1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuttino Mobley - Wants out of Sacromento?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aeroman10, May 25, 2005.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

oh gee.

up till that point...ONE other person had made a crack about Cat like you did.

that dont make you right...

cause you aint.

I took a shot cause your post was STUPID...had nothing to do with what anyone else posted...just you.

paragraphs....they're a good thing...:rolleyes:

2. zhd80132

zhd80132 Member

No mobley... bring in Simmons who is cheeper, younger and taller.

3. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

I usually just lurk on this board and rarely post. But one thing that will get me going is "Cat".

I would love to see a player with Cat's potential skills coming off the bench as part of a contending team. But I agree that he does not have the attitude nor game savvy to justify the money. Further, I think he is so weak in those areas that those negatives overwhelm any positives his skills bring.

By the way....

What's with the direct attacks and personal bs in your replies?

After 8000+ posts, I would think you should feel comfortable enough to rely on clear and concise arguments to defend your point, and not upon childish name calling and criticisms of someone's message structure. That is just telling that you are neither comfortable about your position nor comfortable about your own abilities to effectively communicate.

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Getting a guy like Walker (no they aren't the same to me) would be for different reasons -- positionally on offense/defense -- than for Cat. Think about this. If we choose to get a SF, that player would be used as a wing player when Tmac is at the 2. That SF would also be a key rebounder. He's also a defender for guards and forwards. The versatile player. If we get a SF like Walker we'll need to get a PG like McInnis. We'll need to offset the strength at the 2 and 3 with a fast/quick PG. If not, we'll have a weak spot there.

If we choose to get a SG like Mobley. We'll move TMac to the 3, and can sacrifice not having a scoring PG, but rather just a solid guard playing the 1 (Sura. OR even a setup PG like Earl Watson). If you imagine Cat bringing the ball up the court...and TMac is doubled/denied the ball -- what do you think Mobley will do single teamed? He'll tear them up! We need that option! That was a big problem before.

So, either we get a SF with a fast/quick PG. Or we get a scoring SG with an all-around GUARD at the 1. We need some offensive power at the 1 or 2. The SF would address only one part of our problems. And that's not even talking about the PF spot. But that's a lot easier to address since it doesn't affect the position of TMac or our PG roles.

Note. The reason I keep saying GUARD (A combo guard that really isn't a PG) is because there're aren't enough true PGs available. Not because I don't want one of those players.

Of the players you listed above. Bobby Simmons and Bobby Jackson are two of my favorites. Just say NO to Ricky Davis. Flip Murray is interesting. He's a scoring PG. Soild/fearless player. Id rather have Cat Mobley and Raja Bell over Darius Miles. Miles reminds me of Davis. Dunk happy, with no outside range (18ft). I'm not saying we can't use those type of players. It's just that I rather have a more well-rouned G, SG of SF that can do both scoring on outside shooting AND cutting/driving for the dunk.

If I had to choose between dunking 6'9" Darius Miles and a dunking 6'7" Ricky Davis. I'd go with Miles. But we better have a scoring PG with outside range to off-set that. Sura wouldn't cut it.

Larry Hughes is a strange player. He's not very efficient shooter/scorer. I can't quite figure him out. He could be soooo good. But he just languishes in mediocrity to good.

#84 DavidS, May 26, 2005
    Last edited: May 26, 2005
  5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree with this. Need to lock down the 4 spot before entertaining the MLE for SGs.

The Kings have an entirely different offense and don't have Tmac and Yao to break down defenses. We need our SG to shoot a high% (3 particularly), play defense and swing the ball if covered. CM is clearly excellent in 2 of the 3.

No the biggest difference of why Walker has less of a chance to be a Rocket than Cat is Walker is offensively inefficient for his position (where as Cat is offensively effiecient) and Cat is good defensively for his position and AW is not. You want to focus on numbers but you leave out the most important offensive figures for an SG on the Rockets: FG%, 3% and PPS.

