1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Please explain Yao's commitment to China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by utsrinu, May 16, 2005.

1. utsrinu

utsrinu Member

Today at lunch I listened to the guys talk about Yao's contract with the Chinese govt.

<b>Who knows the deals?</b>

I heard everything from 1/4 of his salary to 1/2 pre-tax of every penny he makes. What is true?

2. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

I could care less about his $$$. He has got enough from endorsement because of his background.

3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I heard their People's Congress (is it how they call it over there?) has a weekly debate about how much Yao should bring home in order to keep his country running.

4. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

the People's Congress meets once every year. The standing
    committee meets more often but still far from weekly :D

5. utsrinu

utsrinu Member

okay but daoes anyone know ther % and how many years he is bound to it? Is it for the life of his career?

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Forget the Chinese govnt keep him busy during the summer. Looks to me Yao's mind is already in China. Someone needs to drill his ear telling him that he needs to stay in US to improve his game. If he himself is not strong about it, they will keep pulling him back.

7. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Yao said that an olympic medal is more important to him than an NBA championship. That tells you where his priorities are. It's not like they're forcing him to go to China. He will never say no, but at the same time he wants to play for China. He's a very loyal person. Unfortunately, what's good for the Chinese team, is not the best thing for the Rockets.

8. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

China is where Yao's money is.. he got he huge commercial contracts because he is famous in China. He is bigger than Jordan in China these days. He does not dare to do anything to damage that. He would lose millions the minute he alienated the Chinese people.

By the way, you all heard Yao signed large contracts with a lot of companies... how many Yao commercials have tyou seen on TV in the states?

9. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

Not really true.

Yao's endorsements have been as follows:

Nike - China only (and even then they didn't use him that much)

Visa Check Cards - US only (seen way too much)

Gatorade - Two US Commericals

Reebok - used in advertising in both China and US

China Unicom - China Only

Apple - US only ad campaign

Sina.com - China only

Sorrent - China only - phone basketball game

Garmin - US only

McDonald's - Global spokesperson, think China uses him a bit more in advertising

Seems to me like it's pretty evenly split down the middle, but thanks for playing.

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

But how many of those deals will be there if he pull out a 'Wang ZhiZhi'?

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Everything I read in 2002 said the Chinese govt got half.

Evan

12. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

It is sohu.com.

Yao himself once suggested his fans to visit sina.com less.

13. utsrinu

utsrinu Member

so is this contract of his for life or just a few more years?