1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are all Republicans this stupid?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman95, Feb 28, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

First of all nobody is stupid just because they are in a certain political group. But this is selective thinking because, while the media made a big deal out of the people who wanted to vote for Gore using those ballots, a bunch of people, Republican, Democrat and independent had trouble with it.

------------------
    Rocks2001 in disguise. . .

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

HAHAHA! I'll give the firecrackers and knives! [​IMG]

------------------
    Rocks2001 in disguise. . .

3. haven

haven Member

Here's a quote from Bush: When asked if he understood the separation of powers, Bush said: "It's the legislatures job to make the laws, and the executive's to interpret them."

I may be a word or two off there (from memory), but that's pretty much what he said. Damned fool.

And then there was that "they're trying to treat social security like it's some kind of federal program."

Also, sometime just look at one of his speeches. Then try to dissect the grammar. utterly impossible, it's atrocious.

In all honesty, I don't think he's a raving idiot. Probably very average. Which still means he's not really qualified for the position of President. Ah well... the masses are stupid.

BTW, Rocketman95: Did you know that the most educated 10% of America tends to be overwhelmingly liberal?

------------------
    Why is it that everytime BC defeats a major conference opponent, that opponent promptly goes on a losing streak?

PS. Notre Dame sucks

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Chill MoonBus! My son, now 17, was not instructed to demean the Dems; he just heard the word and got confused. It's just funny the way he reconstructed it!

When my son was in 8th grade, his school stopped buying their pizza on Pizza Day from Dominos because Tom Monaghan made donations to pro-life causes.

Now talk to me about brainwashing!

This was a schoolwide decision on which I had no input; in fact, I learned about it after the fact! The kids received some kind of cockeyed explanation that was supposed to justify the change. When I gave my kids (8th and 6th grades) a medical explanation of just what an abotion was, they were miffed by the new school policy on Pizza Day-- for God's sake.

Haven: Thomas Jefferson was such a notoriously bad public speaker that he had someone give his addresses for him. I'm not saying Bush is a TJ (almost no one is) but you are berating a man over a few slippages of the tongue. Since when is that any kind of barometer of political prowess? Remember, we are to beware the silver-tongued devil. After Clinton, I might modify that to "the silver haired devil!"

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.
    PowerbizOnline.com

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited March 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by RichRocket (edited March 01, 2001).]

5. Hydra

Hydra Member

Does that stat breakit down by major, or just how many degrees, etc. Because most of the people working here at Intel that I have talked to are more conservative, and they all have at least a BS in engineering.
    I would understand that statistic to only take into account the level of education, not the area. Where liberal arts majors might align themselves differently than science majors. Now if that is the case I don't know if I would say that a masters in music appreciation makes you more educated than a bachelors degree in computer engineering.

------------------
    "We messed with the Bull, and we got the horns." -- Larry Brown from AirBullard.com

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

[​IMG]

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Dubya said ambilavent during a sketch on SNL. I may not like George, but I think he and Mr. Gore showed alot of humility making fun of themselves on SNL.

------------------
    "Roses are red. Violets are blue. I'm a schizophrenic and so am I."

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no such thing as a masters in music education, you smart person, you. [​IMG]
    There are music theory (hard) and music history (not easy, either). And, of course, actual musicians who get advanced degrees for training.

Most liberal arts advanced degrees go to phd level. None are easy. All require a multitude of varied skills.

Computer science BS people are usually limited. [​IMG] Know computers, but not much else.

My wife got what you would label "inferior" undergraduate degrees (poly sci & tv, radio, film). She is now a programmer doing better than most computer science people. Know why? Because it is so terribly easy for her. [​IMG]

Don't try to make supid genralizations like that. Just makes you look silly. As you can see, I can do it too.

------------------
    Take an object.
    Do something to it.
    Do something else to it.
    " " " " "

9. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I hate to make people look stupid, but...

It's pretty easy to think you're right when you attribute wholly false statements and beliefs to your opponents.

Like when Al Gore talked about the importance of raping senior citizens.

Well he might have said 'saving' but I maybe heard that wrong.

(NOTE: These quotes were taken from CNN's transcript of Bush's speech)

------------------
    Things are tough all over, I know what you mean...

--Damon Johnson

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited March 02, 2001).]

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks Kagy, a good 36 hours after I admitted I misheard.

In case you missed out on the sarcasm, this topic was started in jest in reaction to TheFreak's post.

Thanks for paying attention.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

11. haven

haven Member

About the education issue:

1. I'm not sure about the breakdown among majors.

People who don't graduate HS tend to be democrats.

People who just graduate HS tend to be Reps.

People who just graduate college are pretty even, slight leaning towards REP.

People who stop after getting a masters lean to DEM

People who get PhD's are overwhelmingly DEM

I don't know, but it *makes sense* that most techies would be libertarian. Generally, such people aren't too sociall conservative, but often don't have the communitarian ethos of Democrats. The decision for them then becomes social values (liberal) versus economic values conservative). In that situation, most people are going to choose their POCKETBOOK.

I don't think this is immoral or wrong. I'm, personally, less fiscally liberal than I am socially. Extreme conservatives just give me the shivers when they talk about "family values," and "Christian education," and "condemning the new decadence."

I don't condemn Bush for a few slips of the tongue. He's actually BEEN WRONG ABOUT THE BALANCE OF POWER IN GOVERNMENT MANY TIMES. Much of it, you could just attribute to slips... but not that. How a President could not understand the function of various parts of gov is beyond me.

------------------
    Boston College - Big East -East Division Regular Season Champs

Worst to First in 2001!

[This message has been edited by haven (edited March 02, 2001).]

12. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Rocketman95: Apparently you don't know what sarcasm is. It doesn't involve a misunderstanding of the facts. Oops! Was the observation about the effects of cocaine use meant to apply to you or to Mr. President?

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.
    PowerbizOnline.com

13. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

No problem-- I just wanted to point out how biased or just plain dumb a person would have to be to A) mis-hear it that badly, and/or B) not check any of the available sources before assuming the worst and posting it.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, me and my two friends are dumb and biased, thanks for pointing that out. Now, if this post was to show why I really think all Republicans are stupid, then I would've checked the source, but since you still don't understand the original point of this thread even after me telling you I started this thread out of sarcasm, you're proving my point.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited March 02, 2001).]