Of these only 1 I can think intrigues me more, Raja Bell. He is less dynamic, but should be much cheaper and might function just as well. Simmons is not going to be had for a full MLE even if we had it to offer. BJ is smaller, more fragible and I think Sac is keeping him another year anyway. Most of the rest of the guys you mention have much bigger flags (poorer shooting, poorer offensive efficiency, and/or poorer defensively than Cat). I would also entertain Spree or Kittles, but only if they come in at the 1.6/1.7 exemption level--but I'd try Bell 1st.

So Cat isn't the first choice among realistic FAs or even FA guards, but he is not far down the list.

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Here is the way I see it. We should be comparing Mobley to David Wesley.

With the Kings this year Cat averaged 3.4apg. With us David Wesley averaged 2.9. While Cat has a higher average, he played about 4.6 more mpg and his team took about 7 more shots a game. I think this is pretty much a wash in the assist department.
    Tie.

On offense we need the guys that aren't Yao Ming or Tracy McGrady to be able to knock down open jumpers. From the 2 position, threes in particular are very important. Mobley was third in the league in three point field goal percentage at 43.9%. Wesley was an average 37.5%.
    Big Edge Mobley.

On defense this year Wesley was huge. He was our best perimeter defender. Mobley is certainly not known for this. However, I believe he is an underrated defensive player. With his quickness and long arms I can't help but think if we had him against the Mavs that he would have provided a tougher matchup for Finley and Stackhouse. However Wesley gets the edge.
    Edge Wesley.

I don't know if you guys noticed but Wesley cannot handle the rock. Mobley's ballhandling is clearly better. Turnovers are higher for Cat but that is because he is asked to do more on offense because he is a more talented offensive player.
    Edge Mobley

Mobley is obviously a better scorer. I am not even going to make an argument. And this is a huge need for us.
    Big Edge Mobley.

A few other things, Mobley is younger, taller, quicker and a better rebounder. Wesley is wiser, stronger and potentially more coachable.

Overall Advantage Mobley.

I like Wesley a lot. He was huge in turning around our season. However if we can get Mobley we have to do it. I don't think it is likely, however, because all we can offer, barring new CBA, is 4 years at the MLE. Similar to Brent Barry's contract.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I view Cuttino Mobley as Mike James deluxe. He's bigger, about as quick, and a more consistent shooter.

If he wanted to come back and we took care of other needs, I'd take him back, as much for his defense as anything. Mobley is a very quick defender who can't get burned on lack of footspeed like the rest of our perimeter (save Mac and James). Fact is, he's become one of the best 3 point shooters in the league- better than anyone on our team.

Honestly though, I think Mobley's chip on his shoulder is too big to let him come here. It's what made him become a player in this league out of a 2nd round pick, but I don't think he could be happy playing next to the reason he left Houston in the first place (Juwan Howard...err, TMac).

If Mobley comes, James has to go imo- JVG would kill someone if those 2 were in the backcourt together. It's a matter of creating other problems despite solving others. We'll see how CD wants to handle it.

I'd imagine a sign and trade of Wesley for Mobley straight up would work from the Kings perspective.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

or dont have the time to mess with it when others have stated the facts much clearer than I can.

Im very comfortable with my knowledge that Cat proved the qualities you infer on him as inaccurate last season....it irritates me to no end when ppl like hardwood and you seem to overlook how well he integrated into VG's system cause it proves you wrong.

btw....was I talking to you?
    Im quite sure if hardwood feels the need to reply to me...he will.

until then....and until I attack you personally....shut the hell up.

btwbtw....and this post doesnt count as attacking you presonally since you felt the need to take me to task in a pissing contest you werent invited to...its more of a response to your attack....childish indeed...whatever...you dont like me...the ignore list link is in my profile...use it

9. Valio!

Valio! Member

A pissing contest?! Cool! What are the rules? I mean is it judged on accuracy? or distance or length of time or ...

