1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Had No Idea Democrats had so little class

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheFreak, Feb 28, 2001.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

They all act pretty childish at the State of the Union address -- clapping when they agree and not when they don't.

I actually thought it was kind of funny how Bush played on it.

"Some say the tax cut is too much..." Camera shows Democrats stand and cheer, Republicans sitting on their hands.

"Some say it's not enough..."
    Camera shows Republicans stand and cheer, Democrats sit on their hands.

"I say it's just right!" Silence from congress, the reporters laugh.

One other thing I saw that was kind of silly, Dan Rather pointed out that many congressmen will show up hours ahead of time to get a choice seat -- next to the isle where the president enters, just so they can be on camera when he enters the room.

It's like a big fraternity -- they are all kids.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

HEL-LO!! It's funny how Republicans get instant brainlock when you mention this one to them. Freaking hilarious!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I don't remember anyone saying that many Republicans weren't also classless and juvenille oftentimes.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

4. AhPook

AhPook Member

Why is it childish to clap when you agree but not when you don't? Is it better to clap even though you don't agree with something?

I found the address to be more like church than a fraternity. I couldn't believe how many times they would stand up and clap, sit down, stand up and clap some more ... I kept waiting for them to break out into song.

------------------
    Brought to you by the letter M.

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

It's more the way they do it. They clap/don't clap based on what they think they are supposed to agree with according to their party line. When they clap, they stand up and cheer with enthusiasm. When they don't, they sit on their hands and stare straight ahead. Either way they look around at their compadres to make sure they made the right decision. As somebody pointed out earlier, they will occasionally start to clap, then stop if they goofed.

I don't think their applause is necessarily even linked to their individual stand on a given issue -- it's very obvious they are just doing it to get the other side's goat, and playing to the cameras. It's part of their strategerie. [​IMG]

On an occasion like that, I'd do like the rest of the people in attendance. I wouldn't sit on my hands unless I strongly disagreed, otherwise giving at least polite applause.

I didn't state it very clearly -- but it's hard to describe. If you watched it you know what I mean. [​IMG]

------------------
    Stay Cool...

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

[​IMG]

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

7. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Freak,

Yes, they were booing. Its the same type of reaction that the Republicans gave one of their own party members during the Republican Convention just because he was gay.

Who has the class here again?

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx
    See Homepage for reason.

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Actually, who has the clam chowder?

Clam Chowder!!!

------------------
    That team is not afraid of anybody in the East, and they've been playing that way -- George Karl on the Rockets.

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

"it's chow-da! say it right frenchy!"

------------------

10. haven

haven Member

TheFreak: I'm a VERY liberal democrat. But I agree with you that such is pretty classless. Justice Breyer has been a very good justice. His opinions have all been well-written, and justified.

Besides, he's a liberal himself [​IMG]. Why were they booing Breyer though? I don't get it. H e actually wanted a recount in Floriday, just thought that the way it was being currently undertaken was Unconstitutional.

A few more specifics?

------------------
    Boston College - Big East -East Division Regular Season Champs

Worst to First in 2001!