1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cuttino Mobley - Wants out of Sacromento?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aeroman10, May 25, 2005.

1. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

after reading this thread i can see that alot us would like to have darius songaila and maybe cat on our team next year. i dont know the exact amounts that each would make or could make, but would this trade somehow work????

sac gets: david wesley + weatherspoon
    hou gets: mobley+ songaila

i know many would ask why would sac do this but it would clear up cap space since i believe wesley and clarence are FA next year. im not saying make this exact trade but would rockets be able to pull it off? i believe wesley makes close to 5 mil and weatherspoon makes 5 mil or maybe more....in which case mobley can be signed to a 6 or 7 mil deal and songaila would sign for maybe three years are 3 mil i would make this trade in a heart beat if sac would do it

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Anybody that thinks cat doesn't play team ball and doesn't buy into a system obviously didn't watch many games. If anyone bought into JVG's system, it was Cat. Even Clutch, who was a big time Cat hater, changed his mind about Cat.

Cat might not be the smartest player, but he is one heck of a baller and does what is asked of him. He's a team player.

And anyone who thinks Yao didn't get the ball enough with Cat around doesn't realize that Yao took less shots this past season than when he played with Francis and Cat.

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Free Agents I want on this team... McInnis, Cat, Songaila, and Swift.

Even if we only get two of those guys I'd be happy.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Forgive me, but when I think of Cat, I think of ill-advised shots galore.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Considering he shot a better percentage than any wing player we had last season except for Jon Barry including T-mac, I don't think most of his shots were that ill-advised.

6. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Cat was always the part of THE DEAL I didn't like. Come home kattttt

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Cat played more in control for Van Gundy than he did for Adelman. He's a polarizing guy for Kings fans too, if you check out KingsTalk.com

Cat still shot the hell out of that 3 ball last year though, like 44%, his exact overall fg%, which means he shot 3's better than jumpers from 2-pt range because his overall % includs layups and dunks too...and not saying his overall % is bad for a 2-guard, because it's pretty good..really saying that this guy can flat out stroke the 3 ball.

8. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Here's a Kings Forum that that doesn't require registration....

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5667&page=1&pp=15

They're discussing Cat opting out of his contract...from the Best Damn Sports Show...

Most are supportive of him -- talking about his passion and determination...a few blame him for taking too many ill-advised shots.

IMO, It's should be clear to see what's wrong with the Kings. Sure, they play a nice pass first offense. But on a team whos best player is Bibby/Peja -- that just lost Webber (take that for what it's worth). They really don't have a go-to guy (not like Tmac -- we are lucky!). Also, how do the Kings expect to win a title when they play worse defense than even the Mavs?!

So, yes, there're a few that bash Mobley. But they bashing for the wrong reasons. The Kings need a star player and some D.

#108 DavidS, May 27, 2005
    Last edited: May 27, 2005
  9. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

well, if you're looking to talk Cat into coming back to Houston - he's in town. I just saw him about 20 minutes ago at the Maxim Party downtown.

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

was steve there?

who else was there? any pics?

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where in this post is your good argument? I must have missed it. I do see where you say he is a jack, and his phone isn't ringing off the hook.(how do you know?) Neither of those aer good arguments, and present little at specifics to look for. You also throw in a lot of laughable internet tough guy talk, and act like this is a school yard for the socially challenged, but I don't see any good arguments here.

I can look at Cat's season under Van Gundy and look at the games he played then, and see that he occasionally made some boneheaded plays, and took some ill advised shots. That wasn't his standard operating procedure though, for that year.

I think what happens is once a player earns a reputation each mistake fitting with that rep gets an uneven amount weight when looking at his progress.

12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You tell em, CC!

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

cat should fit in perfectly with rox

he was taking alot of shots w/ the rox before because he was the best shooter out there

same is true with Orlando and it worked

if he does sign with rox, he'll defer to tmac and yao and be a 3rd option

obviously the guy loved playing for the rox and houston.. that explains his attitude after being traded..

he has the talent, skills, and athleticism.. he just needs to improve on d, learn catch & shoot, and minimize to

14. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I think If Raja Bell could be had on the cheap I would take hime quickly, he cannot get his own shot like Mobley but he would be a huge upgrade as a perimeter defender

15. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

no steve, but tina thompson was.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Cat would be a nice fit, but he'll probably want a contract that will pay him somewhere in the $6-8 million range when he's 35-36 years old...

If we can get him, fine, but he shouldn't be our first priority. We have more glaring needs elsewhere.

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Cat would be a nice fit, but he'll probably want a contract that will pay him somewhere in the $6-8 million range when he's 35-36 years old...

If we can get him, fine, but he shouldn't be our first priority. We have more glaring needs elsewhere.

18. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

If we had Cat instead of Wesley in the playoffs we would be playing against SA right now :(

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed Hey Dude,
    good to see you post.

20. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Agree. Mobley would have been able to guard Stack/Finley and give us that 3td scoring option that we needed.

I would love it if Mobley would come back but we dont know if JVG wants him back or even if Mobley would want to come here for the MLE. Getting another PF on this team should remain the #1 off-season priotity for CD and JVG.