1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bonzi Wells

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Alirules, May 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Alirules

Alirules Member

What about this guy. He wants to get traded. Should Rockets pick him up.

2. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe Chad should pick him up. I mean... Mike.

The Rockets --- no. They don't need bus stop trash like that.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Memphis would probably love David wesley, sure we could sneak mooch in there also. Bonzi is one of the players I would love to see on this team. He is solid and does pretty much everything well and posseses a varied offensive arsenal. I would love him on this team.

4. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Between the 2 veteran players with issues,I'd choose Bonzi over Sprewell

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

Wells would be a good addition. He's versatile on the offensive end, and is a very good defender. Other than the comment he made during the playoffs, he's been fairly tame since going to the Grizz.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would love to pick up Wells and I'm sure the Grizzlies would love to dump him as well.

Bonzi is still a solid scorer and who can play good defense.

What about:

Spoon + Wesley + 1st Round Pick + Future 2nd Round Pick for

Swift (S&T) + Wells

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Wells is talented enough to make a big difference on our team but he can be a very disruptive influence. I would stay away from him. His track record scares me off.

Like I've said, any team that wants to win at all next year won't take Spoon until near the trade deadline. I don't think the Grizz are ready to give up on next year before the season even starts. If Spoon's expiring contract is as valuable as many of you think, my optimism for next season is off the charts.

8. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

It depends on who Memphis's general manager is. If it's Bubba working at McDonald's, I would say it's possible.
    When was the last time you saw a trade where the two best players involved in the trade went to the same team? Furthermore, when was the last time that the team in question (Rox) got the two best players plus unloaded an albatross? 24th pick and a second round pick are uncertainties.
    You ain't dealing with Bubba, you are dealing with Jerry West

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Memphis is also looking for cap relief, so much that they are willing to sell their 1st round pick because of the guaranteed contract, and they have been looking to move Wells for a while.

But I agree that West wouldn't do this, especially with division rivals, but stranger things have happened...

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

If the money works out, I would love that trade

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Memphis have until July 1st to pick up their option on Bonzi. I believe they are torn on this decision but for business reason many believe they will pick up this option and trade him -- one thing is clear; Bonzi will not play for Memphis next season.

It is possible that they do not pick up his option if they cannot get "willing" partner. Now if Bonzi becomes a FA come July 1st, what could he get on the open Market? Full MLE? Not many teams have much money to offer him like he would like save for maybe Seattle, Cleveland, Atlanta, Miulwaukee and maybe NO.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I actually think a deal with Memphis has a chance of happening. I don't think West is going to stay there. He sees the handwriting on the wall and he knows that they have no realistic chance of winning a championship with the players that they have and there are really no Duncans, Shaqs, or McGradys in this draft that will make his team an elite contender. It wouldn't surprise me if he did something radical in the trade department before he walks out the door. His only hope is that things go sour in Miami and the Heat either let Shaq walk or offer him up in trade for a bunch of Memphis' players. That only happens if something goes terribly wrong in Miami. I don't see that happening. Who else is out there that could turn Memphis into a championship contender that is attainable?

No one. West will leave Memphis.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Cap relief from two players with no contractural obligation next season???

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bonzo will get 'lucky' with three year deal @ 1/2 (the current) MLE.

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Man, if Bonzi weren't such a cancer he'd be high on my fa list cuz I really like his game.

But I don't want the rox to even think about him cuz he could set the team back by acting like the ******* he is.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

On the court, Bonzi can post up and attack the rack with the best of them. He's a poor 3pt shooter who lacks discipline on offense and defense, and doesn't look to pass the ball often enough. His defense is only average.

Off the court, he's a total headcase. Not only is he uncoachable and a disruptive lockerroom force, the general consensus is that he's a total a-hole.

Stay away from Bonzi Wells. Lockerroom chemistry means a lot more than some seem to think.

17. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Argh! I'm torn between taking Wells or not.

I've always liked both Posey's and Bonzi's games (as role players -- not main offensive options -- their games are kinda similar). But chemistry is also important. Again, I can't make my mind up on this one.

dharocks, where did you get your info about him being a "disruptive lockerroom force?"

#17 DavidS, May 27, 2005
    Last edited: May 27, 2005
  18. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I've actually been thinking alot about Bonz Wells being on this team. He would be a great bench player, and we could have him playing two positions. He hasn't really been that much of a problem in memphis, and I don't think he would want to come onto a team with McGrady and Yao and be a cancer in the locker room. The three players I would like this season all come from Memphis.

1. Stromile Swift
    2. Bonzi Wells
    3. Earl Watson

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

http://web.kitsapsun.com/redesign/2003-12-07/sports/341216.shtml

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archold.cgi?id=15366

Yeah, except Fratello benched him in Game 4 of the playoffs ("in the best interest of the team"), and the Grizz are desperately trying to get rid of him. Gee, that doesn't raise any red flags. I'm sure playing with Yao and T-Mac will magically turn him into a model citizen.

We can find better players (with much less baggage) who can average 10.4ppg.

#19 dharocks, May 27, 2005
    Last edited: May 27, 2005
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont have the link handy but yesterday in the Memphis paper (Commercial Appeal) there was an article saying that West would like to trade Bonzi (potentially packaged with someone) BEFORE June 30th. And they have already talked to a few interested teams. It will be interesting to see if any moves get made before the draft.