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

color

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It would be great to have Cat back on this team.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

I always liked Mobley, I thought his overall game was actually better than "you know who," but his decision-making often left me shaking my head. I am more concerned about a PF and a PG than a SG. The Rockets must shore up those two positions to progress. I can't see how we could get Mobley back as a kind of bonus. Seems unlikely, moneywise. But if the Rockets can get him for reasonable money, such a move has my vote. But a "solid" PF must be obtained first.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bottom line here is you,Rockets2k,disagree vehemently with my opinion.OK,that is your right.But it is not cool to attack me personally because of it.I really can think of no rational reason for you to behave in this manner.I feel like a gunfighter being called out in the old West....and why?Because I brought up what I thought to be a valid concern that had not been touched on yet.You might not have liked the way I put it,but it needs to be considered.It's an opinion dude.Go take your medication.

14. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

"I would love to play for Sacramento again, but I'm going to have the opportunity to opt out," Mobley said on "Best Damn Sports Show Period." "And I think it's best for me, and for my family and for the future of Cuttino."

Taking what he says at face value, it sounds like he does not want out of Sacramento but wants to return there.

Mobley--like Francis--is a polarizing player. A lot of people love him because he definitely wanted to win, and a lot of people hate him because he sometimes makes you want to tear your hair out with his shot selection. I still have a lot of bad memories of him, but the reason why I wouldn't want to bring him back are purely practical, not personal.

He clearly is opting out because he wants long-term financial security. Assuming there's no lockout, he is going to be 30 at the start of the season, the same age as Derek Fisher last year when the Warriors signed him to that ludicrous six-year deal. Even assuming that Mobley is better than Fisher, I wouldn't want the Rockets to make that kind of mistake, and I kind of doubt that he would agree to a reasonable deal (two or three years). Also, we need to use our assets this offseason to get an athletic 4 before we do anything else, and so we shouldn't even look at other positions to make sure that we don't use our assets prematurely.

Aside from financial considerations, Mobley still plays good defense, but our priority has to be getting younger and more athletic--and players on the wrong side of 30 tend to fall off athletically in a quick, unpredictable manner.

15. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Very good point tmac. If it takes a 6 year contract like Derek Fisher got last year we should pass on Cat.

16. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I agree with hardwood. Nobody is questioning his talent, but he still makes bonehead plays.

17. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

Touchy...Touchy....Like a rat in a corner

That ignore works both ways so find it now because you surely will not like what I have to say from this point on. Go on, find it and put me on ignore and don't read any further.

Yeah, I didn't think you could resist a "good pissing contest."

Firstly, I will reply to whomever I want to in a public forum. Even the rantings of know-nothings.

Secondly, you are still having trouble formulating decent arguments to the obvious which is Cat did not fit into the system (a team-oriented, controlled, half-court game with tough D). He was and still is a jack. That is why he is on his 3rd team and looking for his fourth. I guess all the GM's must have overlooked your insights because his phone is not ringing off the hook.

Thirdly, I don't put people on ignore. I am a big boy who can play nice in the playground and if I disagree with someone, then I respectfully do so.

Fourthly, don't you wish you just hit ignore when I told you to.

Now you have two choices. One, reply with more ranting, which will just prove your immaturity and lack of self-control to not put me on ignore. Or, two, don't reply and just brood about how I "dissed" you (which in your little world of 8000 posts apparently means something).

Have a nice day.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

We already have enough comp[laints about our guards not getting the ball to TMac or Yao. Spending 8 mil on Cat when that could goto a Power Forwad (Chandler or Swift) would be a STUPID move

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Cat is on his third team because the Rockets had an opportunity to get TMac and Weisbrod is the worst GM in the history of basketball.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Exactly. We probably wouldn't even have a shot at him right now if Orlando didn't have a moron running the front office. He'd still be on his second team with a new contract.

So, I guess if we did get Cat back, we could probably go ahead and chalk up another big "thanks" to Mr. John Weisbrod. :)