1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Say goodbye to TV torrents

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vwiggin, May 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Their legal threats section is hilarious. :D

#21 vwiggin, May 14, 2005
    Last edited: May 14, 2005
  2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Well, in his haste to be clever, he might have bothered to look up the law in question.

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act is a US law, true, but its purpose was to enact into law treaties agreed to at the World Intellectual Property conference in 1996. Specifically, the WIPO treaties outlaw piracy of copyrighted material. And Sweden is a signatory of those treaties.

Meaning that he's cooked whether he thinks it's silly or not. I would venture a guess that his "lawyers" are his beer buddies-- I would hate to think any lawyer could be dumb enough to misinterpret a situation that badly.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So the question is if they make these sites, say, co-op's, where each user pays a penny, and then becomes an owner of the technology, would it then be legal? It would pretty much be like Tivo.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I understand your points Kagy, but in the end I don't really see a difference between remembering to tape something on tv so that you can watch it later, or starting a download so that you can watch a show later.

5. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Even if it's the issue of commercials not being seen on the downloaded shows, what if they were just included instead of cut out?

6. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

If the TV stations release a BitTorrent of my favorites shows with commercials that I cannot skip through, I would definitely download it.

This is a great deal for the advertisers, because they can track how many people are downloading the torrents and see how many people are watching their shows. This is even more accurate gauge of product exposure than the regular Nelson family.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this is ridiculous because most of the time i cannot watch the shows i like when they air because of work or school. plus one of the shows i like to watch, Dr. Who airs on BBC and the only way I would get to view it is through downloading it on the internet through bt. not sure what will come of this i think its silly

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Provide a legal alternative so users do not "have" to download them illegally? You don't HAVE to download them at all.

You say that until they come up with an alternative, there is nothing they can do? Wrong. They can hold you liable for copyright infringement. They can do so either civilly or criminally. Meaning that they can sue you for damages (even the minimum statutory damages are quite steep) or they can refer you to the US Attorney for prosecution. You might not want to be so cavalier about it until you know the state of the law.

You say they have to provide an alternative. Not even the DMCA says that. In fact, the DMCA suggests that if you use an ISP to connect to the Internet and you use it to infringe on a copyright, then your ISP could be held liable for contributory infringement.

Enjoy.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

What other sites, Dave?

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member