so i find it to be more preferable (which is why i rarely post here), but am fully cognizant of the fact that i might think differently had i posted here, first.

so, is it just a comfort level for you, or are there, in your honest opinion (and hell, you run a few sites, so i obviously respect your judgement) legitimate advantages to one, and disadvantages to the other?

thanks in advance for the input,

------------------
    Ric

[This message has been edited by Ric@HPF (edited March 06, 2001).]

7. Ric@HPF

Ric@HPF Member

vbulletin board is the one we're looking at. i like the customization options quite a bit, and it does seem faster, less of a space hog.

thanks for the input. hope you'll still post in spite of our *inferior* board. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ric

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

There are some minor advantages like being able to more easily post html or pictures or things like that. And some preferences are easier to set for the user.

But beyond that, I think it's just a preference issue.

If you did decide to change, I would recommend vBulletin over UBB. It's cheaper, the code is reportedly tighter, the program is reportedly faster and takes up less disk space, and it is more easily customizable.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page